Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screw you, Internet, you can't tell me what to do. Oh wait, yes you can.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to Wear But Don't:

Rain cloaks. Riding boots. Fancy pistol in a Han Solo holster rig, with a sword on the other side. Basically, if you crossed GothNinja and Dungeons and Dragons and Star Wars. Yeah.

Casual suiting; some of the things I'm seeing in italian summer suits are amazing but would just not work in my social environment.

Wear but Don't Want To:

Pretty much nothing, these days. Outside of the above, my tastes run to fairly vanilla fits (trim chinos or trousers, dark jeans, oxfords, smart shoes or boots, sport coat)

Comment

Originally posted by hbi2k View Post
      As a fellow desert dweller and Mr. Sweaty Guy, this is the first spring (soon to be summer) that I've managed to regularly pull off the sans-undershirt thing. Here's what helped me turn the corner:

* Stopped using deodorant / antiperspirant. Instead, I sprinkle a little baking soda into my palm while it's still wet from the shower, rub my hands together, and slap it onto my armpits. It kills the Stank Bacteria but doesn't stain your shirts when you sweat. (Antiperspirant doesn't do squat for me anyway so I don't miss it.) If that's a little granola for you, Herban Cowboy makes a roll-on stick that works on the same principle.
      * Seersucker or linen, every day. Way cooler, way more breathable even than cotton, and when you do sweat, it dries fast. Bonus: you don't have to iron seersucker, and while you can iron linen, it looks good rumpled too.
      * A slightly looser fit. Again, more breathable, sweat dries faster, and it doesn't soak through the fabric as much if the fabric's not right up against your skin.
      * Summerweight chinos, breathable shoes (no cushioning), skip the socks whenever possible. Give your body heat as many escape routes as you can manage.

Am happy to report that I've had zero problems with pitstains since trying the above.
      Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely keep them in mind as the temperature continues to rise.

Comment

Things I don't wear but want to:
        -Different/Bright Colors. Sometimes I just don't feel comfortable with colors outside of my usual navy or blue. Slowly working my way out.
        -Shawl Collar Cardigans. Just can't seem to pull it off, but i've seen some dudes look great in them.
        -Pocket Squares. I'll have to force myself for the next wedding, or maybe order a few more so I have options (only have a plain white silk at the moment)
        -Baseball Cap. Never quite looked right to me. Also, always makes my head overheat and feel uncomfortable.

Things I wear but don't want to:
        -Tighter pants. They look good but damn it gets cramped down there sometimes.

Comment

I found a ton of guys today that would have fit right into to this thead. Intentionally or unintentionally who knows. Flew from RI to West Palm for vacation (second time in a month I love this place!)

Buttoning all suit buttons.
          Blazer with almost matching pants but enough where you can tell the difference.
          Crocs
          Some sales guy with a black suit, red shirt, black tie. Also two sizes too big.

What I am getting at. It's funny sometimes with fashion/style. If you don't know the "rules" and break them you're a POR dresser. If you know the rules and break them you are some advant garde hero. Men's fashion is a fickle beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
            I found a ton of guys today that would have fit right into to this thead. Intentionally or unintentionally who knows. Flew from RI to West Palm for vacation (second time in a month I love this place!)

Buttoning all suit buttons.
            Blazer with almost matching pants but enough where you can tell the difference.
            Crocs
            Some sales guy with a black suit, red shirt, black tie. Also two sizes too big.

What I am getting at. It's funny sometimes with fashion/style. If you don't know the "rules" and break them you're a POR dresser. If you know the rules and break them you are some advant garde hero. Men's fashion is a fickle beast.
            Well, that dynamic exists with more than just style. For example, if you routinely omit capitals and punctuation, you may be a youtube commenter or you may be e.e. cummings. It all depends on your level of intention and control over the rule-breaking you're doing.

Comment

Things I don't wear but want to:
              Hats: I live in Florida and I'd love to wear a panama hat when I wear my summer linen trousers and jackets but I'm afraid of looking like a fedora/mra bro

Comment

Working...
              X