This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
    I just might try some Superfeet or whatever this week before I decide to return these bad boys or not. What a shame, especially deal/price-wise if I do return them; but it does me no good to have sweet shoes that I can't/don't wear, ya'know?
    Instead of returning they would be a pretty easy flip if you wanted to eBay them. I would think you could do a BIN of $175 or so and sell them quickly, more if you're patient. At the very least, I'd toss them up on the forum at cost + hassle fee and see if someone wants them before they go back. They were a pretty insane price for C&Js.

Comment

Originally posted by Focuspants View Post
      Well got a discount code emailed to me from GILT, and I broke my spending break by getting a burgundy J Press shaggy dog sweater. Hoping it lives up to the hype, and hoping it fits.
      So jealous. Not sure how you're getting these codes from them. I hadn't purchased anything from them for the last few months until I ordered the shaggy dog as well but I still never got a code. Grrrr . . .

Comment

Originally posted by fey View Post
        i finally got through to theshoemart and got some alden seconds... and they are pretty intense for a first alden purchase...
        just opened the box to these, and they are INSANE

i've seen plenty of aldens before, including other shell boots, but these still blew my mind. the photo does it no justice...

i do see the fault that made them seconds- a scuff on the inner side of the boot at the end of the welt, that was probably incurred during the welting. it is on the minor side and in a very hard to notice spot. if this is it, then i can absolutely live with these. i'm actually in a bit of shock over how incredible these are...

Comment

Shaggy dog sweater came in and it is seriously light and soft. Not bulky at all like I was expecting. I had ordered it in M and S not sure how the sizing would be but it is a relatively trim fit. A M fits me perfectly. This is the York St version so not sure if it's cut differently than the standard J Press version. Also not sure why the York St MSRP is a bit higher either.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
            I finally ordered some shoe trees from Jos A Bank yesterday. They were on sale for8.50 so I ordered 10 pair. Ill snap some pics when they arrive.
            They are frequently at this price point, between $7.50/pair (last December) and $8.50-$8.66/pair.

Comment

I bought three pairs of them the last time they had their B1G2 sale and they suck compared to my Woodlore and AE shoe trees. No split toe, and the hinges and movements are really stiff and difficult to compress.

Comment

Originally posted by fey View Post
                just opened the box to these, and they are INSANE

i've seen plenty of aldens before, including other shell boots, but these still blew my mind. the photo does it no justice...

fey, Beautiful boots! Nice purchase.

Comment

Found a ton of cedar shoe trees at my local Big Lots. $3 each. Went home hit them with sand paper and really brought them back to life.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                    Shaggy dog sweater came in and it is seriously light and soft. Not bulky at all like I was expecting. I had ordered it in M and S not sure how the sizing would be but it is a relatively trim fit. A M fits me perfectly. This is the York St version so not sure if it's cut differently than the standard J Press version. Also not sure why the York St MSRP is a bit higher either.
                    I came really close to ordering one, but was torn between ordering a Medium, and sizing down to a Small. It seems the York St. is supposed to be somewhat more slim fit than the main line J.Press. Then they sold out of Mediums, so I decided it wasn't meant to be!

I've been on a bit of a splurge lately. Today, I stopped in my local J.Crew B&M today and grabbed this blue Ludlow in English Wool blazer for $140 (same one that has been featured by Joe on the main site here and here):

Also picked up two pocket squares:

English Herringbone Wool

and a wool paisley one that I can't find an image of - they were $21 each. These will be my Christmas presents from my wife to me

And while in NYC this past weekend, I dropped in Kamakura Shirts - and walked out with two new shirts: a light blue OCBD, and a medium blue herringbone cutaway collar dress shirt. I have to say I was really impressed with their shirts, as well as some of their ties. They still have the free cashmere scarf promo - so I walked out with one of those, and a free grey and white striped pocket square:

Comment

Some more pics:

blue OCBD:

blue herringbone:

Cashmere scarf:

Now you all can look forward to my closet clearing sale - hopefully starting this weekend!

Comment

How is the sizing on those shirts. I'm assuming you went with the NY slim fit. Did you go with your normal neck and arm size?

Comment

I had been reading that the sweaters actually did fit quite trim, which is what I was hoping for. I get emailed about a code a week. I think that the codes are general, as in they are not unique, but i believe the code and % is tied to your account specifically. Its some sort of strange thing where you and I would have the same code if we both got sent it, but you wouldnt be able to use it if they didnt specifically send it to you. Not sure how to work around it. Maybe try calling their CS and letting them know youre not receiving them.

Comment

How is the sizing on those shirts. I'm assuming you went with the NY slim fit. Did you go with your normal neck and arm size?
                            I actually went with the "Japan Slim Fit," which I assume is the same as the Tokyo Slim Fit on their website? The sales associate measured me and then I tried on some sample shirts. I didn't try on the ones I bought until I got home though, and while the OCBD fits like a dream, the herringbone is just a bit tighter around the upper back when I cross my arms. I asked about whether they shrink and was told they're pre-shrunk, so won't shrink any further. I'll have to be careful with the herringbone, since if it does shrinks, it will be unwearable. As for sizing, I went with 15 1/3 - 34 1/3 (I believe its a 39 in cm) - I typically wear a 15 1/2 in US sizing, but collars often fit a tiny bit large at that size.

In general, I'd say the fit is comparable to the CT ESF, but the arms are a bit slimmer. In terms of quality, the fabric is noticeably better - they're really nice shirts.

Comment

kamakura is still giving out free stuff? not that i need any more shirts... but free stuff is so tempting

Comment

just received my brand new first quality iron rangers (for $105... lol) but wow they are huuuuuge

i sized down a half, and i can at least do one more half size down again. i guess thick socks are a given, and maybe an insert...

for giggles, here's another shot of my haul from yesterday, the shell alden boots

Comment

Working...
                                X