This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post

Beautiful picture! I love the third tie from the left. I am ordering something similar from the Drake's website, but it will cost me a lot more. The brown one looks good too.

Its one of the perks for you guys who live in NYC. We in the Midwest pay less for cost-of-living, so I guess it evens out.

Comment

Love that tie on the left Fred! Might have to make some time to get down there before the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by PREID View Post
        Love that tie on the left Fred! Might have to make some time to get down there before the weekend.
        That was my favorite as well.

Comment

my haul from around 5pm tonight:

the selection of ties was much more boring or ugly than fred's selections by the time i got there. fred, did you see the clown tie? i'll be having nightmares of that one tonight...

Comment

Originally posted by fey View Post
            fred, did you see the clown tie? i'll be having nightmares of that one tonight...
            LOL! I think I must have missed that one!

Comment

My Drake's pick ups. From L to R: 100% wool, 100% cashmere, 100% silk.

Comment

I very rarely have to wear a tie...well that's a lie as I had to last semester for my judicial externship...but does someone mind taking the time to explain why these ties are such a great deal?

I'm sorry for my ignorance...

Comment

Originally posted by jmp4080 View Post
                  I very rarely have to wear a tie...well that's a lie as I had to last semester for my judicial externship...but does someone mind taking the time to explain why these ties are such a great deal?

I think it's just that they are drake's. I've heard nothing but good things about their ties. The guys over at Put This On are always praising them.

To those who got the ties, great haul. I don't know if I could pull off a lot of the ones that Fred got (but I do like them). The ones the other guys got are more up my alley, really like them. I've never gotten a brown tie before, really want to get one for next fall.

Comment

picked up the suede claiborne wingtips and some clarks bushacres at JCP today. both clearanced down to $12.97.

Comment

does someone mind taking the time to explain why these ties are such a great deal?
                      They're not really a great deal in a bang for your back sort of way. You can certainly find more than acceptable ties for much less money. But, holy hell, these ties are nice. Like, really freaking unbelievably you're-never-gonna-want-to-go-back-to-wearing-cheap-ties-again nice. I think the pics can make some of them seem more or less like any old tie but in person they're visually stunning and have amazing "hand."

Comment

Here's what I posted when someone asked basically the same question in my Drake's sale thread.
                        Here's a video describing their process: http://vimeo.com/52417780

That's pretty much why they are more expensive. One can purchase a tie made from cheap fabrics and sewn by robotics, or something that is made by hand with the highest quality fabrics and designs. The choice is really up to the individual. I really like Drake's because they have great fabrics which make a great knot, I can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into making a Drake's, and 95% of their ties are not ugly. Considering all the ugly ties out there, it's nice to have a tie maker where I could almost wear anything they make. They use really cool textures like shantung and boucle, and their ties always look like quality silk, not the cheap shiny stuff. Other faves include E. Marinella, E&G Cappelli, and Calabrese, but I probably have more Drake's ties than any other maker.

Originally posted by Teej View Post
                        I don't know if I could pull off a lot of the ones that Fred got (but I do like them). The ones the other guys got are more up my alley, really like them. I've never gotten a brown tie before, really want to get one for next fall.
                        Some of the colors/patterns definitely aren't for everyone, but these aren't exactly my first ties. With the exception of the second one in from the left, they were all filling color/pattern gaps in my tie wardrobe.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                          A buddy of mine told me you almost always get heel slippage with loafers in the beginning until you break them in and the sole gets used to flexing. Can anyone comment on if that's true?
                          I know it got lost in Fred's awesome ties pic but does anyone have a comment or experience with this?

Comment

I know it got lost in Fred's awesome ties pic but does anyone have a comment or experience with this?
                            I don't. Perhaps it's true but I'd be a little suspicious. I'd be worried it might slip more as the leather stretches out.

Comment

I used to wear loafers regularly and I never had heel slippage. I would worry that it would chafe the skin off of my heel.

Comment

leffot started preordering the alden ptb i've been eyeing just as i started weighing whether or not to get it or a different version with a commando sole... ended up going for it

http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/pre...pre-order.html

Comment

Working...
                                X