Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ajk: I actually dig those homages too; have ever since I first saw them on WUS a couple years back.

Of course in a purist view, they probably are doing a bit of disservice to Panerai, as Invicta and the like do to Rolex, but they look pretty damn nice to me, and as I don't see myself dropping the huge coin on a Pan, I could see getting a Pan-hom at some point too. I do have a Wenger SA Expedition on a rubber strap that has a *bit* of a Pan look to it - not very close, really - but a *similar* vibe.

A HS buddy of mine, who sadly passed away about a year and a half back, was a HUGE watch nut. He *collected* Panerais in particular. I think he had at least 8-10 of them. I recall him wearing his fave at our 25 year class reunion, a mere few months before his passing. At his funeral, in the slide show of memories, there was a shot if him on his honeymoon, out diving & snorkeling with a Pan on each wrist. Tacky? Probably. A good pic to put a smile on saddened faces at a funeral home? Yep.

Anyway, I say wear that homage in good health. Your wrist. Your watch.

Comment

yoyo- Thanks for sharing your buddies passion, I feel it's through the sharing of memories he is honored and remembered. Certainly made me smile!

There is something about that look and if I really like it and fall in love with it I could probably... maybe... there's a chance... slim to none, that I could get my wife to agree to a used Pan 111. Of course that's after she gets to go to Italy next year and pay off her car, my truck... maybe I'll just stick to the homage and work her for a new Speedmaster Who am I kidding, that's why I like the Casio EF 503D so I can afford to take her on vacation!
      Last edited by ajk170; June 2, 2013, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
        BenR - that's a beautiful watch. What model is it? I love the face on it but the bracelet is a bit too shiny for my tastes.

My new watch should be here Wednesday. It an old Breitling Aerospace.
        It's a previous generation Engineer II Ohio in the now-discontinued 38mm size. Ball dumped all their mid-sized men's models a couple years back (quite irritating IMO, though admittedly, upsizing is the trend all across the industry). I've been looking for one in the right condition and for the right price since before I bought my Fireman Racer last spring. I love my Racer, but this Ohio just feels more "right" on my wrist because it fits so perfectly.

I agree the bracelet is very shiny, too shiny, but it's incredibly comfortable and honestly not as garish or, conversely, bland, as I had feared, perhaps due in part to the watch's modest size. I'm waiting on the arrival of my new blue Hirsch Duke, which unfortunately seems to be backordered and is taking longer than I had anticipated.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Breitling. I've honestly not seen a lot from Breitling that catches my eye aside from the Trans Ocean.
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
          Now I am totally done with watches... for now...
          Haha. Many a person has said that before.

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Breitling. I've honestly not seen a lot from Breitling that catches my eye aside from the Trans Ocean.
          I'm not a Breitling fan either. Their watches are generally too busy and too big for my taste. This is the older version Aerospace that is 40 mm in size. The newer one is 42 mm. I've read reviews from both sides that thing their respective watch is the better choice. I really can't decide which one is better until I see them in person. Now to keep an eye out for a good deal on the newer version and then sell the one I like least.

This is the one I have on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
            yoyo- Thanks for sharing your buddies passion, I feel it's through the sharing of memories he is honored and remembered. Certainly made me smile!
            Your very welcome, man. What a nice thing to say - glad you enjoyed that memory share. He had a serious collection of watches and pool cues. Mortorcycles too, IIRC. Don't ask. Anyway, he was an eye doctor (not sure which - maybe an OD?) - so I think he made some pretty decent dough. But I also heard that he was pretty smart at buying and turning around some of his pieces (mostly the pool cues) for some really nice profit. Regardless he had some pretty sweet toys!

BTW, dude was always smiling... OK, maybe *grinning* is a better word. It had been many, many years since seeing him - until our class reunion, of course. So crazy that only a few months later he was gone. I like to remember him as my ever-smiling/grinning bud from back in tha day.

Comment

Originally posted by gargao View Post
              Here is a pic of the box, sole and with more light to see the details in the suede. It is actually darker than this pic, more like my first picture. As you can see it is a custom order, but whoever had it made I don't know why they didn't like it. It seems like a staple.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
              Cool! And yeah, why would you NOT like that custom order? Maybe fit him poorly? Dunno. If so, then why order a custom version of the shoe, right? Ah well.. your gain!

BTW, here's a shot of the one I tried at Nory Rack:

It was labeled on the box (no name listed on the insole bed, per usual) as "Schautal" 5603 with a color of "tan." If they drop way low on markdowns, I might not be able to resist.

The shoe on the floor behind me there is a pretty sweet rust color suede AE Big Sur - much nicer than the beige suede version of that same shoe that is also there at the Rack. Sadly that one in the back was a 1/2 size too big for me. Otherwise I might've had to snag it.

Anyway, just thought that MacNeil custom of yours and this (never heard of before - at least I haven't and I couldn't find anything on it on teh intertron) "Schautal" looked pretty darn similar; built on different lasts I guess. Dunno. Sometimes the model#/last system isn't an exact science. Usually, but not always.

Again, rock those bad boys. They look sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Kroaker View Post
                Well, I took the plunge and ordered my first suit(s) from Suitupply. Since we don't have stores down here in Texas, I had to go the online route. Ordered both a navy Napoli and the blue London. Depending on what I think about the fit, I'll probably be sending the one I like less back. I'm almost kind of hoping I like the Napoli best, since they have so many other styles and colors in that fit. Wish me luck!
                Well, hate to quote myself, but here goes. Got the suits in today. Decided on the Napoli since I liked the fit of the jacket a bit better. My tailor said both the jacket and waist on the pants fit me perfectly. They are hemming the pants (I went medium break with 1.75" cuff) and I should be ready to go! I liked the fit so much, I went ahead and ordered the gray Napoli today, too!

Comment

Hah Kroaker I did the same thing x2 , but will probably return them as having them tailored was $130 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kroaker View Post
                    Well, hate to quote myself, but here goes. Got the suits in today. Decided on the Napoli since I liked the fit of the jacket a bit better. My tailor said both the jacket and waist on the pants fit me perfectly. They are hemming the pants (I went medium break with 1.75" cuff) and I should be ready to go! I liked the fit so much, I went ahead and ordered the gray Napoli today, too!
                    I got my napoli a few days ago and love it. Dallas is supposed to be getting a store, so there goes my solvency.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadanth View Post
                      I got my napoli a few days ago and love it. Dallas is supposed to be getting a store, so there goes my solvency.
                      REALLY?!?! Sweeeeeeeet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chadanth View Post
                        Will be making the drive for sure. Hope Houston gets one soon.

Comment

JCP Polos

Bought two JCP striped polos for $10 each. Seriously, no polo should be this awesome for $10. Fit was perfect, cotton is soooo soft. It's really making me regret buying 4 Uniqlo polos last week. Those were nice but these kick the crap out of them.

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/men/s...rentDimVal=jcp
                          http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5...6031632491.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                            The shoe on the floor behind me there is a pretty sweet rust color suede AE Big Sur - much nicer than the beige suede version of that same shoe that is also there at the Rack. Sadly that one in the back was a 1/2 size too big for me. Otherwise I might've had to snag it.
                            I found a pair of like new Big Sur's on Ebay last year for about $40 shipped. Thought I made out great until I put them on. The left shoe was fine but the right hurt my foot literally seconds after putting it on. The shoes are rigid and I thought they might break in eventually. But after wearing them 3-4 times I couldn't take it anymore. It felt like my foot was in there sideways while a vice-grip was squeezing my foot all day. I later saw reviews of them online and almost everyone talked about how they hurt their feet and never broke in despite dozens of wears.

Mine still looked new so I put them back on Ebay a month or so ago for $25. Funny thing is that they sold for about $65 and the buyer raved about them.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                              BTW, here's a shot of the one I tried at Nory Rack:

It was labeled on the box (no name listed on the insole bed, per usual) as "Schautal" 5603 with a color of "tan." If they drop way low on markdowns, I might not be able to resist.

Anyway, just thought that MacNeil custom of yours and this (never heard of before - at least I haven't and I couldn't find anything on it on teh intertron) "Schautal" looked pretty darn similar; built on different lasts I guess. Dunno. Sometimes the model#/last system isn't an exact science. Usually, but not always.
                              Two pairs of these just showed up in the NYC rack, and one happened to be in my usual size. I grabbed it, since there was only one for me and rack has a 30day return policy. It was also $200, which yea isn't a super deal for AE, but it's cheaper than the other AE shoes rack carries. I noticed it has a white, padded lining. Padded under the laces. do you know what that's about? I haven't seen it on any other AE's before.

It's a good looking shoe, but do I really need it? Hmmmmm

Comment

Just picked up the JCP Oxford Shorts in both colors tonight and I have to say, for $18 a pair (on sale) they're a great purchase. I had tried a pair of the similar Merona Tailored Fit shorts last week at Target and not only were they too tight in the waist and the legs (carrying around thunder thighs here)they were also about $7 more. The JCP Oxford Shorts material is soft and lightweight and they are the perfect length, right around 9", so they hit just above the knee. Pretty similar fit as the JCF Grammercy short in 9" length.

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/shops...mComboVal=null

Comment

Working...
                                X