This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PREID View Post
    What size do you wear in some other shoes....for comparison?
    Mercanti - 11.5D
    Cole Haan - 10.5D
    J&M - 10.5D
    Wolverine 1K - 10D
    Clarks DB - 10D

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
      Recently found out that Johnston & Murphy has a factory in Nashville for their handmade "Custom Select" shoe line, and they also have a factory outlet store. A new family member works for J&M's parent company (and gets a discount), so we decided to drop by the factory store over the weekend. I know that J&M has seen some quality issues in the past, especially in the leathers they use, but most of the pairs I looked at and tried on felt on-par for their normal price. Certainly not as good as an Alden or an Allen Edmonds shoe, but close enough for my small budget.

For the price of one nice pair of Allen Edmonds, I picked up four pairs of Goodyear-welted J&M Private Select "seconds":

1. Aldrich II Cap-Toe in mocha - LINK
      2. Hyde Park II Cap-Toe in black - LINK
      3. Hutchins Cap-Toe Boot in black - LINK
      4. Lefler Cap-Toe Boot in chocolate suede - LINK

We'll see how they change and evolve over time. Hopefully this was a good investment..
      Nice! I used to work for J&M and those are their "higher end" models. The custom select are the best, never got a pair of those.

Comment

My Bonobos purchases arrived. Two washed chino blazers, gray and blue, sized small and medium respectively. They look good and feel good, but the fit... Leaves much to be desired. And the Dunmore blazer arrived too. I love the look of it, the material, and it looks like an even better version of their Nottingham blazers. It even seems to fit me reasonably well in the chest and waist. The downside? Its shoulders are too wide, pretty substantially so. I just can't catch a break with blazers.

But I did console myself by purchasing the Sweat box from bespokepost, using the 30% off code to knock it down to $30ish. At that price it seems worth it, since I currently have no duffle bag of my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Teej View Post
          Nice! I used to work for J&M and those are their "higher end" models. The custom select are the best, never got a pair of those.
          I ebayed a barely used aldrich and I really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post

The shaggy dog fit looks great! Though, I'm now a bit worried because I'm a different build than you and ordered the same size. Fingers crossed...

Comment

Aside from two shirts back in December, I don't think of bought any clothes or shoes in at least six months. However, I just put this cashmere blend coat (in black) on hold at Nordstrom Rack:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/john-w-n...p-coat/3386937

The original retail price was $495, but I'll be picking it up tomorrow for $92 and change. Not too shabby!

Comment

Originally posted by Lchow1 View Post
                The shaggy dog fit looks great! Though, I'm now a bit worried because I'm a different build than you and ordered the same size. Fingers crossed...
                Thanks. That's why I picked up 3 different colors. I would have taken 1 or 2 more but they were out of my size. I tried a standard J Press shaggy dog in a size down and it was still much too big. The main issue was that there was way too much material under the sleeves.

I think you'll be fine since they are pretty easy to stretch out.

Comment

Tickled: picked up a Theory structured cotton blazer (Kris HL) at Nordstrom Rack on the 25% off sale. Retail for jacket = $495 (hah!) Price with discount: $92.

Comment

Thanks. That's why I picked up 3 different colors. I would have taken 1 or 2 more but they were out of my size. I tried a standard J Press shaggy dog in a size down and it was still much too big. The main issue was that there was way too much material under the sleeves.

Seems like the snow may have delayed shipment of the sweater a bit, but looking forward to finding out!

On an unrelated note, I just got some AE 2nds, snuff suede Amok's.

Pros:No noticeable defects, coloring is darker than pictures which is perfect for versatility with navy, charcoal, gray, tan, khaki, etc. The silhouette is sleek and the last is wide enough for my EEE feet.

Cons: would have prefered Danite Soles, don't love the contrast stitching and lastly, a lined version would've been easier to dress up.

I would've gone with a Loake Pimlico but was worried about the width not being accommodating enough for my feet. We'll see how the suede lasts over time. Prepared to spray it with Tarrago nano suede and take her out for a spin.

Comment

I just got an email that the two York Street shaggy dogs I ordered this week are out of stock and my order is being cancelled. Bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                        I just got an email that the two York Street shaggy dogs I ordered this week are out of stock and my order is being cancelled. Bummer.
                        I have a feeling that's going to happen to a lot of people who ordered an M, L, or maybe even S.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post

I got the same email today for the charcoal shaggy dog in small. I ordered it on Monday and got a confirmation immediately, but this today:

"Thank you for your order from J.Press.
                          Unfortunately we are unable to process your order #10651. The item your ordered is out of stock.
                          On 2/10/2014, J.Press update the online store for spring/summer 2014 and that time, had a system error that incorrect item stock information appeared on the website.
                          We apologize for the big error occurred and inconvenience.
                          Regrettably your order #10651 will be cancelled today.

Again we deeply apologize for the matter."

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
                            My weakness is strong ...

Grenson cap toe boots sold, AS suede cap boots ordered!

These arrived today! If anyone was on the fence about buying them, they are awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
                              These arrived today! If anyone was on the fence about buying them, they are awesome!
                              for that price, they better be

Comment

Charles Tyrwhitt is having a sale ($39.50ea) plus free shipping so I bought one of their extra trim fit shirts to try out.

Comment

Working...
                                X