Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Purchases

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Well lost my an eBay auction today over slept it. Iron rangers for 165$ was my max bid winner out bid me by $2.50....so I didn't buy them but still hunting.

    I did buy a Jack Spade Holmes lambswool cable knit scarf. Pretty awesome.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Brent k View Post
      Well lost my an eBay auction today over slept it. Iron rangers for 165$ was my max bid winner out bid me by $2.50....so I didn't buy them but still hunting.
      Hah, yeah it stings to lose like that. A while back, I was waiting last minute to bid on some AE Byrons going for cheap. At 20s mark, I started to bid but my wifi started acting up and the auction closed.

      Comment


        Originally posted by ninpb View Post
        Hah, yeah it stings to lose like that. A while back, I was waiting last minute to bid on some AE Byrons going for cheap. At 20s mark, I started to bid but my wifi started acting up and the auction closed.
        Use a sniper! I never ever actually place a bid myself. Just use a sniper and set it to bid with 6 seconds to go or something. I use Gixen but there are plenty of others.

        Comment


          Well my old card case is falling apart at the seems literally so time to get a new wallet. Just ordered this guy http://www.countryclubprep.com/acces...s-branson.html

          Comment


            Originally posted by s_crane View Post
            Well my old card case is falling apart at the seems literally so time to get a new wallet. Just ordered this guy http://www.countryclubprep.com/acces...s-branson.html
            'Merica.

            Comment


              Fey, those boots are going to be with you for a long time. I'm glad you like them! The thing that kept me from lusting after them was the tiny toe cap, though I'm guessing that's a throwback to some traditional look.

              Comment


                Stumbled upon a pair of these J Crew MacAlister field boots in dark khaki under my local store's clearance table. Lo and behold, they were my size! $85 out the door. Buttery soft Italian suede.

                Comment


                  Jealous of people with jcrews near by. I only have one and it's so small that there is no sale section. Just a bunch of the expensive stuff.

                  Comment


                    There is a watch blog that examines what James Bond wore in the films and there has always been a question about the gold watch he wears in Dr. No, at the casino in the opening scene, as well as a gold watch that he wore in You Only Live Twice. Screen caps have never been good enough to tell what was on his wrist and it was long thought to be a Rolex (he does wear an early Submariner in the film, as well). Back in December the guy who runs the blog said he found a photo of Cubby Broccoli wearing a gold Gruen watch, and it's always been said that Cubby gave Sean Connery the watch that was off his wrist for the scenes. I've been searching eBay regularly for a Gruen watch that matches the description on the blog: Arabic numbers mixed with batons and seconds at six. After searching for a couple months and turning up watches that were either too small (30mm) or had the wrong dial configurations I finally came across a new listing with a buy it now that sounded fair. In my excitement I bought it. When I looked back at the Gruen example on the 007 WatchBlog site, it differs in that the markings on his example are more art deco - but I am still happy with the purchase.



                    It is tiny by today's standards, 34mm, but I have super small wrists and had been looking for a smaller gold watch already. Super stoked to get this. It wasn't very expensive, so I am going to continue to keep an eye out for the exact watch the blog shows, but at least now I am open to trying to find one even good for parts or just the dial to swap.

                    Comment


                      The watch looks very nice. I have not heard of that brand before. Reminds me of vintage Omega.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by VespaMatt View Post
                        There is a watch blog that examines what James Bond wore in the films and there has always been a question about the gold watch he wears in Dr. No, at the casino in the opening scene, as well as a gold watch that he wore in You Only Live Twice. Screen caps have never been good enough to tell what was on his wrist and it was long thought to be a Rolex (he does wear an early Submariner in the film, as well). Back in December the guy who runs the blog said he found a photo of Cubby Broccoli wearing a gold Gruen watch, and it's always been said that Cubby gave Sean Connery the watch that was off his wrist for the scenes. I've been searching eBay regularly for a Gruen watch that matches the description on the blog: Arabic numbers mixed with batons and seconds at six. After searching for a couple months and turning up watches that were either too small (30mm) or had the wrong dial configurations I finally came across a new listing with a buy it now that sounded fair. In my excitement I bought it. When I looked back at the Gruen example on the 007 WatchBlog site, it differs in that the markings on his example are more art deco - but I am still happy with the purchase.



                        It is tiny by today's standards, 34mm, but I have super small wrists and had been looking for a smaller gold watch already. Super stoked to get this. It wasn't very expensive, so I am going to continue to keep an eye out for the exact watch the blog shows, but at least now I am open to trying to find one even good for parts or just the dial to swap.
                        That watch looks sweet! would you mind posting how much did it set you back by?

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by pratyk View Post
                          That watch looks sweet! would you mind posting how much did it set you back by?
                          Gruen isn't considered a high end brand, Buy It Now was set at $92.00 and I think he had bidding starting at like $70.00. I have seen working Gruens listed for anywhere between $20-$300. Most gold plated ones seem to sell pretty cheap, I'd say around the $60-$100 mark, but I have pretty much only found them in 30-31mm sizes. Since it was so close to the watch I wanted, and it was the right size, I just went ahead and did the Buy It Now. It hadn't been listed long and already had several watchers so I was afraid of losing it after searching for one for so long.

                          This is why, as long as you don't need a BIG watch, I always tell people who want to spend $300+ look into vintage watches. My first 'nice' watch was a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date from 1963 that cost me barely over $1k. Lots of great vintage Omegas, like LCDR pointed out, going for even less than that. Heck, I bought a girl a vintage Hermes watch (very similar to the Gruen) on eBay two Christmases ago for around the same amount I paid for this Gruen. I spent almost as much buying her a variety of straps and giving her a spring bar tool so she could change them out to match her outfits.

                          Comment


                            Gruen is a cheaper brand from that era. I'd place it near Benrus.

                            34mm isn't small it's classy. Also seems the big watch trend is at the tailend. 39-42mm are pretty common but I love a 36-42mm size.

                            Comment


                              Received my first shirt from Proper Cloth today. Ran home quick at lunch to unbox and check it out and try it on, and initial impressions are great. Luckily, I think I nailed the fit on the first try. Love the fabric. It's their white cavalry twill, and it feels wonderful with the soft Milano cutaway collar and soft cuffs. It drapes very nicely. I'll evaluate some more after work and I'll work on a thread for some real details and pics, at least by this weekend.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Geraldo
                                Very nice...

                                Spammer ban him.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X