Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Purchases

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
    To each their own. Personally, I like the look of an unlined suede chukka, be the Amoks or Aldens. I don't think it's fair to compare them to the Loakes, as the they're not unlined.
    Agree wholeheartedly. I love my Amoks (dark brown), and prefer the unlined look and feel compared to a dressier, lined suede chukka. They're also dressier and way better looking than either Clarks or JCrew MacAlister chukkas, I think. But I'm not really a fan of most structured suede chukkas for the most part.

    Hey Vicious, what size are your tan Amoks?

    Comment


      Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
      Vicious, the Amoks are ugly. Your other chukkas are so nice that they'd make the Amoks look poor in comparison.
      I wanted them for warmer days since they breath much better due to being unlined. The shape is a bit meh. The Alden unlined chukkas look much better but also cost almost $500.

      Originally posted by Jamie View Post
      Hey Vicious, what size are your tan Amoks?
      9D

      Comment


        Recently bought a pair of Clarks DBs in the go-to taupe suede finish. Sized down properly, but the toe box feels a bit narrow for my left foot. I can feel the outer two small toes rubbing against the suede.

        How much will these stretch out? Is there a secret trick to stretch the toe box a bit? It's just ever-so-slightly small, to the point where it constantly rubs.

        Last edited by mcadamsandwich; September 20, 2013, 12:26 PM.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
          9D
          Too bad, would've been tempted to take 'em off your hands in 10D.

          Comment


            Wolverine 1000 Mile Courtland boots came in today. These babies are beautiful...if only it wasn't in the mid-eighties in Ohio today. Can't wait for some cool weather to put some mileage on these.

            Comment


              Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
              Recently bought a pair of Clarks DBs in the go-to taupe suede finish. Sized down properly, but the toe box feels a bit narrow for my left foot. I can feel the outer two small toes rubbing against the suede.

              How much will these stretch out? Is there a secret trick to stretch the toe box a bit? It's just ever-so-slightly small, to the point where it constantly rubs.
              Not sure how much you sized down. I think i had to go down to a 8.5D from my normal 9D. In my experience if it's rubbing against your toe now, it's not going to get any better. As you walk more in a day and especially as your foot swells as the day goes on, it will get worse. I'd return them now or try swapping them out for a different size. I've had a lot of issues with AE's rubbing against the outside of my toes but never with the Clarks DB. They're a bit wider in the toe box so maybe you sized down too much.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                Not sure how much you sized down. I think i had to go down to a 8.5D from my normal 9D. In my experience if it's rubbing against your toe now, it's not going to get any better. As you walk more in a day and especially as your foot swells as the day goes on, it will get worse. I'd return them now or try swapping them out for a different size. I've had a lot of issues with AE's rubbing against the outside of my toes but never with the Clarks DB. They're a bit wider in the toe box so maybe you sized down too much.
                I typically wear a 10.5/11D in most shoes, but the 10.5D Clarks felt too big. Went with the 10D, and overall the shoe fits fine. It's just the left foot that rubs.

                I bet I can stretch the leather slightly if I go with a bigger sock, or insert a shoe tree with a few layers of plastic on top. That's how you stretch leather gun holsters or baseball gloves.

                Comment


                  Factory seconds Saunders and Malverns arrived today!




                  I'm quite pleased with the Malverns overall, although I do find them a little narrow on one foot. Since it's leather, they'll stretch somewhat as they break in, right? A little more iffy on the Saunders. As much as I like the look and feel of them (they feel noticeably softer and nicer than the Malvern), they seem to be a little big on me. There is some gaping in the back of the foot when I wear them, and some heel slippage. I'm linking to my album for them, and would appreciate any of you taking a look and giving a critique of the defects you see!

                  Comment


                    Trueflame - I had the same issue with the Saunders (and the slaton, and the sanderson - all the RL shoes). They use their own last, not an AE one, and it just doesn't work for me.

                    Comment


                      Trueflame, can't comment on fit but the "defects" you pointed out we're minimal and will be unnoticeable once they've been worn a few times, so don't let those stop you from keeping them! Tough to tell from the pic exactly what gaping is going on, but most chukkas will have extra room at the ankle opening.

                      Comment


                        BigBayesian, Jamie, thanks for the advice! I'm also of the opinion that most of the defects are superficial, and will be unnoticeable while worn, or simply after being worn several times. The gaping on the back of the Saunders is simply that gab between my sock and the shoe, seen in the last picture. It's hard to really tell given the angle and poor quality, but it's nearly an inch big, and although there are similar gaps with the Malverns, they are nowhere near as big. I think that's just a sizing issue though. I am definitely going to return these Saunders and see if I can get one in a 9d instead.

                        Incidentally, does anyone know how much the width of a shoe decreases with a drop in size? Because they fit me well in terms of width, it's just length that is a problem.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
                          BigBayesian, Jamie, thanks for the advice! I'm also of the opinion that most of the defects are superficial, and will be unnoticeable while worn, or simply after being worn several times. The gaping on the back of the Saunders is simply that gab between my sock and the shoe, seen in the last picture. It's hard to really tell given the angle and poor quality, but it's nearly an inch big, and although there are similar gaps with the Malverns, they are nowhere near as big. I think that's just a sizing issue though. I am definitely going to return these Saunders and see if I can get one in a 9d instead.

                          Incidentally, does anyone know how much the width of a shoe decreases with a drop in size? Because they fit me well in terms of width, it's just length that is a problem.
                          Go up in width by a size.

                          I wish I'd returned my Sandersons. They give me the same problem you're experiencing w/ the Saunders (which look a whole lot better than I thought they would)

                          Comment


                            Not exactly clothing but totally my fav purchase to date!

                            Comment


                              Excellent choice.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                                Go up in width by a size.

                                I wish I'd returned my Sandersons. They give me the same problem you're experiencing w/ the Saunders (which look a whole lot better than I thought they would)
                                I'm almost 100% certain that they (RLs by AE) only come in d width.

                                I couldn't make them fit - going down a half size was too tight. But hopefully you'll have more luck.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X