This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
    Nice thick material, right? Almost denim-like. *Almost*. A year or so back I thought they were way too slim for me. I have three pair now. LOL - tastes can change, but so can waistlines.
    What's slimmer, the alphas or the J. Crew 484's? The 484's are the perfect fit for me, but it's nice to have other options.

Comment

Was able to get a used pair of Clark's Desert Boots in sand suede, and Clark's Bushacre in beeswax (no laces) though for $55 total off Craigslist. Also snagged a pair of J. Crew x Sperrys off eBay for $50. All shoes were in about 8-8.5/10 condition.

I heard somewhere that Clark's will send out free replacement laces if you needed, so I gave them a call and they were nice enough to send me two brand new pairs of laces. They are some nice folks!

Comment

New purchase.

By my mom. Her 60th birthday present to herself, arrived just this afternoon. Not mine, but pretty exciting nonetheless.
        Ben

Comment

Pretty sweet car. It brings up the question - is it ok to borrow your mom's car for a date if that's what she drives?

Comment

Tan, good deal on the Clark's! BTW, I swapped out my DB laces very early on - to some leather ones. Bought a pair of long(ish) ones and cut them in half. Buh-bam!

BenR's mom, Sweeeeet ride, Mrs. ... Uhm... Blackdog!...? BTW, did she buy that particular MY just so your dad wouldn't be able to drive it? LOL - kidding; sorta. IIRC, your dad is a tall gent, right? My dad is 6'3 or so, and *he* couldn't fit his legs into a '55, IIRC the correct MY - close to your mom's there, right? He ended up going '64.5 Mustang.

Comment

BTW, I swapped out my DB laces very early on - to some leather ones. Bought a pair of long(ish) ones and cut them in half. Buh-bam!
              Where did you find longish leather laces?? I've been looking for some 48" for my trainers!

Comment

Nice thick material, right? Almost denim-like. *Almost*. A year or so back I thought they were way too slim for me. I have three pair now. LOL - tastes can change, but so can waistlines.
                I thought it was more of a thicker chino type material than denim like. The closest comparison i can make sbout the material is that they are similar to the Bonobos travel jeans.

I ended up getting the British khaki color and Sherwood which is an olive army green color. They fit similar to the Bonobos chinos but feel like the material should last much longer. These might be my new go to. Ill definitely be picking up some more colors as soon as dockers/Levi's runs another sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                  Where did you find longish leather laces?? I've been looking for some 48" for my trainers!
                  Target, IIRC. Kiwi in a dark brown (think boat shoe laces). Probably these:, but in the dark brown color option:

http://www.kiwicare.com/kiwimcmssite...r-rawhide.html

Clark's DBs are only two-eyelets, so the laces need not be very long, really. I'm guessing (without them in front of me) that I went with the 72" and cut them in half.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                    I ended up getting the British khaki color and Sherwood which is an olive army green color.
                    I have a dark (olive/forest) green (might just be that same "Sherwood" - dunno), a kinda-odd medium blue (a little tough matching well with everything that I normally would wear with darker blue pants), and WHIIIIIIIIIIIIITE! The white pair saw several good wearings, and still look brand new. Very rugged, hardy, etc. The blue ones, I took the tags off, and never actually wore - yet. LOL - And the dark green I was kinda saving for Fall.

Check at Marshalls/TJMAxx if you have one nearby, man. *When* they have them, they are usually very affordable. The color choices there can be a little... well... sucky. Still, when you find one you like, nice price!

Comment

was hoping for the flannel suit from LL Bean that Joe reviewed last year, and on a whim decided to call them! turns out they had my size in stock, but not on the website, so I picked up the heather grey and navy for 350 shipped! (both suits)

Comment

Today in unnecessary spending:
                        SuitSupply SoHo DB Navy Cotton/Linen jacket - $99
                        Jack Spade Brown Grenadine Tie - $48

I've never worn a DB before and I rarely have reasons to wear a blazer as is, but I've wanted to try one, and if it fits and looks good I may well keep it because I don't think I'll find another one at such a price/it'd be an easy flip on Ebay. Hope the tie ships, it's part of their surplus sale.

And tomorrow I'm picking up a BB 1818 Fitzgerald fit 3/4 lined navy wool blazer with nickel? buttons for $60 (fit is perfect throughout). The consignment store owner is fixing up the lining on it a bit for me since it's loose and she didn't want to give me a discount, hah! Excited for this one, it's in great condition other than the lining. Not sure if I'll keep the branded nickel buttons... maybe I'll swap em for horn or corozo nut.
                        Last edited by LosRockets; September 10, 2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I ordered a leather briefcase from the surplus sale as well, and I just got a shipping notification. Hope your tie ships too!

Comment

Originally posted by fauxshow View Post
                            I ordered a leather briefcase from the surplus sale as well, and I just got a shipping notification. Hope your tie ships too!
                            It just did!! I'm excited.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                              Not sure if I'll keep the branded nickel buttons... maybe I'll swap em for horn or corozo nut.
                              I'd keep the BB buttons. You can always "age" them with some chemical solution so they appear darker. More bronzey.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
                                I'd keep the BB buttons. You can always "age" them with some chemical solution so they appear darker. More bronzey.
                                I'll post a pic tomorrow but I actually prefer the nickel to a bronze color (just seems so very old) because it's got a bit of a tarnished look to it already.

Comment

Working...
                                X