Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer boots as well, by the way. I only wear dress shoes when I have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
      I prefer boots as well, by the way. I only wear dress shoes when I have to.
      Yeah I think boots are badass. Whenever friends come over and see my shoe rack they all think my shoe collection is boring because there's no "variety". I have two work boots, and 4 pairs of dress boots. They are all medium brown, dark brown, or color 8/burgundy and 3 of those are captoe boots. Their argument is that unless someone is paying particular attention to my shoes, it would seem as if I am wearing the same shoes everyday. I can see that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by movoblast View Post
        Yeah I think boots are badass. Whenever friends come over and see my shoe rack they all think my shoe collection is boring because there's no "variety". I have two work boots, and 4 pairs of dress boots. They are all medium brown, dark brown, or color 8/burgundy and 3 of those are captoe boots. Their argument is that unless someone is paying particular attention to my shoes, it would seem as if I am wearing the same shoes everyday. I can see that happening.
        That can happen with dress shoes too. For those who don't pay attention they don't see the difference between a semi-brouge and wingtip, etc... They don't see the difference because they don't know better.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
          Just got a crazy good deal on a pair of AE Williams on Amazon. Used the 20% email promo code, a gift card, and Amazon credit card reward points to get them down to $55! I've been wanting a dressy pair of dark brown wingtips for a while, so I'm pumped.
          First post here, digging those dark brown wingtips...how did you obtain the 20% promo code? I might purchase if I can apply 20% off
          Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
            Just got a crazy good deal on a pair of AE Williams on Amazon. Used the 20% email promo code, a gift card, and Amazon credit card reward points to get them down to $55! I've been wanting a dressy pair of dark brown wingtips for a while, so I'm pumped.
            Posted a quick review and some photos over here.

Comment

http://tinyurl.com/loytymq

http://tinyurl.com/lxc8zyx

http://tinyurl.com/kclprxj

Paid roughly 35$ for each.

I have no clue if they were a good deal or crap, but I liked them and its my entry into trying to dress a little more dapper.
              Last edited by ploneal78; March 11, 2014, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Got this JCF point collar dress shirt in white. $20.65 + tax and shipping.

I wanted something to replace my older white shirt, and this was cheap. I will use it for casual (no suit or tie) purposes in the spring/summer. Probably take out the collar stays, wear it slightly wrinkled.
                It seems a little wide in the chest and waist. Probably should have gotten the slim fit instead. I will try to post fit pictures later. Does anyone know if this will shrink? I don't feel like returning it.

Comment

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
                  Got this JCF point collar dress shirt in white. $20.65 + tax and shipping.

I wanted something to replace my older white shirt, and this was cheap. I will use it for casual (no suit or tie) purposes in the spring/summer. Probably take out the collar stays, wear it slightly wrinkled.
                  It seems a little wide in the chest and waist. Probably should have gotten the slim fit instead. I will try to post fit pictures later. Does anyone know if this will shrink? I don't feel like returning it.
                  I haven't experienced any shrinkage with my JCF dress shirts. The slims (Thompsons) fit me pretty darn good, but I just don't like the fabrics. They always seem very papery with no drape. It will be easy to wear it wrinkled =)

Comment

i ran over to this sample sale in nyc today after seeing pics of alfred sergeants being sold for $90, and came away with this black plain toe balmoral:

this was purely an impulse buy. i'm not well versed in alfred sergeant, this is actually my first, but i'm pretty sure it was worth the $90 brand new, minimal shop wear, fits well, and did i say $90?

Comment

Originally posted by fey View Post
                      i ran over to this sample sale in nyc today after seeing pics of alfred sergeants being sold for $90, and came away with this black plain toe balmoral:

this was purely an impulse buy. i'm not well versed in alfred sergeant, this is actually my first, but i'm pretty sure it was worth the $90 brand new, minimal shop wear, fits well, and did i say $90?
                      Congrats on an awesome deal. I would have bought it for sure at $90.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlcraft View Post
                        I haven't experienced any shrinkage with my JCF dress shirts. The slims (Thompsons) fit me pretty darn good, but I just don't like the fabrics. They always seem very papery with no drape. It will be easy to wear it wrinkled =)
                        I'll agree with the wrinkling, I have that exact shirt and it seems that no amount of steam will ever smooth that thing out.

Don't run it through the dryer, I've had other JCF dress shirts shrink considerably from drying (back when I used to machine dry all my clothes.)

Comment

[MENTION=6587]andrewlcraft[/MENTION] I know, I wasn't expecting much in terms of fabric quality for that price.
                          [MENTION=6367]fey[/MENTION] good buy. I would have bought it too.
                          [MENTION=6917]dackman[/MENTION] actually I was hoping for some mild shrinkage. maybe I will try running it through the light heat cycle dryer.

Comment

[MENTION=6367]fey[/MENTION] with something like that, for $90 it's an absolute no brainer. Those shoes are gorgeous.

I recently picked up some shirts from Uniqlo. Two OCBDs, two chambray utility shirts, and one dark denim shirt. Oddly enough, the denim one is the softest of them all, but overall I'm quite pleased with the quality and the fit.

I also had two Schott 740C black peacoats arrive, in size 38 and 40. Unfortunately, neither one of them fit me properly, and now I need to decide whether to return them, or try to unload them here or on ebay. Can't win them all, I guess.

Comment

http://goo.gl/Cfz34k

http://goo.gl/W65aTO

http://goo.gl/jdCvsT

So with all this talk on the ebay sticky, I'd like you guys to opine upon my recent ebay purchases. Paid roughly 35$ including shipping for each pair. The florsheim purchase was an accident, of sorts. I'd a had a few tasty adult beverages and one thing led to another... I was going to hold out on buying some AE wingtips, but meh, its only $35
                              Last edited by ploneal78; March 12, 2014, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by movoblast View Post
                                Congrats on an awesome deal. I would have bought it for sure at $90.
                                Originally posted by LCDR View Post
                                [MENTION=6367]fey[/MENTION] good buy. I would have bought it too.
                                Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
                                [MENTION=6367]fey[/MENTION] with something like that, for $90 it's an absolute no brainer. Those shoes are gorgeous.
                                agreed! it looks like it was from the fw12 season, so i don't know what they've been up to since then. but they are basically untouched. i was a little worried that there would be some "shortcuts" taken being that it was a special make up for surface to air, but after handling it i was pretty confident in the quality of the thing. the finishing is exceptional and about the same level as my carminas. very nice welt stitching and overall, beveled waist, channeled soles, and great quality calf.
                                Last edited by fey; March 12, 2014, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X