Spier & Mackay Shirts: First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spier & Mackay Shirts: First Impressions

Decided to give them a try after some recommendations on this forum, and thought I would share my experience.

I purchased:
    Blue & Tan Kineton Check http://www.spierandmackay.com/produc..._kineton_check (Contemporary Fit) Size 15 1/2
    White Poplin 100s http://www.spierandmackay.com/produc...re_poplin_100s (Slim Fit) Size 15 1/2
    Cloud Blue Oxford http://www.spierandmackay.com/produc...ford___brushed (Slim Fit) Size 15 1/2

About me:
    I am right at 6'0", 195 lbs, 34' waist. If the jacket is a "classic" fit I can wear a 38R, but for most BR/JC slim fits I wear a 40R.
    My best fitting off the rack shirts have been the JCF Thompson shirts (Medium), as these are cut trim but not too slim, have high armholes, and generally just don't leave too much fabric where I don't want it.

Fit
    I tried both Contemporary and Slim fit to see which would be better for my more "shapely" build (i.e. some love handles). The Slim fit is SLIM. I mean tight. If you are a lanky/skinny guy you will probably love them. Me, I got some meat on my bones and it is well marbled at that. The Slim fit just looked ridiculous on me. Even in my prime college days though, this Slim would probably still be too fitted. Unless you are quite thin, you probably won't feel comfortable in this fit.

The Contemporary fit, on the other hand, was much better. High armholes so I can literally make a "T" with my arms and not feel a tug at the waist. A clean yoke without any pleats but still plenty of room to hug and stretch. I am wearing the shirt as I type this, and the sleeves are hitting right at my wristbones with my arms slightly bent laying flat on my desk. The shirt was plenty long to tuck in, too.

Overall, this Contemporary fit is better than the JCF Thompson fit off the rack... the sleeves are a tad shorter, which is usually one of my only gripes with the Thompson shirts (they are just a half inch long or so). The fact that you can choose your neck size is awesome, as well. I can be a 15 1/2-16" neck and Thompson shirts all come at 15 1/2".

Construction & Quality
    Where do I start? I really like the details all over this shirt. The strong, beefy collar. Thick MOP buttons, but not too wide. Good fabrics, though they don't sell Non-Iron which sort of makes it a wash (no pun intended). Overall very well made, only found one untrimmed thread on the shoulder which I promptly snipped. Aside from that, no loose ends or poor seams/stitching that I noticed.

The Poplin shirt was a good crisp broadcloth, did not have the bad "see-through" most cheap white shirts do (even though it was pulled taut across my frame).
    The Oxford was soft and substantial fabric, felt better than my J Crew oxford. Good looking collar, too. I am not as gung-ho on the collar roll that I will wax poetic about it (cough [MENTION=13455]Billox[/MENTION] cough), but it seemed to be pretty good.

Value
    I bought the 3 shirts at a bundle price of $40 CAD per shirt, which comes to about $32 USD per shirt- a total of about $100 for 3 shirts. For makers like Charles Tyrwhitt, this is tends to be considered a solid deal.

For Spier & Mackay, I think it is an excellent value. This is an excellent fit with an enormous variety of fabrics and patterns (which are updated with some regularity).

Customer Service
    So obviously I wanted to exchange the Slim fits for Contemporary. How's that process you ask? Not bad. I emailed their Customer Service late last night and received a reply with instructions this morning. They went ahead and pulled the shirts I ordered in Contemporary fit and set them aside. They do not send return labels, as they ship out of Canada. Instead I will have to send the 2 shirts back via USPS labeled as Exchanges and with the RA# they sent me. They will then give me a $15 CAD (about $12 USD) in-store credit. Fair enough, as I expect to be placing another order at some point. I might try out their pants as well... although I will probably just stick with the Contemporary fit next time!

If anyone requests, I can post pics or answer any questions you have about my order (though hurry, as I will be shipping back the Slim shirts on Monday!).

Think you could post photos of the shirts that aren't site product photos?

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
      Think you could post photos of the shirts that aren't site product photos?
      Sure! I can only take selfie pics of the blue & tan check right now (at work). I could take some pics of the other two when I get home (though I will not be in them- you are welcome).

Comment

Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post
        Sure! I can only take selfie pics of the blue & tan check right now (at work). I could take some pics of the other two when I get home (though I will not be in them- you are welcome).
        That'd be awesome. I've been wanting to see some real-life photos of their shirts before I decide to pull the trigger. Probably going to go their MTM route, though.

Comment

Here's a few I snapped during lunch break...

Comment

Any other brands you can compare the fit to would be great. I am thinking my next round of shirts will come from S&M because the cost is great and their collars are something like 3.25" or 3.5".

Comment

[MENTION=12707]DapperTexan[/MENTION] Nice! That's a good looking shirt. And the fit looks spot on for you.

Comment

The contemporary fit is slightly roomier than the old CT ESF and close to the BB ESF in the waist but slight more room in the chest and forearms. The slim is very slim. Much to slim for my liking. Their Contemporary Fit shirts would be the only shirts I would buy at the price point offered, but the sleeves are just a touch too short for me.

I have recently done their MTM and received my first shirt. I am happy with the fit and am looking forward to getting the other two I ordered. The only problem is they do not offer a fit guarantee like a lot of MTM places do. I took the risk and it worked out. With the $20 CAD off multi buy deals they have I may just do S&M for all of my shirts in the future. Although their fabric selection isn't terrific at this point. I would imagine they would offer some more fabrics in the future though.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                  Any other brands you can compare the fit to would be great. I am thinking my next round of shirts will come from S&M because the cost is great and their collars are something like 3.25" or 3.5".
                  Well for CT I don't have a true apples to apples comparison. Compared to CT's ESF shirts (ones I purchased last year- not the "new" ones) at size 16" in the neck, these are slightly more fitted down the waist and forearms. Also, I should note these have gauntlet buttons along the forearms, whereas CT does not. I like the buttons. CT's shirts fit in the chest fine for me, but they tend to billow a bit at the bottom and I don't have that problem with the S&M shirt.

I own various assortments of department store brands "slim" fit- Hilfiger (not terrible, but not slim enough), Michael Kors (pretty good for the price), Kenneth Cole (nope), CK (nope), and Van Heusen (nope)... They have all been hit and miss in various areas, suffice to say none check all the boxes that the Spier & Mackay shirt has.

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
                  [MENTION=12707]DapperTexan[/MENTION] Nice! That's a good looking shirt. And the fit looks spot on for you.
                  Thank you. I was actually complimented by a stranger in the elevator who said it was "sharp" and accused me of letting my wife shop for me. Usually a good sign.

Comment

Well for CT I don't have a true apples to apples comparison. Compared to CT's ESF shirts (ones I purchased last year- not the "new" ones) at size 16" in the neck, these are slightly more fitted down the waist and forearms. Also, I should note these have gauntlet buttons along the forearms, whereas CT does not. I like the buttons. CT's shirts fit in the chest fine for me, but they tend to billow a bit at the bottom and I don't have that problem with the S&M shirt. .
                    Interesting. I found the opposite to be true. Maybe Spier and Mackay changed their fit slightly. I got mine back in August.

Comment

Decided to give them a try after some recommendations on this forum, and thought I would share my experience.
                      Thanks for the review! Glad you are happy with the contemporary. I personally wear the contemporary and can only imagine getting into the slim. I carry around extra winter weight all year round That said, the slim works incredibly well for a lot of folks. It outsells the contemporary nearly 2:1, even with many coming in store to try on in person. Best bet is to refer to the size chart and compare the measurements to something similar and decide from there. If you need further help, Customer Service can always help.

Re: OCBD collar roll. We were inspired by the roll found on the Kamakura shirts and pretty much followed that (They were in turn inspired by BB of the 1960's). Points are 3.5". Give it a couple of washes to let it settle itself. The butterfly used in packing doesn't allow it to sit properly and sort of temporarily reshapes it. As there is no interlining in the leaf, its very soft and takes shape naturally. I'm trying to figure out the best means to pack these moving forward.

As for the quality, I have yet to find another shirt at this price point (or even up to $100) that has a proper bias split yoke, pattern matching, natural shell buttons, Wendler Swiss interlining or single needle stitching. CT does not. I don't think even Ledbury has a split yoke or pattern matching. Our OTR shirts are the same quality as our custom shirts. No compromise.

We stay away from Non-Iron for the moment because of the chemical process associated with them. There are a couple of new physical processes coming on to the market that have some promise and we are watching those closely. That said, most of the fabrics we use are woven from a very long staple of Egyptian Cotton that has a very high twist, which keeps the shirts relatively fresh looking throughout the day. Mind you, they will wrinkle slightly if any, but not those unsightly kind of wrinkles associated with cheaper quality cottons.

Cheers!
                      Rick

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
                        The only problem is they do not offer a fit guarantee like a lot of MTM places do. I took the risk and it worked out. With the $20 CAD off multi buy deals they have I may just do S&M for all of my shirts in the future. Although their fabric selection isn't terrific at this point. I would imagine they would offer some more fabrics in the future though.
                        Glad your MTM shirt worked out for you. The reason we do not offer a "fit guarantee" is because we do not build the risk into our pricing as other makers inherently do. For example, our MTM shirts are as little as $59 CAD (approx. $48 USD - UNDER $50 mind you) Shirts from Ratio, Proper Cloth and even Luxire (Luxire has the advantage of operating directly out of India, their overhead and operational costs are much less) are much more expensive and require you to ship the shirt back to them on your dime. For first time, first shirt customers we offer a remake at 50% the cost paid. So a remake would be $29.5 CAD or approx $24 USD, which is still less than some competitors. We think this is a fair approach.

As for fabrics, we have a whole bunch on the way to us and new stuff will go up this week. If you are looking for anything specific, pls email us and we'll do our best to find it.

Cheers,
                        Rick

Comment

Originally posted by SpierMackay View Post
                          As for fabrics, we have a whole bunch on the way to us and new stuff will go up this week. If you are looking for anything specific, pls email us and we'll do our best to find it.
                          Looking forward to it. Like I said with your prices and quality it will be difficult to convince me to buy from anywhere else. I have an university stripe OCBD and a blue pencil check poplin on the way. I'm going to wear the OCBD a few times and if it works out for me as I expect, I'll be ordering a few more. Would love to see a burgundy university stripe .

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
                            Looking forward to it. Like I said with your prices and quality it will be difficult to convince me to buy from anywhere else. I have an university stripe OCBD and a blue pencil check poplin on the way. I'm going to wear the OCBD a few times and if it works out for me as I expect, I'll be ordering a few more. Would love to see a burgundy university stripe .
                            Tada!
                            http://www.spierandmackay.com/search...chtext=CNS-822

Comment

Originally posted by SpierMackay View Post
                              Haha. Boom! Nice. I'll add that to my next order

Comment

Working...
                              X