Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Wear Brown Shoes with Black Pants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mixto
    replied

@rnj: haha, that would have been a nice comeback (...and a lost volunteering opportunity).

Leave a comment:

• maccoinnich
    replied

And on that subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx8-mysJG2s

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

"I think she's mistaking dark gray or dark navy for black."

You can even see this phenomenon in action here as well, with many people describing the J.Crew Factory Thompson suit as "black" or "almost black". In fact, it's a very standard dark charcoal.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Black clothing is great evening wear. The folks who wear black the most are servers in restaurants, wedding photographers/videographers, and funeral directors. Since black is slimming, you'll also find women wearing lots and lots of black. Just look around - even at a picnic on a hot, sunny day, probably half the women will be wearing black in some form.

Leave a comment:

• JT10000
    replied

I think a lot of people think black pants are more common than they are. I'm in a discussion on a non-style-related website that's about clothes for interviews, and one person said that black is a very common suit color in Washington DC. I think she's mistaking dark gray or dark navy for black.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Ha exactly.

Leave a comment:

• runners n jeans
    replied

I was asked to wear black pants once when I volunteered for an event, and when I said that I didn't have any black pants, they said, "You don't have black pants? Don't you ever dress nicely?"

And to that I thought, "Yes I dress nicely—that's exactly why I don't have an black pants."

Leave a comment:

• JT10000
    replied

If you're already one of the more thoughtful dressers in your school, and you think they look OK, don't worry about it - especially with the gown. You'll look sharp!

But you might want to start looking for more versatile pants (navy or gray probably) anyway since you'll find them useful in the future.

Leave a comment:

• hdm
    replied

Sorry to bring this topic up again, since I suppose it's been discussed a lot already in various places.

Here's my situation: I'm getting close to graduation ceremonies(high school - I know most people here are a ways past that) and I'm trying to figure out what to wear. I didn't get into style until about 1 1/2 years ago and have a very limited budget (no job, and family has pretty much no interest in style), so I have very little to work with. As a result, the one pair of dress pants I have now are black, and the only remotely dressy shoes are brown. I tried them on earlier and IMO the colors didn't look that bad together for all the hate they seem to get. Given that I'll also be wearing a grad gown over it, should I just deal with it for one day? Or is it bad enough to be worth looking for some new navy pants?

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Heh, I have a great pair of black Spyder coveralls with knee pads for slalom.

I teased my wife for buying black pants because it's domain is really in the service sector with restaurants, photographers, etc. Especially of there's a satin sheen to it. I would like a pair at some point, but I could just use my black suit pants too. Still, lots of other colors to snap up before that.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

(Actually, I lied. I own some black ski pants. B-) )

Leave a comment:

• trash
    replied

@runner-guy they'd go great with jeans, and lighter colored chinos. Also a great shoe to wear sockless with shorts in the summer.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Yeah, black is very hard to work with in any piece. Of those two colors I prefer the dark brown suede for the shoes. The other is too yellow in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

I don't even own any black pants. To me, they seem fairly un-versatile.

Leave a comment:

• runner-guy
    replied

I actually prefer the dirty buck. It's a good deal. I'm wondering how the dirty buck would go with jeans and chinos?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X