This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
    Nordy Rack took my money again last night; and I couldn't be happier about it.

Two slots filled in my (very) recent attempt at the "buy quality" for a "lean(er) wardrobe" undertaking - (still in it's infancy for me, but these are the kinds of purchases I want to make going forward, in that hopeful endeavor).

RW Beckman Chukka: I've had either the (regular boot) Beckman, the Wolverine 1K boot, or a similar Chippewa model in mind for my future "nice work boot" slot. This one nearly jumped off the shelf into my arms, and quickly under my arm as I headed straight to the registers. $102? Uhmmmm... Sure!

AE Vernon: *Just* different enough from the typical black plain-toe or cap-toe for my tastes. Fit is really good on my funky-flat feet too. 8-108 last is similar to the 2-222 last, which works for me (as in my Madison Aves). $160 - not the best deal ever probably, but I think it's pretty solid. Solid enough that I tucked them under my other arm and quickly surrendered my dough.

Nordy Rack: I love you; even more than my wallet hates you.
    Oh wow...nice haul, yoyorobbo! I've got a pair of the standard Red Wing Beckmans and they're pretty much what I wear all Fall & Winter. I've always liked the look of that boot in chukka form. $100 bucks....what a steal! They're going to last you forever. Those Vernons look very nice as well. The 8-108 is one of AEs more sleeker looking lasts.

Comment

@yoyorobbo: Posts like yours make it very difficult for me to save money. :-P

Comment

But Alan, look how much money you'll *save* with these deals/steals! Isn't that how the women in our lives usually tell the story? LOL

Thanks guys. Re the chukka version: I've never tried those out until last night - only the regular boot one. Been wearing them around the house today, and they are STIFF (sturdy), but I know RWs in particular can take a good week or two to break in. They already feel better 30 minutes in. Hopefully they do last me a long time. That's my goal with some of these recent (more costly for me) purchases. Obviously it's nice to get the deals on them. But I'm wanting to really try to focus on fewer but better goods. We'll see how long that lasts... LOL.

Comment

Nordy Rack took my money again last night; and I couldn't be happier about it.

Two slots filled in my (very) recent attempt at the "buy quality" for a "lean(er) wardrobe" undertaking - (still in it's infancy for me, but these are the kinds of purchases I want to make going forward, in that hopeful endeavor).

RW Beckman Chukka: I've had either the (regular boot) Beckman, the Wolverine 1K boot, or a similar Chippewa model in mind for my future "nice work boot" slot. This one nearly jumped off the shelf into my arms, and quickly under my arm as I headed straight to the registers. $102? Uhmmmm... Sure!

AE Vernon: *Just* different enough from the typical black plain-toe or cap-toe for my tastes. Fit is really good on my funky-flat feet too. 8-108 last is similar to the 2-222 last, which works for me (as in my Madison Aves). $160 - not the best deal ever probably, but I think it's pretty solid. Solid enough that I tucked them under my other arm and quickly surrendered my dough.

Nordy Rack: I love you; even more than my wallet hates you.
          Holy crap! $100? I remember when these were $300+ at jcrew. I love my suede Peal and Co Chukkas I got a few weeks ago, but a leather red winger seems like an all-season superstar.

That's it. I'm going to The Rack friday after work, before it gets picked clean from Memorial Day shoppers.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekH View Post
            Holy crap! $100? I remember when these were $300+ at jcrew. I love my suede Peal and Co Chukkas I got a few weeks ago, but a leather red winger seems like an all-season superstar.

That's it. I'm going to The Rack friday after work, before it gets picked clean from Memorial Day shoppers.
            Ha! Pretty sure I got really lucky on the RWs - timed perfectly; accidentally.

I immediately dropped everything else in my cart (ask them to hold my stuff for me - had things picked out to try on) and told the checkout chick (they check you out remotely, throughout the store now with their iPhones - pretty sweet) I was going to buy the shoes first, then come back in and browse. Her eyes went wide when she rang them up.

They're still listed on Nordstrom's main site (and on the original sticker on this pair) at $340. But marked down to $102? That's 70% off, man! I looked for something wrong with them, but couldn't see a thing. Can't figure out why they would be dropped that low. Whatever... I'm gonna stop asking. LOL

They might not be everyone's cup o' tea (the chukka style, I mean) - same with the Vernons; which can be polarizing, I'm sure - but I kinda like finding items *just* a little different than the usual, if possible. Nothing at all wrong, certainly, with the rock-solid standards in the product lines. But these meet my personal interests in the *slightly* different category. To each, his own.

Now, stop reading this and get over to THE RACK!
            Last edited by yoyorobbo; May 23, 2013, 03:28 PM.

Comment

But Alan, look how much money you'll *save* with these deals/steals! Isn't that how the women in our lives usually tell the story?
              In our family, I'm the one with expensive shoes. :-S She may have 3 times more than me, but her average shoe price is probably $30 or $40 while mine is somewhere over the $200 mark.

And truth be told, I already have some black AE balmorals and some chili AE combination-soled chukkas. But my affinity for nice shoes is comical. I'm pretty much a guy's guy about everything except when it comes to shoes.

Comment

Ha! Pretty sure I got really lucky on the RWs - timed perfectly; accidentally.

I immediately dropped everything else in my cart (ask them to hold my stuff for me - had things picked out to try on) and told the checkout chick (they check you out remotely, throughout the store now with their iPhones - pretty sweet) I was going to buy the shoes first, then come back in and browse. Her eyes went wide when she rang them up.

They're still listed on Nordstrom's main site (and on the original sticker on this pair) at $340. But marked down to $102? That's 70% off, man! I looked for something wrong with them, but couldn't see a thing. Can't figure out why they would be dropped that low. Whatever... I'm gonna stop asking. LOL

They might not be everyone's cup o' tea (the chukka style, I mean) - same with the Vernons; which can be polarizing, I'm sure - but I kinda like finding items *just* a little different than the usual, if possible. Nothing at all wrong, certainly, with the rock-solid standards in the product lines. But these meet my personal interests in the *slightly* different category. To each, his own.

Now, stop reading this and get over to THE RACK!
                Similar thing happened to me with my
                Walnut strands. Picked them up cu it was rare - 70 bucks. My jaw dropped and I slowly turned them over to see the size. Bingo! I ran to the checkout so fast, as if someone was going to say - smile! You're on candid camera!

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
                  Similar thing happened to me with my
                  Walnut strands. Picked them up cu it was rare - 70 bucks. My jaw dropped and I slowly turned them over to see the size. Bingo! I ran to the checkout so fast, as if someone was going to say - smile! You're on candid camera!
                  Yeah, that happened to me too when...

Who am I kidding. That's never happened to me. :-P

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                    In our family, I'm the one with expensive shoes. :-S She may have 3 times more than me, but her average shoe price is probably $30 or $40 while mine is somewhere over the $200 mark.
                    Same here. She actually doesn't even like spending money. She gets more excited about going to the dollar store than going to any department store.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                      Same here. She actually doesn't even like spending money. She gets more excited about going to the dollar store than going to any department store.
                      Oh mine too... I'm just talking about the "on sale" stuff. My wife is super diligent about hitting the clearance racks and only buys stuff on sale, but that doesn't mean the end result totals are low.

I used to be the opposite; buy whatever I wanted when I wanted. Not a good policy, mind you. I've since learned her methods and haven't bought anything NOT on sale (often clearance only goods), but again.. that can lead to overbuying, just because "it's a great deal!" LOL

Comment

I've since learned her methods and haven't bought anything NOT on sale (often clearance only goods), but again.. that can lead to overbuying, just because "it's a great deal!" LOL
                        This is me ever since I graduated from college and got my first real job. That's when I realized how much my money meant to me. Before I started branching out, I did nearly all my shoppigng at Banana Republic, but I would walk straight to the clearance racks at the back of the store. If they didn't have anything I wanted, I walked right back out. I generally don't entertain a purchase if it's less than 40% off.

Of course, now I have a hard time saying no to good deals, even on things I don't really need. That's a problem I never had before discovering this website. :-P

Comment

Stopped into a JCF store to return a pair of jeans and while I wasn't interested in much of what they had to offer, they did have a sweet herringbone blazer that I had only previously seen at retail JC stores.

it's more brown in person, but looks great. May have to size down to a 38R though.

Blazer isn't on JCF website yet, but it'll be a perfect fall piece. $168 regular price, but 50% off this weekend! Steal of a deal IMO.

Comment

Wow I wish I had a jcf near me, I'd definitely grab that sport coat.

I found these at rack on my way home tonight:

Comment

@mdswta4- That's a great looking jacket and sounds like a steal. I really like that look for a fall piece. Does it have elbow patches?

Comment

So my JCF steal-of-a-deal for today was the Thompson heather gray suit. I initially bought the charcoal and then realized I really meant to get the heather gray. Since I have a JCF store an hour away I figured I can always return one of them. I also decided to call in the second order and ask if I can get the 50% off deal - it was a long shot but nothing to lose by asking. So the girl looks through the different deals, finds the emailed deal and says she can honor it but will have to do it manually. What great luck for me- so she rings it all up and says the total. Now, I swear I didn't hear her very well, maybe it was a bad connection, maybe I wasn't paying attention, or maybe I just didn't want to hear the total because I'm thinking about how I'm going to explain this to the wife. She says she'll charge the card on file and send an email out and then she's gone. So I'm thinking, "Did I hear that right?" and I get the email and sure enough ... $100.50 for the suit.

It seems as though the girl took the online web sale price and then discounted 50% off of that. Once I realized what she did, I called JCF back and explained the error but they honored the price. Wow- JCF just vaulted to the top of my list.

METHOD ITEM # ITEM/SIZE/COLOR STATUS QTY PRICE TOTAL PRICE
                                Standard Ground (4-7 Business Days) 29132 Factory Thompson suit pant / 32/32 / HTHR GREY Waitlisted
                                Expected ship date Jul 9, 2013 1 $35.25 $35.25

SHIPPING METHOD ITEM # ITEM/SIZE/COLOR STATUS QTY PRICE TOTAL PRICE
                                Standard Ground (4-7 Business Days) 39603 Factory Thompson two-button suit jacket with double vent / 38/R / HTHR GREY Submitted
                                1 $65.25 $65.25

TOTAL

MERCHANDISE TOTAL $100.50
                                GIFT OPTIONS $0.00
                                SUBTOTAL $100.50
                                SHIPPING OFFER ($4.95)
                                SHIPPING & HANDLING $4.95
                                TAX $5.02

TOTAL $105.52

PAYMENT HISTORY

Although a mistake on the CS reps part, I think that makes this a great deal like what everyone was saying on the main site- a great deal is sub $200.
                                Last edited by ajk170; May 23, 2013, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X