Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't remember if I posted a pic of them here or not but I wore my new Alden captoe shell boots today.

Comment

^ very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
        I wore my new Alden captoe shell boots today.
        Those look great!

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Very nice Aldens, Vicious.

Comment

Sweet boots Vicious! What is the outsole made of, leather, like the JCrew version?

Comment

Originally posted by sabrown View Post
                Sweet boots Vicious! What is the outsole made of, leather, like the JCrew version?
                Thanks guys. These were a special make up for Alden DC that have a mini lug sole on them. I had no intention of buying these or even knew about them when I went in to look at some other shoes. These were gorgeous in person and the versatility of the commando sole was what tipped me over the edge.

Comment

those are sweet vicious

Comment

I've walked past that store a ton, and have avoided going in so far, but now I'm tempted to at least check it out and maybe get sized for a few of their lasts. Of course we all know where that will lead...

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                      I've walked past that store a ton, and have avoided going in so far, but now I'm tempted to at least check it out and maybe get sized for a few of their lasts. Of course we all know where that will lead...
                      Alden DC? There's only 2 people that work there - Kathy who is the manager and Jim who was the guy who helped me. He was very helpful and let me try on as many different shoes as I needed to in order to get the proper fit. Super knowledgeable to. He could tell just from a few steps if a shoe looked like it was too tight or getting too much heel slippage, etc. But yes, it does lead you down a very expensive path.

Comment

With all the JPress York St talk, figured I should post the items I have coming in tomorrow. I had about $78 of credit from a month or two ago so this stuff cost me $7 towards my monthly budget. I sized up to a large in these. I figure it's a sweatshirt and a hoodie so I'd rather have it be a bit bigger than super tight.

Last edited by Vicious49; February 10, 2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

For Ben or anyone else wondering, this is the one I had to return that was skin tight in my normal size. I would have reordered it in a large except it was a bit thinner than I expected and it had elbow patches that you can't see in the pic.

Ben is right that there's a bunch of new stuff there this morning, especially in the accessories category. The socks, bags, and a few other items weren't there last week.

Comment

^ Really liking that henley hoodie. Looks like something Brooks Bros. would have included in their Red Fleece collection.

Recently found out that Johnston & Murphy has a factory in Nashville for their handmade "Custom Select" shoe line, and they also have a factory outlet store. A new family member works for J&M's parent company (and gets a discount), so we decided to drop by the factory store over the weekend. I know that J&M has seen some quality issues in the past, especially in the leathers they use, but most of the pairs I looked at and tried on felt on-par for their normal price. Certainly not as good as an Alden or an Allen Edmonds shoe, but close enough for my small budget.

For the price of one nice pair of Allen Edmonds, I picked up four pairs of Goodyear-welted J&M Private Select "seconds":

1. Aldrich II Cap-Toe in mocha - LINK
                            2. Hyde Park II Cap-Toe in black - LINK
                            3. Hutchins Cap-Toe Boot in black - LINK
                            4. Lefler Cap-Toe Boot in chocolate suede - LINK

We'll see how they change and evolve over time. Hopefully this was a good investment..

Comment

Nice haul! Really like those Hutchins Cap-Toe boots!

Comment

Nice score. The quality should be more than adequate. We're (some of us, myself included) turning in to shoe snobs because there's always something bigger or better but I personally don't use mine nearly enough to get to the point that I will need to resole them for at least 5-10 years. At that rate I could go with cemented shoes and be fine with them for a very long time.

I'm not a fan of that last one though. Why'd you get all cap-toes? No wingtips or any other styles in there.

Comment

Working...
                                X