Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I couldn't take it anymore and ordered a Seiko 5 watch, in beige. From World of Watches, so it only cost me $54, rather than the amazon price. My first watch purchase, and I still intend to at least get a Weekender as well, or maybe something different depending on what catches my eye. I hope I didn't make a mistake with the beige color though. I was initially more attracted to the blue version, but after finding some very good looking pictures of it in beige, I decided to go with that.

Comment

I found the JCF chambrays fit better than the regular J.Crew ones and exchanged mine for them

Comment

Originally posted by Peteypistol View Post
        I found the JCF chambrays fit better than the regular J.Crew ones and exchanged mine for them
        Really! Hmm. I find the fit to be about the same. What I find lacking in the JCF is detail. The regular JC ones have the hidden collar buttons, a feature I really like, and better buttons and softer cotton.

I'm wearing the JCF pink chambray today to work and really like it. I find the collar is a little differently cut from the regular JC version, and that feels a little awkward, but that's probably just my overly picky nature. For a $40 chambray shirt, it is very decent, and I'll probably get a lot of wear out of it.

Comment

The recent $55 wool Ludlow jacket was a deal too good to be true. Despite ordering a 40R, a 40L arrived at my door. Quite irritated with J Crew.

Comment

Red Wing Beckman boots arrived today, and I've been walking around the house in them, trying to get used to the feel and to break them in, while I decide if I actually want to keep them. I keep alternating between thinking they're okay and that they're uncomfortable, so I guess my not hating them is a good sign?

They're also terribly hard to get into, I need to unlace them entirely in order to do it, and even then I have to tug very hard on the back in order to get my foot to finally slip in. And wearing one pair of socks they felt wobbly, with some heel slippage with each step. I don't have any boot socks or thicker socks in general, so I put on two pairs and that seemed to fix the problem, but overall is this going to be a problem? I know it's often recommended to size down with leather shoes since they stretch to accommodate the feet, but I don't think it would even be possible for me to put on a smaller pair.

Comment

Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
              Red Wing Beckman boots arrived today, and I've been walking around the house in them, trying to get used to the feel and to break them in, while I decide if I actually want to keep them. I keep alternating between thinking they're okay and that they're uncomfortable, so I guess my not hating them is a good sign?

They're also terribly hard to get into, I need to unlace them entirely in order to do it, and even then I have to tug very hard on the back in order to get my foot to finally slip in. And wearing one pair of socks they felt wobbly, with some heel slippage with each step. I don't have any boot socks or thicker socks in general, so I put on two pairs and that seemed to fix the problem, but overall is this going to be a problem? I know it's often recommended to size down with leather shoes since they stretch to accommodate the feet, but I don't think it would even be possible for me to put on a smaller pair.
              It's recommended to size down with the Beckman if you just want to wear regular socks. I own mine in my usual size, but will at least wear crew socks any time I have them on. If I was trying to wear thinner socks, I would've gone a half size smaller.

I'm not sure if this helps, but what you are experiencing doesn't sound abnormal. They are thick(er) leather and take a little longer to break in as a result. Mine were tough to get on, never had to completely unlace them, that sounds extreme. I had to unlace the top two holes, and loosen all the way down. Now I don't have to unlace at all (still loosen all the way down) and they slide on just fine. It will always be a bit tougher since the tongue is attached all the way up, but the trade-off is they won't get as much water in. If you want to soften them up sooner, you can try rubbing some leather oil into them. It might help.

It took about a month of winter use and one re-oiling to loosen mine to where they were truly comfortable, but I can spend all day in them on my feet now, 10+ miles of walking, 14+ hours of wearing, without any discomfort. The only boots I've worn that are more comfortable are my Indies.

Comment

Just pulled the trigger on this bad boy:

http://www.ebbets.com/product/New-Yo...llcap/Ballcaps

25% off right now with code "25TH", so worked out to $39ish with (rather expensive $9) shipping.

I don't wear hats that often, but I liked the idea of something 100% wool that'll be nice for the winter up here in NYC. I'm not a huge fan of wearing sports attire unless attending a game (or maybe a game watch--I'll wear my Longhorns gear for football game watches up here). I also hate the Yankees (and who actually likes the Mets--I'm a Braves fan), so this is a nice way to show some love to my city without selling out.

Comment

Cool. I'm still waiting for my 8-panel KC blues cap. I may have to pull the trigger on that one, too.

As one who doesn't have a lot of hair left these days, I'm becoming a fan of headgear of all kinds. Hell, I used to run around all summer with a goofy Milwaukee Braves cap when I was a kid. Maybe I'll start feeling like a kid again.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                    Just pulled the trigger on this bad boy:

http://www.ebbets.com/product/New-Yo...llcap/Ballcaps

(and who actually likes the Mets--I'm a Braves fan),
                    About the same amount of people who actually like a good Braves team.
                    2011 attendance
                    Braves: 2.37 million (89-73)
                    Mets: 2.35 million (77-85)

Nice hat tho, Roy

Comment

Originally posted by Johdus View Post
                      About the same amount of people who actually like a good Braves team.
                      2011 attendance
                      Braves: 2.37 million (89-73)
                      Mets: 2.35 million (77-85)

Nice hat tho, Roy
                      For those who aren't baseball fans, *FULLY OFF TOPIC*, but....

I was more joking/alluding to the fact that the Yankees are the team to like up here, not the Mets. Touche for finding 2011 stats that help--Braves have always had low attendance records, despite being good--but if we look at more recent stats...

Braves - 2,420,171 total / 29,878 avg (15th ranked in MLB)
                      Mets - 2,242,803 total / 28,035 avg (17th ranked in MLB)

2013 YTD
                      Braves - 1,637,378 total / 32,747 avg (13th ranked in MLB)
                      Mets - 1,380,161 total / 27,061 avg (19th ranked in MLB)

Also, one could argue regarding relative population densities and ease of attending a Mets game via public transport (LIRR and subway both go) vs. Braves game (MARTA doesn't go to Turner Field). Additionally, Braves tend to have a more dispersed fanbase (don't have anything to back this up, other than personal experience, but I haven't met any Mets fans that weren't from NY whereas I have met tons of Braves fan from all over thanks to TedTurner/TBS as a kid)

Comment

You're right. This is off topic. But when the Mets are good, they more than hold their own.
                        FYI:
                        "The Mets held the New York baseball attendance record for 29 years. They broke the Yankees' 1948 record by drawing nearly 2.7 million in 1970. The Mets broke their own record five times before the Yankees took it back in 1999."
                        Last edited by Johdus; July 30, 2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

You're right. This is off topic. But when the Mets are good, they more than hold their own.
                          FYI:
                          "The Mets held the New York baseball attendance record for 29 years. They broke the Yankees' 1948 record by drawing nearly 2.7 million in 1970. The Mets broke their own record five times before the Yankees took it back in 1999."
                          That's interesting -- didn't realize they were more popular so long into the 90s, but they did have some pretty entertaining players back then. I feel bad for the Mets fanbase generally as of late, but they have some exciting players (pitchers in particular) that could help turn things around for them in the near future. Hopefully not a (2nd to)worst to first turnaround, given that i'm an NL rival fan, but it would be better baseball to have them more competitive.

Comment

Back on topic.
                            I've never had my head measured for a hat. How did you do it for your Ebbets?

Comment

Back on topic.
                              I've never had my head measured for a hat. How did you do it for your Ebbets?
                              You just use a measuring tape or a string (then measure the string--which I find easier) to measure the circumference of your head where you wear your hat, then use the size guide on their website to pick the right hat size.

Just a PSA/note from my experience -- it seems that not all companies use the same inches-to-hat-size ratio, so it won't necessarily be the same as another fitted hat you own. Unfortunately this means you can't just go to the mall and find what size New Era hat fits you and then order that from Ebbets. I hope I got it right doing a self measurement, but it may be 1 size up than what I ordered... TBD.
                              Last edited by hornsup84; July 30, 2013, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I have the same concern. I think the site says when in doubt to go with the smaller size. And yeah, you don't want a cap that's too big. I will report back when mine cap doth arrive.

Comment

Working...
                                X