Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screw you, Internet, you can't tell me what to do. Oh wait, yes you can.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screw you, Internet, you can't tell me what to do. Oh wait, yes you can.

So, I've been an unrepentant flip-flop wearer for years. This year I decided to go for a style upgrade, so I bought a pair of Cole Haan driving mocs during the sale that was recently featured on the main page. They're great, really, but they're no competition for flip-flops, so guess what I'll be buying this weekend.

Anyway, that got me thinking, and I'd love to hear about (1) things you want to wear/do but don't because of what you've read online, and (2) things you wear/do because of what you've read online, but don't really like.

This isn't meant to be a things-you-hate thread, or a thread to confess the sartorial mistakes you made before you knew better. Instead, I'd like to hear about the ways in which you let the "wisdom" of the crowd override your own personal taste or judgement.

Here are a few of mine, to get things moving.

Things I don't wear but want to.
    • Flip-flops. I've already mentioned this, and I plan to change this right away.
    • Born shoes. I used to have a pair, but ever since I started paying more attention to how I dress, I've felt like these are off limits. Yes, some (most) of them are ugly. But some of them look fine. And they're well made. And they're oh so comfy, too. One day I'll crack and buy a new pair.

Things I wear but don't want to
    • Short shorts. My new shorts don't reach my knees. My new shorts don't reach my knees? I'm not afraid to show some leg--I'm 6'5" and I spend hours each week running (in public) in shorts with a 2.5" inseam--but why don't my casual shorts reach my knees anymore?
    • Sport coats. I totally get sport coats. But I just feel goofy wearing them, and I can't seem to get past that. But I keep trying. And trying. And trying.

That's it for now. Your turn.

Things I don't wear but want to
    - Hats. Will mess up my hair if I have to take it off and on frequently.
    - Boots. They won't be versatile for my wardrobe, I don't think, so they're way down on my list
    - Pocket watch. Looks cool, but too much for others
    - Cravat. Too much too handle for others as well

- ...thingking hard....I wear what I want these days

Comment

Things I don't wear but want to:
      - Hats: Like 3piece, I also want to wear more hats, except my problem is that my head is really big, and it's often hard to find hats that fit.
      - Monk Straps: Have always wanted to try them, but feel it's a bit trendy for me.
      - Double breasted suits: Might end up looking like this guy. Although he and the movie are both awesome, that 80's padded suit leaves a lot to be desired.

Things I wear, but don't want to:
      - Jeans: In a vacuum I like jeans, but it's just that there are too many occasions where the social norm is to wear jeans, even if there are better pants options.

Comment

Things I don't wear but want to (kind of):

- Cargo pants. Particularly tactical/utility cargo pants.
        - Undershirts as shirts. Doesn't matter what color.
        - Baseball caps.
        - My Oakley Flak Jackets.

These things, coupled with a black leather jacket and utility boots was essentially my uniform for years. I still like wearing them when I'm in IDGAF mode. I looked every bit the part of the heavily tattooed, paramilitary bro-thug, especially when I was still active duty. The difference in reactions from that style to now is, well...distinct.

But nowadays, I still wear what I want. If anything the internet just serves to increase the number of things I'd like to wear, not force me to wear anything I wouldn't.

Comment

- Non-Baseball Cap Hats: I like the look of a number of "dress" hats out there but frankly, it would be regarded as costume around here.
          - Suits: Other than funerals and weddings, I have very few occasions to wear one without major staring (not the good staring) I own like 5 suits and a tux and want to wear them a lot more often than I will ever get a chance to do so.
          - Monk Straps: I don't feel they're trendy, they've been around since the 50's I believe, but my wife thinks they're effeminate and would draw a ton of criticism/derision. She feels the same way about OTC socks but no one is ever going to see those when I wear them.
          - Double breasted suits: Like Celimos, I want one, a nice loud one in fact, but same problem as my other suits but add more "why are you wearing that?" chatter.
          - Odd Jacket/ties: I wear this occasionally and have like 10-11 odd jackets but it's amazing how much dressing up even a little bit draws such attention. I see a fair amount of people with a tie but no jacket but thanks to the internet, I can't make myself do that.
          -Wild colors/patterns: I like bright colors in summer and fall and love tweed in fall plaids but again with the staring.

Things I wear, but don't want to:
          Chinos: I actually prefer nice dress pants or even jeans to chinos but the uniform of khaki chinos and light blue button down is about as dressed up as I can get around here without drawing unwanted attention to myself. God forbid I wear some nice grey wool pants and a jacket.

I don't work in an environment where people wear suits or even business casual so my dressing up is social only and in this town, dressing up is apparently rare. Went to the granddaughters final concert last Thursday night. The local news anchor's kid is in the orchestra and he, another guy and I were the only men there dressed beyond jeans and button down shirt. Haven't tried the jeans/sport coat combo yet due to the hate it gets on SF and AAAC, even though I like the look. May have to just say FU to the internet sartorial experts and do it anyways. I wore it to a birthday party for my niece's daughter and the husband gave me a "are you serious" look when he opened the door, just amazing how casual everyone is expected to be now. I'm 52 years old and still feel like I can't get away with dressing up, or even just dressing nicely without getting a lot of flack.

I have had a FU attitude all my life and would dress how I want, but the wife is of a "don't make waves" mentality and so I follow the "dress appropriately for the event" rule. Part of that rule is to dress no more than a notch or two above the other folks there. I feel that the way things are going, eventually we'll all be wearing onesies like in Star Trek and I'll be overdressed in 2-piece pajama sets. I'm actually glad to see the current 20-somethings driving a return to dressing well even if some of it is really "out there" (see Streetwear and Denim at SF).

Comment

Originally posted by winghus View Post
            I don't work in an environment where people wear suits or even business casual so my dressing up is social only and in this town, dressing up is apparently rare. Went to the granddaughters final concert last Thursday night. The local news anchor's kid is in the orchestra and he, another guy and I were the only men there dressed beyond jeans and button down shirt. Haven't tried the jeans/sport coat combo yet due to the hate it gets on SF and AAAC, even though I like the look. May have to just say FU to the internet sartorial experts and do it anyways. I wore it to a birthday party for my niece's daughter and the husband gave me a "are you serious" look when he opened the door, just amazing how casual everyone is expected to be now. I'm 52 years old and still feel like I can't get away with dressing up, or even just dressing nicely without getting a lot of flack.
            I have a similar problem with dressing up. I'm in my 20's and the usual uniform for most of my friends is either jeans and a tshirt, or more jeans and one of those going out shirts. And yes, I know exactly what you mean by the "are you serious" look.

Comment

1. Loafers sockless. I don't own a pair so my go to is espadrilles. I could switch to loafers as it is a quick swap. This would end up being a cheap pair as something like some AE's would hold the smell forever.

Things I wear but don't want to:
              1. Gloves in the winter. I park in a garage and am hardly outside. Why do I need fashionable gloves? I have pockets!

Comment

Sport jackets. The climate in Toronto just doesn't allow for it. We go from cold to hot/humid with at most a couple of weeks in between, and the transition is usually rainy. It's rare to find a day where I would be comfortable walking around in a shirt and sport jacket for casual wear. But I want to.

Things I wear but don't want to: nothing comes to mind, really. Except I have one pair of skinny jeans and no intention of ever buying more.

Comment

Things I don't wear but want to.
                  - More colorful chinos/summer pants (the few pairs I have are neutral gray,brown, khaki)
                  - Sport coats (more often)
                  - Ties (more often)
                  - My hats (more often. Still building the massive amount of confidence to overcome what seems like a nearly universal hatred of classic head-wear, namely fedoras)

- Shorts (at lease less often)

Comment

- Chinos. I keep thinking I'd look good in them, but when I try them on I just can't see myself wearing them.
                    - Long sleeve shirts (as opposed to T-Shirts). I bought one last year and it is still folded up in my drawer

- Nothing comes to mind.

Comment

-Sockless: I like the bare ankled look and I love the feel of a breeze on a hot day, but here in Texas the only time I can get away with no socks is wearing casual shorts and a canvas sneaker or sandal.
                      -Pattern suits: A plain navy or gray is already loud for my office. Putting on a prince of whales, blackwatch, or even a pinstripe can be seen as too bold where I work.
                      -Bowtie: I wouldn't mind taking a stab at one... but much too different for office and much too "look at me" for going out. Maybe at a wedding I could get away with one.

-Pocket squares and ties: They have no utility or function, they are purely cosmetic. Ties are a necessary evil due to social norms and I suppose they hide shirt buttons for a cleaner look, but pocket squares are just something I use to add visual interest on a jacket. I could make an argument that every other item of clothing I wear serves an actual purpose (shoes protect feet, socks keep feet dry, shirt/pants cover body, watch tells time, belt holds up pants, sunglasses block sun, hats provide shade, jackets provide warmth), but ties/pocket squares are just ornamental dongles on my body that I never feel natural wearing.
                      -Jackets/Blazers: Even a linen/cotton blazer is still too hot in Texas most days between now and October. However, they set me apart from the generic slacks+shirt+tie guys in the office, so I wear them when I can get them to work with an outfit.

Comment

What it comes down to, I've found, is that the Internet is a great source of ideas, and real life is a great source of feedback. Only the Internet can give you something to wear that's truly new or novel compared to those around you, but only those around you can tell you if it's actually working for you or not.

Most of the things I'd like to wear but don't aren't directly because someone on the Internet tells me they're not in fashion, but indirectly; because they're not in fashion, it's incredibly difficult to find them in a good fit for a decent price and without any number of dealbreakers messing them up for me. I'd love to wear an unconstructed, unlined seersucker suit that fit well and didn't have stupidly low armholes or a stupidly high button stance or a stupidly chopped tail, but nobody makes them, and if I had the money to spend on a custom suit, I'd spend it on something more versatile.

Other than that, my big limitation is weather. I love the layered look, but I live in the godforsaken desert, so I hate the layered feel. Oh well.
                        Last edited by hbi2k; May 5, 2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Jackets/Blazers. My office is fiercely on the casual side of business casual. Now that I've been there a while I could pop one on here and there and not run into much of a problem (particularly if paired with a step down from wool to chino pants) but I have trouble dropping, say, $400 for a suitsupply jacket that's a completely unneeded luxury item. This all goes double for a jacket that's not your standard navy jacket/blazer.

That's really the big one for me.

Wool Shirts - There are a couple (literally) of companies that make wool shirts that might be office worthy, but I have no idea if they fit and they're usually pretty expensive. But how nice would it be to have a shirt that you wash as often as your wool pants - i.e. never?

Anything I don't want to wear usually sits unworn at the end of the closet/drawer. I guess jeans to some extent. Not that I hate jeans, but there's still a strong "chinos are for dorks" sentiment in a lot of the country so it's jeans, jeans, jeans all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post

- Chinos. I keep thinking I'd look good in them, but when I try them on I just can't see myself wearing them.
                            - Long sleeve shirts (as opposed to T-Shirts). I bought one last year and it is still folded up in my drawer

- Nothing comes to mind.
                            This kind of surprised me... so is it safe to assume you only wear T-shirts and jeans or shorts? What do you wear if you go out to a nice dinner? Or are you just saying you never wear casual long sleeve button down shirts and just jump from T-shirts to dress shirts depending on the formality of the occasion?

Comment

* Wool pants. I basically own zero pairs right now. I mostly wear chinos to the office (very casual workplace) but within the next year I'd like to start upgrading my wardrobe to include items on the more formal size of business casual. When I do, I want to do it right though, so no cheaping out (hence the delay, I'd rather nail down my more casual game first, and I'm getting close).
                              * Sport coats - still don't feel comfortable wearing them to my casual office. I need to start throwing them on on the weekend to get used to wearing them, and then throw them on at the office with some kind of excuse for wearing it or something. They do so much for your look for something so incredibly easy to throw on, but I don't want to be "that guy" at the office.
                              * monk straps - I feel they're versatile enough to be worn with my current chinos but also with my future bizcaz game, and I'd like to break into that.

Things I wear but I don't want to:
                              * My work ID card.
                              * My work briefcase (uggghhhhh rayon...).
                              * crappy shoes (my current priority is upgrading this).

Comment

Working...
                              X