This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I broke down and bought boots.

Red Wing 8111 Iron Rangers (amber harness)
    Red Wing 875 walnuts

Saved a good amout eBay both of them. 183.50$ each.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent k View Post
      Well I broke down and bought boots.

Red Wing 875 walnuts

I'm #jelly.

Comment

• I'm souped but my wallet isn't. I'm gonna start a thread "help me not buy anything until May"

Comment

Well I broke down and bought boots.

Red Wing 875 walnuts

SCORE!

And coincidentally, I made my way to a real Red Wings store today. I'm in love. I scored my own Red Wings today. 877s. Brand spanking new, but I love them. Did I mention that I love them?

I could have gone with any of a number of choices in that store. Wow. First time in I don't know how long in a shopping experience that I felt like a kid in candy store. I looked seriously at the 875s--they were a helluva lot easier to put on too. But ulitimately I wanted something that said that McQueen biker look.

I sized down from my typical size 10 in most footwear, to a 9.5, and damn they're tight. The laconic sales guy actually cracked just the hint of a smile as a struggled like Cinderella's sisters to get the right one on. "I bet you have a high instep." The guy could have stepped out of some semi-trailer cab, he seemed so out of context and matter of fact in the retail store. But he advised me to get them a little tight so that they mold to my feet. Advise me that "some guys who want this shoe" slice down the sides of the tongue to help make them easier to get on and off (not something I'm going to do). Told me about the year warranty, about the lifetime lace replacements (damn, these laces are STRONG!). Then brightened just a little after handing me my receipt when he said, "Thanks, bud."
          Last edited by Duvel; February 22nd, 2014, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Awesome Duvel! I have a Red Wing brick and mortar store 4 miles away from me. Found my size there and crap luck two on eBay were perfect. The 8111 were 8.5 EE and worn only a couple times the 875 in 8.5D are never worn. Love them. Awesome boots. My wallet hates me..... No buying clothing until May.
            Last edited by Brent k; February 22nd, 2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• They're incredible. Never thought I'd be so taken by a pair of boots, or any footwear, for that matter. I would be happy if I bought nothing but Red Wings for my feet here on out.

How do you find the sizing? I suspected that I would need to size down--I typically have to, with a boot. These are definitely tight, and I'm guessing they'll loosen up with wear?

Comment

• I went with the wider for the iron rangers should be good if not a wee bit long. The 875's I went 8.5 probably could have went with E width but such a good deal prevented me. From what I have read and the salesman at RW they will loosen up over time. I've heard the break in period isn't as long as some claim. Of course this all depends on your foot. My Clark's wallabees took forever to feel good and they don't typically have a long break in.

Hopefully the vibram sole of the 877 and 875 hold up well and don't get too dirty.

Comment

• I read somewhere that way back when farmers' wives liked the light-colored sole because it helped them tell if their husbands had cleaned their shoes before walking into the house from working in the fields.

But yeah, from photos I've seen, the vibram sole holds up against wear but it can get a dirty looking with wear. I don't mind that.

Comment

• Awesome I was worried about them looking like a crepe sole after a week.

Can't wait to get them in. Should start a Red Wing appreciation thread.

Comment

• I bet magic erasers will keep white soles looking white.

Comment

• Originally posted by alan View Post
                        I bet magic erasers will keep white soles looking white.
                        Do you use that with crepe soles?

Note to self. Alcohol + eBay = money missing from my checking account = I love my wardrobe.

Comment

• Originally posted by alan View Post
                          I bet magic erasers will keep white soles looking white.
                          Didn't do it on my wolverines... Toothpaste sure did though.

Comment

• Originally posted by JonB View Post
                            Didn't do it on my wolverines... Toothpaste sure did though.
                            That's really interesting. How strong of stains did it get out? I see a lot of those boots that I really like, but I spend a good amount of my day in truck yards so I just know I'll get grease and oil all over them. I'm thinking I will need to go for something more like the Iron Rangers and just avoid the white sole ) =

Nice pickups, Brent. It's reminding me how I want more boots ) =

Comment

• Originally posted by TravelingJ View Post
                              That's really interesting. How strong of stains did it get out? I see a lot of those boots that I really like, but I spend a good amount of my day in truck yards so I just know I'll get grease and oil all over them. I'm thinking I will need to go for something more like the Iron Rangers and just avoid the white sole ) =

Nice pickups, Brent. It's reminding me how I want more boots ) =
                              I hadn't cleaned them (the soles that is) since I bought them in Octoberish, and they have seen a lot of wear. The toothpaste was pretty effective probably both from the abrasion and also the baking soda. It hadn't really bothered me that much though... They are work boots after all.

Comment

Awesome I was worried about them looking like a crepe sole after a week.

Can't wait to get them in. Should start a Red Wing appreciation thread.
                                Great idea. Although it will also get me lusting after more Red Wings.

Regarding cleaning that sole, my opinion is that one shouldn't get too obsessed over it. This is a work boot, basically, and it is meant to look rugged, and it looks better a little roughed up and dirty. I doubt that people who used to wear this boot to ride motorcycles worried about getting a magic marker cleaner to keep it new looking.

Comment

Working...
                                X