Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I received my order for the JCf 50% off sale and as I expected lots to return. The Navy tweed (sold out? Can't find it on the site to link! But it's the one at the top of this page:
    navy tweed) looks and fits nice but the material is really cheap. It's thin, already showing signs of shedding and pilling, and feels horrible. I'd pay maybe $40 for this jacket. Maybe. So it's going back, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Also the Fair Isle shawl cardigan is enormous! At least one size larger than marked! I was tempted to post the measurements but can't be bothered. It has at least 4 extra inches of material in the arms near biceps, and probably 8 inches or more extra material around the waist. It's just huge overall. On the plus side, the material is nice enough. Oh yeah, those leather-looking buttons are hard plastic. Disappointed.

I have been close to swearing off JCF for good, as I've been very disappointed with the quality of their fabrics and construction for some time, but the JCF Slim Fit Merino is spot on...
    Last edited by Jamie; October 16, 2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I only kept 2 items from the JCF sale - a grey slim fit merino sweater and a navy slim fit tartan shirt.

Picked these up off Ebay for $150. They are Peal&Co made by Alfred Sargent. The soles have very little wear on them and there's no scuff marks on the shoes, just some minor creasing. Change the red laces out for some normal brown ones. I think it's a good substitute for AE Strands (since they weren't a very good fit for me despite me trying to convince myself otherwise) and higher quality to boot. I don't know how to describe the color though since it's a dark tan/lighter brown. Not sure what color wax/polish I should use on them.

Comment

That looks like a great score on a really nice looking pair of shoes! It's tough to tell from the pictures, as they appear almost a bit reddish/merlot-like. Meltonian has a number of shades of brown polish, and frankly I don't believe that you need to polish shoes with an EXACT matching shoe polish - its not an exact science, and using different shades of polish/creme will create some nice highs and lows over time. That said, some Meltonian options might be Brick (a bit more reddish), Cognac, Goldenrod, London Tan, Medium Brown, or Sandalwood. If you have a store near you that carries Meltonian you can take your shoes in and try to compare.

Comment

Saphir Mahagoni?

Comment

Good call Fred. That looks pretty close. Any idea what's the cheapest place with shipping to pick it up from? I was thinking of trying RiderBootCo since they carry Saphir products.

Comment

Does Ron sell it? I thought he was just the US distributor, I wasn't sure if he sold it. Lots of places have it though. Kent Wang, Kirby Allison, Wingtip, Leffot, Epaulet, etc.
              http://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care.html?cat=18
              http://www.kentwang.com/shoes?cat=69
              http://wingtip.com/brand/saphir
              http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/shoes/saphir.html
              http://epauletnewyork.com/collection...r-medaille-dor
              Looks like Wingtip and Epaulet have free shipping at $50. Depends on if you need other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                I only kept 2 items from the JCF sale - a grey slim fit merino sweater and a navy slim fit tartan shirt.

Picked these up off Ebay for $150. They are Peal&Co made by Alfred Sargent. The soles have very little wear on them and there's no scuff marks on the shoes, just some minor creasing. Change the red laces out for some normal brown ones. I think it's a good substitute for AE Strands (since they weren't a very good fit for me despite me trying to convince myself otherwise) and higher quality to boot. I don't know how to describe the color though since it's a dark tan/lighter brown. Not sure what color wax/polish I should use on them.
                Those look to be the same 'antique cherry' color as the AS I got recently. I was also wondering what kind of polish to use for these.

Comment

I bought my Saphir stuff from maxtonmen.com. Free shipping on orders $25+.

Comment

I pulled the trigger on a Stafford Navy Camel Hair Blazer. Had it shipped to the store near me. It should come in soon. I will report back once received.
                    My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                      That looks like a great score on a really nice looking pair of shoes! It's tough to tell from the pictures, as they appear almost a bit reddish/merlot-like. Meltonian has a number of shades of brown polish, and frankly I don't believe that you need to polish shoes with an EXACT matching shoe polish - its not an exact science, and using different shades of polish/creme will create some nice highs and lows over time.
                      Thanks. I don't need the exact shade but at the moment I have black, brown, and walnut. The brown is way too dark and the walnut is way too light so I don't think either of them will work. I think Fred's right - I need something with a reddish tint to it.

Originally posted by fauxshow View Post
                      Those look to be the same 'antique cherry' color as the AS I got recently. I was also wondering what kind of polish to use for these.

Nice shoes! And yeah, they look close in color although yours look a bit more reddish.

Comment

Originally posted by fauxshow View Post
                        Love those AS Moores!

Comment

I know summer is pretty much over, but I decided to get some boat shoes anyways. They're the Westbrooks from AE.

Comment

Yesterday my BR Gray Donegal Topcoat was delivered and I'm pretty pleased with the purchase. 40% sale and rewards discounts brought it down to a nice affordable price.

The fit is fantastic, nice and trim. Shoulders, chest, and waist are almost identical to the cut of the BR Tailored Fit blazers. Don't know if I could pull off a suit underneath, but that's fine since suits aren't in my wardrobe rotation, and I doubt I'd be pulling double wool duties with a tweed sport coat underneath.

Excellent material, wool shade is a bit darker in person than the website stock photos but that's fine by me. Not the thickest coat, I won't be braving any harsh weather with it, but it'll do just fine for my morning commutes to the office.

Comment

The closest I can find is this London Tan by Meltonian. Never used their products before but they should be ok.

Comment

I have a few different colors of their shoe cream and it's good quality. I know folks here and on SF are gaga for Saphir, but Meltonian is still good.

Comment

Working...
                                X