This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
    I've been waiting for a sale to get the Brooks Brothers Red Wing Iron Ranger Boot. It is frustrating.

Here's a PSA for all readers though - supposedly Revolve Clothing offers a 30% discount for first-time purchasers on their website. Its not an advertised code, but works on everything, including shoes/boots (and yes, sorry DerekH, that includes 1000 Mile and Red Wing). I haven't tried it, but if you check over on styleforum, there's lots of discussion about it (especially related to buying 1000 Mile and Red Wing boots). In order to get the discount you have to contact Customer Service after making the purchase, and let them know you want to 30% off first-time discount.
    I did see a lot of chatter about that from posts back in the 2012-era, so I did sign up for Revolve. I didn't get a 30% email or anything, though, so I figured that promotion was discontinued. Has anyone successfully done this recently?

Comment

It is not a automatic discount and you dont get a email. You just have to ask for it. However like I mentioned in my earlier post, it excludes some brands. Wolverine is excluded.
      Originally posted by DerekH View Post
      I did see a lot of chatter about that from posts back in the 2012-era, so I did sign up for Revolve. I didn't get a 30% email or anything, though, so I figured that promotion was discontinued. Has anyone successfully done this recently?

Comment

Originally posted by mowgli222 View Post
        The 30% discount does exclude some brands and Wolverine is one of those that you cannot get a discount.
        I stand corrected, thanks for the info!

Comment

After hemming and hawing over Barbour and Filson's waxed coats, I had to remind myself that heavy waxed cotton is really kind of a useless material for winter wear here where I live. Waxed cotton is good for relatively mild, damp climates. The winter weather here, as I mentioned in another thread, is far from mild and damp - it is below freezing and frequently below zero with dry snow. So I started looking more closely at Filson's wool coats and stumbled across this on eBay. Ended up winning it as the only bidder. US-made and based on the classic cruiser jacket, but from Filson's more contemporary "Black Label" line, marketed almost exclusively in Europe.

I really like the color-blocking, the hood, and the red plaid lining... I just hope it's not too youthful / urban / fashion-forward in person. Minus the hood, it is actually very similar in design to a BR wool-blend coat that has held me in good stead for the past two winters.

Before finding this, I had my eye on a similar jacket from the Filson website. The color-blocking is more subtle and the overall design is more rustic and less urban. But it costs more than twice what I paid on eBay, lacks the detachable hood, and has only button closures instead of a zipper + buttons....

Ben

Comment

^ if you don't mind me asking, what price did you grab the Filson for? I've been looking at upgrading my BR winter coat for something nicer, but just can't stomach $400 for a coat right now. I really want a Filson though.

Today I snagged a pair of the Sketchers x Mark Nason blue suede wing tips (Cole Haan Lunargrand knockoffs) from Off Broadway, of all places. They were the last pair, on clearance, and in my size. Sweet baby Jesus they are lightweight...

Comment

$200, seller claims it's NWOT and worn once to try on. Still pricey but not bad.

The Black Label stuff is discontinued and hard to find, though, and it may be a while before Seattle fit stuff starts showing up secondhand, since it is so new.
              Ben

Comment

Circling back here just to say that these Wolverine 1000 Miles are <beep>ing worth every penny. I love them. Took like two wears to get truly broken in (although they were fine out of the box to wear) and I'm so glad I ponied up for them over the Chippewas or some of the other less marquee brands I was eyeballing. Wore them for about 14 hours yesterday and was comfortable the whole time.

Now just need to find my fall coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                  I've been waiting for a sale to get the Brooks Brothers Red Wing Iron Ranger Boot. It is frustrating.
                  You best bet is to get a corporate card (really easy online, just do some Google searches), and then wait for the semi-annual corporate event, which usually gives you 30% off on everything but things like cordovan shoes. There's probably an upcoming one this month or next month.

You could always try to wait for the sale on Christmas, but that might be a crapshoot both from the standpoint of those particular boots being included and also your size still being available. BB doesn't always carry large stock, especially with footwear.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekH View Post
                    Circling back here just to say that these Wolverine 1000 Miles are <beep>ing worth every penny. I love them. Took like two wears to get truly broken in (although they were fine out of the box to wear) and I'm so glad I ponied up for them over the Chippewas or some of the other less marquee brands I was eyeballing. Wore them for about 14 hours yesterday and was comfortable the whole time.

Now just need to find my fall coat.
                    As new owner of the Wolverine 1000 miles, I agree. They were sweet out of the box. Wore them for two days straight (the horror) and my feet felt great at the end of it. I've hit them with some OLP, and now I just can't wait for fall/winter weather to start rolling in to get them nice and lived in.

Comment

Not clothing related, but I got me a new hatch :-)

Comment

^Nice!

I always hear good things about the GTI. Enjoy!

Comment

Awesome, sierra. I've always liked the look of those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by sierra.alpha View Post
                            Not clothing related, but I got me a new hatch :-)
                            YES. Welcome to the club!

Comment

German cars <3

Comment

2 Kamakura shirts arrived today. I think I have a new favorite sub-$100 shirt brand. They even pattern matched the sleeves which is basically unheard of at this price.

Comment

Working...
                                X