Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Purchases

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Great. Thanks!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Teej View Post
      Just got the J Crew Factory Thompson Suit Jacket Chino in Warm Navy. It's definitely darker than the pictures but overall I like it. Been needing a cotton blazer to wear to the office in the summer.
      Teej, I'm waiting on the same jacket to arrive hopefully withing the next week or so. I've heard ohter posters say how dark it is and have been on pins and needles since. Like you, I wanted it as a warm weather cotton blazer but everyone claims it is just way too dark for a navy jacket. If you don't mind me asking what are your thoughts and what kind of trouser combinations do see yourself using it with? Thanks in advance for any tips!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by mjn082 View Post
        Teej, I'm waiting on the same jacket to arrive hopefully withing the next week or so. I've heard ohter posters say how dark it is and have been on pins and needles since. Like you, I wanted it as a warm weather cotton blazer but everyone claims it is just way too dark for a navy jacket. If you don't mind me asking what are your thoughts and what kind of trouser combinations do see yourself using it with? Thanks in advance for any tips!
        I think it looks fine really. I don't mind the dark color of it. I see myself wearing it with a lot of stuff, it's a navy blazer so its pretty versatile. I plan on wearing it with grey trousers and chinos mostly because thats what I have but I would also wear it with my khaki or salmon colored chinos as well.

        Comment


        • alden 975 shell longwing, on sale from jcrew



          it's a great feeling shoe, and alden definitely has a step up on ae in terms of shell shoes. but i have to say the chorus of "alden is worth the premium over ae because of their quality control" is just nonsense. i've seen many more production flaws in alden firsts when compared to ae firsts. these have some lame finishing areas, and a lot of excess material in the broguing.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by fey View Post
            alden 975 shell longwing, on sale from jcrew



            it's a great feeling shoe, and alden definitely has a step up on ae in terms of shell shoes. but i have to say the chorus of "alden is worth the premium over ae because of their quality control" is just nonsense. i've seen many more production flaws in alden firsts when compared to ae firsts. these have some lame finishing areas, and a lot of excess material in the broguing.
            It's a damn sharp looking shoe and I have no doubt that it's very comfortable. I'd like to be able to claim that my lust for a pair of Alden shell longwings is based on some high-minded criteria such as quality control or durability (even if my assessment of the shoe's score on those criteria is wrong), but the fact is that it's almost entirely aesthetic. Obviously, given the price, they have to pass a certain quality threshold for me even to consider them, but both AE and Alden are beyond that point. But, the fact is that the Aldens just have a shape that, while only subtly different than the MacNeils, is significantly better to me on the subjective "how does this look" level. Either that, or I've guzzled so much of the Kool-Aid that I don't know the difference between my own opinion and hype anymore.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by fey View Post
              alden 975 shell longwing, on sale from jcrew



              it's a great feeling shoe, and alden definitely has a step up on ae in terms of shell shoes. but i have to say the chorus of "alden is worth the premium over ae because of their quality control" is just nonsense. i've seen many more production flaws in alden firsts when compared to ae firsts. these have some lame finishing areas, and a lot of excess material in the broguing.
              But they're just so pretty!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by fey View Post
                alden 975 shell longwing, on sale from jcrew



                it's a great feeling shoe, and alden definitely has a step up on ae in terms of shell shoes. but i have to say the chorus of "alden is worth the premium over ae because of their quality control" is just nonsense. i've seen many more production flaws in alden firsts when compared to ae firsts. these have some lame finishing areas, and a lot of excess material in the broguing.
                My experience has been the exact opposite. I've got a pair of Alden firsts and a pair of Alden seconds and they both trump all of the AE's I've ever owned in terms of quality. I also do prefer Alden's aesthetic over AE. But that's a matter of preference. I have a feeling that the experience might be different for everyone.

                Comment


                • Just got a pair of j crew factory chinos in navy. I really needed a pair. I'm waiting on some CT Shirts to come in. The extra slim was too slim so I traded them in for the slim fit versions.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                    It's a damn sharp looking shoe and I have no doubt that it's very comfortable. I'd like to be able to claim that my lust for a pair of Alden shell longwings is based on some high-minded criteria such as quality control or durability (even if my assessment of the shoe's score on those criteria is wrong), but the fact is that it's almost entirely aesthetic. Obviously, given the price, they have to pass a certain quality threshold for me even to consider them, but both AE and Alden are beyond that point. But, the fact is that the Aldens just have a shape that, while only subtly different than the MacNeils, is significantly better to me on the subjective "how does this look" level. Either that, or I've guzzled so much of the Kool-Aid that I don't know the difference between my own opinion and hype anymore.
                    I wanted these in lieu of the macneil for the same reason. The Barrie last is much nicer than the pointy last of the macneil

                    Comment


                    • I just received this wool vest in the mail from Dillard's. I'm wearing it for the first time today. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it's an extremely dark blackwatch. I don't own anything else like it, and I'm liking it more and more. I'm wearing it either completely open or buttoned like a blazer.



                      http://www.dillards.com/product/_301...y-_-MerchImage

                      It was down to about $31 after a recent 40% clearance sale. After applying about $30 of store credit for returning a Christmas gift (underwear), the vest only cost me about a buck or two. All I had to pay was the shipping.
                      Last edited by alan; March 7, 2014, 10:46 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by fey View Post
                        alden 975 shell longwing, on sale from jcrew

                        [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/B3gkYku.jpg[/IMG

                        it's a great feeling shoe, and alden definitely has a step up on ae in terms of shell shoes. but i have to say the chorus of "alden is worth the premium over ae because of their quality control" is just nonsense. i've seen many more production flaws in alden firsts when compared to ae firsts. these have some lame finishing areas, and a lot of excess material in the broguing.
                        Aldens quality control is pretty bad. I feel that the make ups they do for retailers like JCrew and other smaller shops has worse QC than their standard offerings. The quality and feel of Aldens are way superior than AE in my opinion. You just have to hope you get lucky and get one without any defects.

                        Comment


                        • Got these Alden suede wingtips in from Ebay.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                            Got these Alden suede wingtips in from Ebay.

                            Comment


                            • A Burgundy Horween Desert Boot popped up on 6pm.com in my size, so I grabbed it. Pretty excited for that to show up!

                              Comment


                              • http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-...s+strand+suede

                                Bought a pair of these last night. Originally retailed for $345, marked down to $202, and $161 & change after the 20% coupon. I've never been one of those that was fascinated with the Strand, but the price along with the need for a poor weather shoe sealed the deal. Once I treat the suede with some waterproofing these will be ready to go! Makes me wonder why AE doesn't include a Dainite sole option on more of their models.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X