Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Purchases

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    JanSport backpack arrived. Love the color, love the simplicity, love the basic look (retro 70s). The material is not as sturdy as I remember my very similar old bag from my college days. But I think that's the way it goes with a lot of this stuff--same basic look and construction but poorer quality materials. Nevertheless, I'm happy with it.

    Comment




      snuff suede sandersons for $129, a no-brainer

      in foreground, bitter chocolate suede mcgraws (from a past 2 for $250 deal)

      Comment


        Fey - those are great looking shoes (the snuff suede). I came close to grabbing a pair...now I wish I had...must...resist...

        I received Dalton boots in Bourbon and Singleton loafer in Tan Calf from the AE Labor Day shoe sale today. I also received some Amok chukkas in Chocolate Suede yesterday from 6pm. I'm really loving the Dalton and Amok, but not loving the Singleton, so its probably going back.

        Here are some pics of the Dalton in Bourbon (apologies for the poor lighting, but its nightime, so no natural lighting!):







        At first I thought I may have bought a size too big, as I had a bit of heel slippage, but then I realized I had the laces way loose. Tightened 'em up, and that did the trick. I'm very pleased with the color - not as ambitious as the Walnut (which I still lust after!), but more character than the dark brown, in my opinion.

        I looked them over for defects and the only problem I found was this on the inside panel of the right boot - just some wrinkling of the leather, and some discoloration (from a botched burnishing job maybe?), and a minor misplaced stitch on the sole of the left boot - definitely not a deal breaker:

        Comment


          (Apologies for those huge images above...that was unexpected)

          Here are the Amoks, which I really like. Great looking shoe and quite comfortable out of the box:



          The Singleton loafer in Tan Calf:





          My problem with the Singleton is that while it looks nice on, its just a bit too clunky for my taste. Its a loafer, and lots of loafers are chunky/clunky, plus its a great value at $129, but I think I'd prefer a bit more of a European shape - higher vamp, slightly more aggressive toe that slopes a bit more towards the front of the shoe (don't know if that makes sense). I don't think I'd wear it very much. As for any evidence of it being a "factory second" - there's just a bit of wrinkling along the stitching on one heel, hardly noticeable at all.

          Comment


            Weird. Those bourbon dalton's kind of just look like walnut dalton's with a bit of black polish. Doesn't look like my bourbon park ave. There's still a distinct orange tint in there, whereas my bourbon park ave have a more yellowish tint.

            Comment


              that last dalton picture looks like a totally different pair of daltons, it's so much more orange! the singleton looks nice. looks pretty narrow, are they D sized?



              on my way home last night i stopped by the barneys warehouse sale in ny, the ex-greatest sales event in the world. still managed to find decent deals

              top to bottom, J brand chinos was $196 for $17, vince cords was $195 for $39, a gant rugger oxford button down was $135 for $14

              Comment


                Originally posted by fey View Post
                that last dalton picture looks like a totally different pair of daltons, it's so much more orange! the singleton looks nice. looks pretty narrow, are they D sized?
                I think the orange tones may partially be due to the lighting, although that panel is a slightly lighter shade of brown than the rest of the shoe. All the shoes are shown in a 10D, the Singletons didn't feel particularly narrow, in fact they actually fit quite well. It may appear more narrow due to the angle/orientation of the photograph...

                Nice job at Barney's.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                  I think the orange tones may partially be due to the lighting, although that panel is a slightly lighter shade of brown than the rest of the shoe. All the shoes are shown in a 10D, the Singletons didn't feel particularly narrow, in fact they actually fit quite well. It may appear more narrow due to the angle/orientation of the photograph...

                  Nice job at Barney's.
                  I believe the color bourbon at Allen Edmonds is indeed just walnut calf with black burnishing over them as per the AE website. I bought a pair of AE Mcallisters and everytime they get a little light I just use some black polish and voila!

                  Comment


                    all the bourbon shoes i've seen from them were a lot more uniform than that, maybe that's why they are seconds though

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by fey View Post
                      all the bourbon shoes i've seen from them were a lot more uniform than that, maybe that's why they are seconds though
                      Absolutely, that's why I shared that particular photo - to show what I thought was the "defect" causing them to be seconds. The color is just a little lighter than the rest of either boot, and there is the darker blotchy-ness around the edges. Its on the inside (instep) panel, so it doesn't bother me, and I suspect that with some wear and a bit of shoe cream, it will be impossible for anyone to notice. As is, you can really only see it in that picture because I'm holding it directly in front of a light bulb anyway. All in all I'd say my Daltons look pretty close to the image you shared above (that has finally made it onto the AE website!).

                      Comment


                        Nice Shoes..

                        Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                        Fey - those are great looking shoes (the snuff suede). I came close to grabbing a pair...now I wish I had...must...resist...

                        I received Dalton boots in Bourbon and Singleton loafer in Tan Calf from the AE Labor Day shoe sale today. I also received some Amok chukkas in Chocolate Suede yesterday from 6pm. I'm really loving the Dalton and Amok, but not loving the Singleton, so its probably going back.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                          Absolutely, that's why I shared that particular photo - to show what I thought was the "defect" causing them to be seconds. The color is just a little lighter than the rest of either boot, and there is the darker blotchy-ness around the edges. Its on the inside (instep) panel, so it doesn't bother me, and I suspect that with some wear and a bit of shoe cream, it will be impossible for anyone to notice. As is, you can really only see it in that picture because I'm holding it directly in front of a light bulb anyway. All in all I'd say my Daltons look pretty close to the image you shared above (that has finally made it onto the AE website!).
                          what size is your dalton in bourbon? Too bad they dont have the dalton in bourbon in size 7.5.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by jackbauer24 View Post
                            what size is your dalton in bourbon? Too bad they dont have the dalton in bourbon in size 7.5.
                            I have them in 10D. I think I could've ordered a 10B or maybe a 9.5D since I have some heel slippage. But they feel good in the toe box, so I think I'll try some insoles and see if that helps. A fitting would've probably resolved the issue, or not since its my "smaller" foot (not even half size smaller) that feels roomy.

                            Comment


                              Stopped at the Dakota Watch Company kiosk in the outlet mall this weekend and reinvigorated two of my watches for less than $20. Sure, it's just new/different bands/straps, but still... sometimes it makes ya feel like ya have a new watch altogether. Yay!



                              Swapped out the stock (almost too shiny) SS bracelet from the Invicta and the stock (thin dark-brown) leather strap from the Skagen. Just gives me a little more variety and scenario-appropriateness in my current rotation.
                              Last edited by yoyorobbo; August 26, 2013, 03:06 PM.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                                Stopped at the Dakota Watch Company kiosk in the outlet mall this weekend and reinvigorated two of my watches for less than $20. Sure, it's just new/different bands/straps, but still... sometimes it makes ya feel like ya have a new watch altogether. Yay!



                                Swapped out the stock (almost too shiny) SS bracelet from the Invicta and the stock (thin dark-brown) leather strap from the Skagen. Just gives me a little more variety and scenario-appropriateness in my current rotation.
                                I think they both look great, straps seem very fitting, and they give new dimension to watches (and the price is great as well).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X