Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shobeard, I really like the look of that suit.

Comment

I also stopped by Kamakura today. I was only planning on trying on a shirt to see what fit/size I was, but I ended up buying a blue OCBD while I was there. Turns out, because my neck is apparently freakishly out of proportion with the rest of my body, I have to buy shirts in their slimmest fit (Tokyo Slim) and with the shortest arms in which they offer my neck size. Even then, it doesn't fit me like s super slim fit shirt. It fits well, mind you, but it's weird being starkly confronted with the fact that I'm apparently at an extreme end of the bell curve. That said, the shirt is fantastic. The material is soft, the collar is substantial and has that nice roll, the buttons have heft without being too thick... I can definitely see what all the fuss is about.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
        Shobeard, I really like the look of that suit.
        Thanks!

By the way, when I read "Shobeard," I get a picture in my head kind of like this:

Last edited by Shomas; January 31, 2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
          I also stopped by Kamakura today. I was only planning on trying on a shirt to see what fit/size I was, but I ended up buying a blue OCBD while I was there. Turns out, because my neck is apparently freakishly out of proportion with the rest of my body, I have to buy shirts in their slimmest fit (Tokyo Slim) and with the shortest arms in which they offer my neck size. Even then, it doesn't fit me like s super slim fit shirt. It fits well, mind you, but it's weird being starkly confronted with the fact that I'm apparently at an extreme end of the bell curve. That said, the shirt is fantastic. The material is soft, the collar is substantial and has that nice roll, the buttons have heft without being too thick... I can definitely see what all the fuss is about.
          Well, I don't think you look freakish or ill-proportioned. Perhaps it's the shirts that are freakish.

Comment

Welcome to the club, Shomas! I have that shirt (also in the Tokyo Slim) and I seriously need to get more of their OCBDs... Okay, I don't SERIOUSLY NEED to, but I sure do want some!

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
              Well, I don't think you look freakish or ill-proportioned. Perhaps it's the shirts that are freakish.
              I appreciate the vote of confidence! However, it's just a peculiarity of my anatomy that my neck is wide. It's a rare off the rack shirt that fits decently slim in the body (I'm not looking for painted-on, just not circus-tent-wide) and still lets me button the top button. Obviously, mtm is ideal, but they are much pricier (and the cut and fabric of the Kamakura really is great).

Comment

All this talk of Kamakura really makes me want to buy something from them. Prices were actually more reasonable on their site than I expected (for some reason I thought they were over $100), but still too rich for my blood. However! I did just order two chambray shirts from a brand called Crate. Couldn't find very much about them, except some positive reviews on styleforum. Made in USA, so I figured I'd give it a shot, especially since I have no chambray shirts in my wardrobe.

Shomas, that suit looks great. And you're spot on about the color, in the photos it looks more gray than anything. I'm actually quite jealous that Bonobos fits you so well. I tried the Nottingham blazer in the past, and while it looked great, it was just a bit too constraining to actually keep.

Comment

I wore a $15 Target OCBD to work today, got compliments on it and my $125 clearance J Crew jacket, then went home, took the jacket off, and didn't give a damn about making dinner or doing the dishes with it on. Because in the end it's a $15 OCBD. I will probably never buy a fancy shirt.

Comment

Thanks! It does fit pretty TTS, or at least true to my size. I'm a 38R in general (that's what fits my shoulders)*, but depending on the garment, that can sometimes edge into being a little tight in the midsection. However, Bonobos clothes fit me really well and I've recently firmed up my midsection a bit, so this suit fits me perfectly. The only thing I had to have taken care of was hemming the pants, which come unfinished. Otherwise, it's like it was made for me - I don't even have the slight "x" off the button that I tend to get when a jacket fits close.

As for the color, in low or indoor light, it can look a bit grayish from a distance, but close up or in natural light, it's very much brown, but with flecks of red, yellow orange, tan (as well as gray). It's also just really nice fabric. It feels substantial and looks kind of like burlap, but it's very soft. Overall, I'm really happy with it.

*I might be able to fit a 40R on rare occasions, and I had a Suit Supply salesman try to convince me I was a 40R a couple of months ago (the shoulders of the jacket hanging over my actual shoulders told a different story), but I always start with 38R as my default assumption.
                    Thanks for the mini-review, S. I'm also a 38R but leaning in the other direction: I'd be swimming in any 40R and actually have a SS Napoli in 36R (that needed to be let out when I gained some size). So I feel better about passing on it. But it's a great looking suit and it seems about as good as it possibly gets for tweed in terms quality at that (40% off sale) price.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmond...p2047675.l2557

My first pair of Allen Edmonds, I can't wait for them to arrive!

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmond...p2047675.l2557

My first pair of Allen Edmonds, I can't wait for them to arrive!
                        Don't want to burst your bubble too bad, but $200 isn't that good of a deal. Most "brand new" AE shoes on eBay are factory seconds (meaning they have minor defects or blemishes). At the AE outlets, they often retail for well under $200, sometimes even as low as $125.

Comment

[QUOTE=bjmcgeever;150831]Don't want to burst your bubble too bad, but $200 isn't that good of a deal. Most "brand new" AE shoes on eBay are factory seconds (meaning they have minor defects or blemishes). At the AE outlets, they often retail for well under $200, sometimes even as low as $125.[/QUOTE

Umm.. i would say it depends on what style the shoe is. Sure you can find something like a Hale for $150 at a seconds sale, but you very rarely are going to find something like black Park Aves seconds in the $150 range.

Comment

Anybody know of deals on a pair of Red Wing 877s?

Comment

Originally posted by axedatta View Post

Umm.. i would say it depends on what style the shoe is. Sure you can find something like a Hale for $150 at a seconds sale, but you very rarely are going to find something like black Park Aves seconds in the $150 range.
                              You're correct that other styles go on sale more often. However, there should be at least one sale per year that will get the staple styles that low.

Comment

I was strolling around the mall yesterday and found this Express blazer on clearance. After my $30 off $75, paid $40 for it!

Comment

Working...
                                X