Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I liked the Xbox better than the PS2 and like the Xbox360 better than the PS3, I honestly feel no brand loyalty whatsoever to Xbox or Microsoft. My general observation has been that despite the PS3 being technically superior to the Xbox360 in some ways, the 360 has been a more successful console in practice due to design flaws of the PS3 that I honestly don't fully understand. My limited understanding is that the PS3 is theoretically a more powerful console, but the way it's set up makes it difficult or impossible for game developers to actually fully utilize its power. I like my 360 and have no interest in ever owning a PS3, but if it turns out the PS4 is, in practice, a superior console to the Xbox One, then I wouldn't shed any tears about switching. Especially since Microsoft claims the Xbox One will not be backwards compatible.

I haven't looked back since switching from Nintendo to Microsoft after the original Xbox came out, either. And I felt a lot more sentimental attachment to Nintendo than I do to Microsoft.
    Ben

Comment

I'll get a PS4 eventually, but I'm in no rush for it. Xbox One lost my support by mandating a Kinect with every purchase, costing $100 more than a PS4, and generally screwing up their reveal by threatening to have no used game market, a required internet connection, etc. All of that just left a bad taste in my mouth, so there's no way I could get one unless its competition turned out to be an IED instead of a console. The brand loyalty and rivalry, at least between Microsoft and Sony, is something I can't understand at all though. The PS3 and Xbox 360 were like twins. They had almost all the same games, very similar graphics, online play, etc. The only differences are a handful of exclusives, yet people argue about it with religious fervor. That's why I had a 360 for nearly the entire generation, and then got a PS3 for really cheap recently, because by this time a fair amount of exclusives have been released. It wasn't because I thought the 360 was particularly better, it just happened to work out that I got them in that order.

Lately, all I've been doing is playing games on the computer though. It's really hard to beat the prices on Steam and other similar services, to the point that I've purchased copies of games that I already own just so I could get rid of some older consoles.

Comment

This was on the clearance rack at BR, with the 30% off sale, it wasn't quite cheap, but I couldn't resist it.

cardiganed! by mattface, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
          I've thought about going that route, but I do really enjoy my Apple compatibility with everything I own. I don't go out to buy everything new all the time, but it is nice when they're pretty seamless. Also, I'm not sure I am buying into the latest Windows system that is on those... but it each his (or her) own!

Alan -- I hear you. I'd still need to likely get an Apple Mini or something comparable for my desk (my current MacBook Pro... which is from 2009 and has been through a lot with me, including a year of law school abuse), so I get the idea of going with the MacBook Air. Tablets are just much cleaner (and lighter) for travel and every day use when you don't need that full capabilities. Really I just need an extra $3k to upgrade all my stuff at once and I'd be happy.
          I'd suggest going for a high res monitor if you're going to use the Air as a desktop at times. It's just that nice. I got a 27" IPS LED 2560 x 1440 6-8 months ago and I'm loving it. I'm just waiting for the day a 4K monitor hits less than $1000.

Comment

Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
            The brand loyalty and rivalry, at least between Microsoft and Sony, is something I can't understand at all though. The PS3 and Xbox 360 were like twins. They had almost all the same games, very similar graphics, online play, etc. The only differences are a handful of exclusives, yet people argue about it with religious fervor. That's why I had a 360 for nearly the entire generation, and then got a PS3 for really cheap recently, because by this time a fair amount of exclusives have been released. It wasn't because I thought the 360 was particularly better, it just happened to work out that I got them in that order.
            I really hate the console wars, too. I can hardly stand to read online gaming news anymore because it always has the most obnoxious comment sections. I get really tired of the PC crowd complaining about how consoles have "dumbed down" every game ever released, too. Ugh. They're games bro, they're supposed to be about having fun, and everyone wants to turn everything into a big pissing contest.
            Ben

Comment

I have a PS3 because it's also a blu-ray player. There's my reasoning behind it.

Comment

ebay'ing.

also got a brown blazer.

Comment

Got these at DSW today:

Comment

Recently ordered some ESF OCBDs from Brooks Bros and Bonobos' washed chino jacket in burgundy.
                    Ben

Comment

Ben, I still have a Brooks Brothers OCBD from ~2005 or so that I wear regularly. The fabric's not as good on the new BB shirts, but they're still my favorite OCBD.

Comment

Was at a few stores today and got my first ever wool blend socks, and holy crap. I understand now.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          Recently ordered some ESF OCBDs from Brooks Bros and Bonobos' washed chino jacket in burgundy.
                          Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                          Ben, I still have a Brooks Brothers OCBD from ~2005 or so that I wear regularly. The fabric's not as good on the new BB shirts, but they're still my favorite OCBD.
                          Been eyeing these for awhile as a wardrobe staple. Is 3 for 225 as good as it gets or can I hold out for a better deal? For my wallets sake I hope you say the latter.

Comment

Well, it's 3 for 225 + an additional 15% off (or 25% off if you have a BB card). Brings it to about $64/shirt + shipping, which is still pricey, but I feel like it's a fair price.

There are probably a couple sales throughout the year where you could do a bit better, but I didn't really want to wait.
                            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
                              Was at a few stores today and got my first ever wool blend socks, and holy crap. I understand now.
                              Recently got some wool blend socks from Costco (4 pairs for $12) and I wear them as much as I can. So comfy..

Comment

Picked up the Stafford Super 100s suit separates in a JCP yesterday during a door buster sale. With a coupon and the doorbuster, I ended up paying 115 for the jacket and the pants in navy. I haven't heard much about the suit, but I was impressed with the merino wool Stafford sport coat I picked up from JCP about a month back so I thought I would try my luck with the "Super 100s" Stafford. They didn't have the navy color in store (or the slim fit) so I had them order it for me. For what I paid I figured it was worth a shot to check it out in person considering it was free shipping and free returns. Has anyone seen this suit? tried it on? bought it? I think it is supposed to arrive around the end of this week, but who knows with JCP shipping and back orders.

http://www.jcpenney.com/men/suits-sp...140iu/cat.jump

Also just grabbed 3 of the JCP OCBD shirts. I showed the associate this: http://www.jcpenney.com/button-front...318141484C.tif and she priced matched the shirts, that were tagged at $20 each. The friends and family sale discount then took them down to $33 for all three.

Comment

Working...
                                X