Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^I got the Hutchins in cognac. I really like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
      Nice score. The quality should be more than adequate. We're (some of us, myself included) turning in to shoe snobs because there's always something bigger or better but I personally don't use mine nearly enough to get to the point that I will need to resole them for at least 5-10 years. At that rate I could go with cemented shoes and be fine with them for a very long time.

I'm not a fan of that last one though. Why'd you get all cap-toes? No wingtips or any other styles in there.
      That was one of my thoughts as well; I simply abuse most of my work shoes, so I'd hate to resole an Alden every six months. At this rate, I can cycle through these and keep them going at a cheaper rate.

The last one is a bit misleading. I couldn't find a photo of that one in chocolate suede, which is what I bought, and looks WAY better in person.

The wingtips they had were long wings, and I'm just not a fan.

Comment

My weakness is strong ...

Grenson cap toe boots sold, AS suede cap boots ordered!

Comment

Just received my first pair of Church's and my first Chukka. Not sure why everyone harps on them after Prada bought them out years ago, maybe people don't like their new unique lines... Their traditional shoes seem fantastic. Quality seems excellent. Just wish my foot would cooperate, injured it while running. =/

Last edited by Vanquish; February 11, 2014, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post

Hahaha. I saw those at NMWA and thought they looked gorgeous but I had just picked up the Alden captoe boots a few weeks ago.

I can relate though as I ordered 2 pairs of Alden chukkas that should arrive this week sometime. Planning on keeping 1 of them but wanted to see and try both on in person. 1 is kudu leather with a lug sole so it should be great for any weather/terrain. The other is a much more expensive Ravello shell with leather soles. I know which one is the practical choice but if the Ravellos are gorgeous in person

Comment

My Grensons were a lighter tan with a leather sole so I just wasn't wearing them much. I'll spray these with some Nano Protector and wear the hell out of 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post

I approve.

Comment

Another nice pickup Fred... I aspire to a similar shoe collection as yours someday!

Comment

The 2 J Press York St items I posted above came in today. I'm glad I sized up to a large. My usual medium would have been way too tight. Their stuff fits slimmer and tighter than anything I've tried before in any slim or tailored fit from BR, JCrew, Bonobos, etc.

Comment

I had my eyes on those AS but I've got some Alden cordovan boots (eventually) coming in - they're delayed til March 10th now - so I can't afford those suede boots. Really great pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                        I had my eyes on those AS but I've got some Alden cordovan boots (eventually) coming in - they're delayed til March 10th now - so I can't afford those suede boots. Really great pickup.
                        J crew sale?

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
                          Just bought these Polo RL snuff suede jodhpur boots, on sale for $99. Hopefully they fit..

These arrived yesterday. Ordered my normal 10.5D, but they were too tight - both in width and length. I feel like the 11s would be too large. Sad fact is losing $5 for a "restock fee" for shipping back.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
                            These arrived yesterday. Ordered my normal 10.5D, but they were too tight - both in width and length. I feel like the 11s would be too large. Sad fact is losing $5 for a "restock fee" for shipping back.
                            What size do you wear in some other shoes....for comparison?

Comment

Due to the comments in Joes featured post yesterday, there seems to be a lot of questions about sizing with the J Press York St stuff. This is what I mean by saying it's a 50/50 on whether you should size up 1 or not. I'm 5'7"-5'8" and 165 lbs and normally wear a medium. Both items pictured are a size large.

The sweatshirt looks like it would have fit better in a M since the shoulders are def an inch big on both sides and the sleeves are about an inch long. It wasn't worth spending the money on return shipping and then paying for shipping back to me. Plus it's a sweatshirt so if it fits a bit big, I can use it to wear around the house. Not too big a deal.

The hoodie fits great in a L and it's obvious that if I had ordered my usual size, it would have been way too tight and short in the body and sleeves. I had ordered a similar item in a M before and it was way too small which is why with this order I decided to size up in everything.

Comment

And for further sizing comparisons, here's a Shaggy Dog in my usual M. So as you can see, of the 2 items pictured here that fit me best 1 is a L and the other a M. It really is hit or miss and with them basically being final sale it's a tough call to make.

Comment

Working...
                                X