Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That seersucker suit looks dope, hornsup. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

@jose -- will do. Curious to see how their "new" fit suiting will be, as their old suiting wasn't ideal for me, mainly in the chest which is where they say they fixed things. I wanted to get one last summer, but they'd run out of my size before I got around to ordering. Wish I had a 20% code that worked, but I wasn't about to chance it (and/or not have the suit for the year's summer season).

Comment

So theres a pretty famous mens store in Toronto called Tom's Place, and my dad grew up with the owner, so I get some extreeeeemelely good deals from him. He has a bi-annual sale at the convention centre here where he cleans out his stock. I got my summer work clothing budget from my boss who is also my dad (my clothes get a ton of wear so he gives me 500-750 each season to replace whatever I need to, add whatever I need to, and tailor whatever I need to) and I went shopping! I got 2 cotton SC's, 1 linnen SC, 1 really light wool SC and a Black Strellson top coat. Total was ~$400, and most things were Strellson. He also gave me 3 free ties!

The linnen and cotton ones are at the tailors right now, but the wool one fit really well OTR. Linnen ones were white/light blue striped and white/lightgrey stripe, the cotton one is an orange w/ white stripe, and the wool is a light brown with a subtle light blue plaid. Here are the pics I have, I will post pics of the rest when I get them back from the tailors next week!

edit* sorry for the shitty photo quality I was in a hurry and my stupid phones camera takes bad shots if youre moving at all haha.

Comment

@Focuspants I'm loving that subtle plaid SC. Nice pick up.

I bought these raw indigo denim selvedge jeans off Ebay at a great price. I've been waiting to get into raw denim until I got all the facts. These would definitely be considered introductory. I'm typically a 32 inseam but these are 34. I hear that's okay to do, size up in the inseam on raw denim but any input would be great. Can you hem selvedge denim??

As this is my first crack at raw denim, I'd appreciate any advice. I've read the selvedge thread thanks to Cannon but you can never have too much help.

http://www.durkl.com/collections/den...selvedge-denim

Comment

@Mathis, what's raw denim?

Comment

Someone else could get you a more comprehensive definition, but I'll do my best. Raw denim refers to the way denim is washed. It is considered high quality because 1) it is typically selvedge (though not always); and it is usually made from a higher quality often Japanese cotton. Selvedge is a seam technique that adds aesthetic quality and higher durability to jeans.

Basically, raw denim jeans are jeans that you invest in so that they are completely yours. Over time, the jeans will fade and fit exactly to your body type/shape. They are rarely if ever washed.

see these links for more info:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/dirtylaundry.jsp

http://threads.dappered.com/topic/raw-denim

If you're into jeans, there's apparently no better investment, but I wouldn't know yet because I've never owned a pair. But, they are also work; it takes time to get the tailored, completely personalized look.

EDIT: For Alan, exchange "invest" or "invest in" for purchase or some other verb of choice. Geez.

Comment

Wow, sounds awesome. Maybe someday I'll get a pair.

Comment

<rant>Clothing of any sort is not an investment (unless it's movie memorabilia or something similar).</rant>

Comment

@Alan I don't get it.

Comment

@Mathis, I think @Alan is referring to your comment that raw denim is something you "invest" in. It's a bit of a matter of semantics, clothing is of course not a financial investment in that you're generally not purchasing it with the goal of appreciation in value, but I think it's fine to say "invest" because you are increasing your "style value" in a sense.

Comment

It's a pet peeve when people misuse the word "investment". Like the guy at the jewelry store trying to tell you that it's ok if you buy a bigger ring than you should because it will only go up in value over time so it's an "investment". It's not an "investment" unless (a) it appreciates in value and (b) you intend to sell it someday. Otherwise, it's an "expense". :-P It just seems that people often justify purchases with that word when it's totally irrelevant.

Other things that aren't investments:
                        <ul>[*]Cars (except classics)[*]The last home you ever buy[*]Most home remodeling projects[/list]

Comment

Its like a car, when you drive it off the lot, its automatically worth less. Unless of course it is a collectors edition, or has some other value increasing property that 99.9999% of cars dont have. Thats what he meant. You will surely never get back what you paid for it. Good clothing may have some resale value, and the better the clothing, the better that resale value is (same as with cars), but you still "lose" money in the end.

Comment

@Alan -- those things can be investments... they're just really, really bad ones.

Comment

Okay, I understand. Everybody has their pet peeves. I certainly get the concept. Still fresh at this so I'm going with the knowledge I have.

Comment

Raw denim is unwashed and the indigo dye is kind of caked on the outside of the cotton fibers. Over time the dye flakes off where it's worn so you get nice wear patterns that are customized to your body and how you wear them. They also feel stiff and cool to the touch. Half of the aesthetic of selvage is cuffing the jeans to show the self-edge of the fabric, so being a little long is okay.

Comment

Working...
                                X