This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
    That's a steal of price if they are stamped "Made in Italy". I gambled with Amazon on these same ones bot for $20 more several months ago and scored so I rolled the dice again on the Clubmasters and got skunked. They're a great look!
    Is it really that big a difference if it's made in Italy or China? It's the same glasses in a different factory right? Has anyone ever noticed a difference in quality between the 2 or is it just the stigma associated with 'made in china' that makes them less desirable?

Comment

• Banana Republic Slim Linen-Cotton blend shirts arrived today, and will be going back. The medium is too large, while the small fits everywhere but is a little too tight across the chest. Also, both have the strange characteristic of one side being longer than the other, which is pretty disappointing.

Also, both shirts feel quite heavy and thick. I didn't wear them outside so I can't comment on their cooling properties, but is this a common attribute of linen or linen-cotton blends?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
        Is it really that big a difference if it's made in Italy or China? It's the same glasses in a different factory right? Has anyone ever noticed a difference in quality between the 2 or is it just the stigma associated with 'made in china' that makes them less desirable?
        Well- can't speak on the Wayfarers, but the Clubmasters there's a subtle difference- the arm length isn't as long or thick- the front looks very near identical. I do make an assumption based on the clubmasters that the wayfarers have similar differences.

Plus- the stigma is pretty great about made in China. If a person spends money on Italian sunglasses, the expectation is they're made in Italy. If I buy a Swiss watch, I expect it to be made in Switzerland- regardless of where I buy it. If Omega were to license a company in China to make the same thing and stamp it "Made in China" I think (I maybe wrong) many would say it's less than the Swiss counterpart ... I argue it's the same with sunglasses but to a lesser extent - unfortunately sunglasses are more accepted.

Comment

• I'll take a picture and let you guys know when I receive them. I chose the free shipping option, so it will be 5-10 business days apparently. I won't be too bothered either way because I got them so cheap, but I'll hope they were made in Italy.

Comment

• The new Wayfarers I had ordered from OnwardReserve during the Gilt deal just came in and I couldn't be happier. For $88 I got 4 JackBlack skin care products and the Wayfarers. The glasses turned out to be Polarized even though there was no mention of it in the description and they are made in Italy (which I guess is better for resale). I'll try and get some pics of me wearing them a bit later today.

Comment

• Wayfarer pics as promised.

Comment

• So all three pairs of shoes I recently ordered have arrived. Canvas Sperry Topsiders, leather Jack Purcell, and navy canvas Jack Purcell. I think the first two fit, but the third is too small, not to mention that I dislike the rumpled look of it. Shame, since it's a nice color and design otherwise, and sleeker than the other JP. The leather JP has a very strong odor to it, but I assume/hope that will wear off soon. I like the look of it, but I'm a little concerned that my two new casual shoes are so similarly colored. Any thoughts on that? When you see them together the colors don't look quite as similar. In any case, I'll be sending at least one of the JPs back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
                  So all three pairs of shoes I recently ordered have arrived. Canvas Sperry Topsiders, leather Jack Purcell, and navy canvas Jack Purcell. I think the first two fit, but the third is too small, not to mention that I dislike the rumpled look of it. Shame, since it's a nice color and design otherwise, and sleeker than the other JP. The leather JP has a very strong odor to it, but I assume/hope that will wear off soon. I like the look of it, but I'm a little concerned that my two new casual shoes are so similarly colored. Any thoughts on that? When you see them together the colors don't look quite as similar. In any case, I'll be sending at least one of the JPs back.
                  So long as you'll actually wear both, I don't think it matters -- there will be times you want a sneaker vs. a boat shoe. One is canvas, one is leather (albeit reversed from the usual leather boat and canvas sneaker), etc. Only other comment I would say is that I wouldn't keep both if you have another shoe that you'd prefer to own to one or the other (for example, a diff color purcell)

Comment

• I got the navy Purcells a month or two ago myself and I love them. My tongue isn't as 'rumpled' as yours but even so, it's only the tongue that appears that way in your pics. It will be covered up by laces most of the time so no one will really notice it.

Comment

• @hornsup84, I'm well aware that this is an unorthodox combination of materials! I'm not sure if there is a color I would prefer. All the casual shoes I currently own are either very worn or starting to get there, so I really need an overhaul. And as much as I like the navy color, I don't think it is as versatile as sand/tan. Though I do wonder, would being leather make the Purcell less versatile and summery than a similar canvas sneaker?

@Vicious49, It's encouraging to hear such a favorable review of them. Perhaps I'm biased against them since they are a bit small for me, and would like them more if properly sized. And maybe the next pair would look more crisp and neat as well. I would definitely give them a chance if that were the case.

Comment

• I have them in white, navy, and olive. I think the white and navy are both very versatile. The olive ones are more of a change of pace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                          The new Wayfarers I had ordered from OnwardReserve during the Gilt deal just came in and I couldn't be happier. For $88 I got 4 JackBlack skin care products and the Wayfarers. The glasses turned out to be Polarized even though there was no mention of it in the description and they are made in Italy (which I guess is better for resale). I'll try and get some pics of me wearing them a bit later today.
                          That's a great price on the wayfarers! They look good and even better on you! Glad to hear you're happy with the purchase!

Comment

• Ugh, after wearing both pairs some more, I'm starting to think that while both Purcells fit in terms of length and width, they put a lot of pressure on my instep and start to hurt within ten minutes. I've never had this problem before, with any shoes. What are the chances going a size up would help, and has anyone else experienced similar difficulties?

Comment

• Went ahead a snagged a Levi's Trucker jacket in Rigid from the sale... Won't be wearing it for a couple months but I really wanted one and will put it to good use this fall.

Comment

• Picked these up from the Jcrew Sale today: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...5G9W8oexYBA8TQ

Happy Fourth everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X