This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
    jonATL, what's wrong with the suit jacket? is it the wrinkling on the back view? i'm sorry, i don't see anything wrong on the front view.
    Some of these commenters were right on: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...00#post1503900

I'll post the finished product when fixed so you can see the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by jonATL View Post
      Some of these commenters were right on: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...00#post1503900
      Ok, thanks, now I have a better idea of what was wrong. I saw the rippling at the sides on the back view and the collar rolls myself, but I thought those could be easily fixed. Now that they pointed attention to the shoulders, I agree they may be a tad too wide, and drooping on the right. I also agree with them that a higher-rise pant may work better for you.
      The jacket length looks fine. Someone said the jacket was too short, but I still don't see how that is the case.

I'm sure I could find more and more fit imperfections on my own suits, but I don't want to make myself crazy over it. I have to accept that all my suits will not have a perfect fit.
      Like Joe said, Has fit critique gone too far?

Your suit will look good once the ripples and rolls are smoothed out.

Comment

I just received my tie from the recent Drake's website sale. It was not such a great deal as the one Fred got at the sidewalk sale, but I like the color and pattern of mine. I would not consider it a core wardrobe tie, but its a nice one to have. It is a silk printed foulard tie in navy blue. I'll probably wear it with one of my gray suits or my brown tweed sport coat.

Pictures of the unwrapping. The box seems to have changed since last year. It was previously just a plain dark blue box.
        My thoughts while reading this: It's almost worth buying nice things for the nice packaging alone. The most high end place I've ordered from is Mr. Porter, and the first time I got a delivery from them I was incredibly impressed by how neat and well packed it was. Very different from items from Nordstrom that just bounce around in their box.

But don't let my packaging commentary steal the spotlight. That new tie is fantastic, as are the others.

Comment

Your suit will look good once the ripples and rolls are smoothed out.
          If we were talking a ludlow suit, I'd be fine with it. But this was considerably more expensive.

And I just read Joe's article, and while he is entitled to his opinion, I don't really agree with his sentiments. A suit should fit well, and the proliferation of style sites have helped people learn what that means.

And there's nothing wrong with being a grammar hound.
          Last edited by jonATL; January 28, 2014, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Got both Chelseas in. Think I'm going with the Small. It's a bit tight if I cross my arms like I'm hugging myself but besides that it's a much better fit overall. The arms on the medium are just too long for me.

Comment

And for comparison purposes, here's the medium. I'll probably end up listing it on here before I put it on Ebay. Makes more sense than me trying to ship it back to the UK.

Comment

good pictures. yes, the small fits better, especially in the sleeves length.

Comment

This does not bode well for me...

Comment

I've been completely redoing my sweaters this sale season. Just bought another via Unionmade.

Comment

good pictures. yes, the small fits better, especially in the sleeves length.
                      Yeah. I think the M is better for someone who is more like 5'10"-6'.

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                      This does not bode well for me...
                      What size did you order?

Fred - I saw the extra 20% off union made coupon but I already have so many sweaters right now so I skipped it even though there's a few that tempted me.

Forgot to mention I picked up my first pair of shell cordovan shoes earlier today. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Comment

Medium. Oof. Here's hoping the flyweight fits slimmer, otherwise it's hitting the sale threads and I hope it goes fast because I don't want to buy a smaller size before offloading the current one. Already holding on to a bunch of things that need to sell.

Comment

Same here. Have about 7 pairs of shoes on eBay now and might have to add this jacket to the list soon as well. Just waiting to see if I get hit with a customs fee before I put it up for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                            Forgot to mention I picked up my first pair of shell cordovan shoes earlier today. I'll post pics tomorrow.
                            awww yea

Comment

Originally posted by fey View Post
                              awww yea

I went in to Alden DC expecting to pick up their chukkas in color 8 cordovan and their PTBs in black cordovan but didn't like either one in person. In person they are both clunky looking. I ended up liking a pair of captoe boots so much that I couldn't resist. They are gorgeous. Here's a pic someone posted of theirs on SF recently. They're color 8 cordovan and are on the sleeker Grant last. The Barrie last is a very good last for me according to the sales person since I have a very full foot but it doesn't look as sleek as some others.

Their PTBs were not attractive at all. I ended up getting the Dovers in black cordovan since they are much sleeker looking. I'm not sure about them though. I told them I'd have to wear them at home a bit and they might be coming back. I need a pair of plain black bluchers and I do like the Dovers a lot due to them being unlined.

I ended up saving a decent amount of money on tax too since I had them ship them to me. I'm in VA and the store is in DC so if it's shipped, no tax and it only takes 1 day for UPS to deliver it since I live so close.

Comment

yea the 990's are clunkers. i thought about them solely because a pair was immediately available to me with commando sole (oh hoho). i wanna see your dovers though! mine are maybe 3 months away...

in person, alden shell boots are breathtaking. pics really can't capture how awesome they are

Comment

Working...
                                X