Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great purchases! I hit up the Georgetown J Crew after X-mas and walked out with 4 wool pocket squares in various colors and patterns, a navy lambswool crewneck, and light gray wool trousers made w/ Tollegno 1900 fabric in what seems like a tropical weight (no tailoring needed!) for $135ish. Wish I could afford something at the Barbour store, I tried on a large Ashby and it fit really well, would look fantastic over a blazer.

Comment

Georgetown? Are you in DC at the moment? I went to the Tyson's 2 jcrew store and they had nothing on clearance there. I do need to visit the barbour store in Georgetown so I can purchase a hood for my Bedale.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
        Georgetown? Are you in DC at the moment? I went to the Tyson's 2 jcrew store and they had nothing on clearance there. I do need to visit the barbour store in Georgetown so I can purchase a hood for my Bedale.
        Yep, well, MD visiting my family. It was actually my first visit to Georgetown and I tried to make the most of it - hit most of the stores on my list except for the Barney's Co-op. Didn't see much I liked at the RL store and was treated incredibly rudely by a floor salesperson when I politely asked if they had any C&J or Gaziano and Girling shoes in stock (asked about the two brands on separate occasions and was treated equally rudely - no eye contact, always walking away from me, rude tone - each time). Was wearing denim, Wolverine 1000 Miles, gray lambswool crewneck, and the LEC sportsman oilcloth, not that it should matter.

Comment

Happy new year, all. I stopped by the J Crew Clearance center in Lynchburg on a drive down the east coast a couple days ago. Got a grey Ludlow chino jacket for $40, some Ludlow cotton-linen slim pants in brown birdseye for $40, and a pair of those Preston bluchers in black for $70-- and 15% off all that because of my educator discount. If you're a 40L, there are a ton of jackets on sale. Decent pant selection, but few shirts and not much else save a ton of black bluchers.

Comment

Wish I had known. I actually need a pair of black bluchers. It's one of the only things missing from my shoe collection.

Comment

They're all still there. It's just a storefront now -- no more crazy garbage bag events. At least at the Lynchburg one.

Comment

I'm pretty excited by my latest score, so I just gotta crow, and this seems to be the place to do it. I've been coveting a pair of 1000 Mile boots ever since the first time I saw a pair in a store, but with the pricetag being $350, I doubted they's ever go far enough on sale to come within range of my budget.

The Sierra Trading post seconds changed all that, but the couple of times they had anything in my size, I was too broke to do anything about it, and you really have to jump to get those especially in a common size. I lucked out on Tuesday though. I came home from work, did my regular search of their site for 1000 miles in size 11, and discovered they had a pair in brown. I didn't waste any time this time. I've watched them sell out before while I considered wether I could afford it. I'm pretty excited be be finally getting this long coveted item.

Comment

Originally posted by mattface View Post
                  I'm pretty excited by my latest score, so I just gotta crow, and this seems to be the place to do it. I've been coveting a pair of 1000 Mile boots ever since the first time I saw a pair in a store, but with the pricetag being $350, I doubted they's ever go far enough on sale to come within range of my budget.

The Sierra Trading post seconds changed all that, but the couple of times they had anything in my size, I was too broke to do anything about it, and you really have to jump to get those especially in a common size. I lucked out on Tuesday though. I came home from work, did my regular search of their site for 1000 miles in size 11, and discovered they had a pair in brown. I didn't waste any time this time. I've watched them sell out before while I considered wether I could afford it. I'm pretty excited be be finally getting this long coveted item.
                  Cheers, you'll no doubt enjoy them for many years to come.

Comment

Mattface, I know exactly what that's like. Hopefully they'll be in good condition when they come!

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                      Didn't see much I liked at the RL store and was treated incredibly rudely by a floor salesperson when I politely asked if they had any C&J or Gaziano and Girling shoes in stock (asked about the two brands on separate occasions and was treated equally rudely - no eye contact, always walking away from me, rude tone - each time). Was wearing denim, Wolverine 1000 Miles, gray lambswool crewneck, and the LEC sportsman oilcloth, not that it should matter.
                      I recently read an article somewhere, though I forget where, that discussed how customers are perceived by very high end retailers. Interestingly, and quite counterintuitively, the article suggested that customers who were less dressed up were more likely to make pricey high end purchases. The rationale was that people without a lot of money would feel out of place even walking in to a high end store without looking the part whereas people who were genuinely rich don't care at all about looking the part because they know they can afford to buy whatever they want. So maybe you weren't dressed down enough to look like a serious buyer of C&J or G&G! For that, you'd need to wear sweats or a tracksuit :P

Comment

^ Or the salesperson was just a genuine jerk. I've experienced that a lot lately, which I just dismiss as after-holiday curmudgeony.

Comment

Originally posted by mattface View Post

I ordered some in the same size the other day and they arrived just after Christmas. Fit perfect right out of the box and needed no break in. No major blemishes or anything that wouldn't happen with a few wears anyway. I was doing the same thing you were, checking every day. Guess they had more than one pair of 11's .

Comment

Originally posted by cm View Post
                            I ordered some in the same size the other day and they arrived just after Christmas. Fit perfect right out of the box and needed no break in. No major blemishes or anything that wouldn't happen with a few wears anyway. I was doing the same thing you were, checking every day. Guess they had more than one pair of 11's .
                            I didn't see any before Christmas, Every time I've looked recently they maybe had them in 7 and nothing else. So I guess you got em before (or after) I looked. Anyway, we both got a pair. YAY! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
                              ^ Or the salesperson was just a genuine jerk. I've experienced that a lot lately, which I just dismiss as after-holiday curmudgeony.
                              To be fair, Christmas is the most miserable time of the year for any retail worker.
                              Ben

Comment

i went to kamakura shirts on new years day to buy a $100 3-shirt grab bag. since each shirt is $80 a pop i thought why not. i'm now looking for an outfit for a yellow button down shirt lol

i did also get a perfectly usable light blue spread collar, which looks stunning with its quality. though i am between sleeve sizing and as a result my sleeve cuffs stick out quite a bit under a suit, which i know i am the only one that cares about it :P

Comment

Working...
                                X