Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Wear Brown Shoes with Black Pants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I Wear Brown Shoes with Black Pants?

I've heard mixed answers to that one. And when I say brown, I mean a deep brown.

On that note, which of the colors for the following shoe is more versatile?

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...tfordSuedeShoe

Yes, but general consensus among men who hang out at places like Dappered is that it doesn't look right. It's definitely not traditional for business dress, but if you were going to, say, a punk bar you could probably make it work. So, depends on how much you care about conventions and where you're going to be. As for those shoes, I like both colors, but slightly lean towards the "dirty buck" color (but not with black pants).

Comment

I personally would never do it...doesn't look good to me. Of the two shoe colors, I prefer the Dark Brown.

Comment

Hmmm. Dark indigo denim works fine with brown shoes to me, but going all the way black with brown shoes is harder to see working...

Comment

Do you already have black shoes? Have a lot of black pants?

I'm wondering if you're trying to go with a dark brown shoe that looks black from a distance. Then it seems like a compromise. Or if you're thinking of a light brown to give contrast with black pants and jazz up the look. Kind of unique, but it could be fun.

Comment

I actually prefer the dirty buck. It's a good deal. I'm wondering how the dirty buck would go with jeans and chinos?

Comment

I don't even own any black pants. To me, they seem fairly un-versatile.

Ben

Comment

Yeah, black is very hard to work with in any piece. Of those two colors I prefer the dark brown suede for the shoes. The other is too yellow in my opinion.

Comment

@runner-guy they'd go great with jeans, and lighter colored chinos. Also a great shoe to wear sockless with shorts in the summer.

Comment

(Actually, I lied. I own some black ski pants. B-) )

Ben

Comment

Heh, I have a great pair of black Spyder coveralls with knee pads for slalom.

I teased my wife for buying black pants because it's domain is really in the service sector with restaurants, photographers, etc. Especially of there's a satin sheen to it. I would like a pair at some point, but I could just use my black suit pants too. Still, lots of other colors to snap up before that.

Comment

Sorry to bring this topic up again, since I suppose it's been discussed a lot already in various places.

Here's my situation: I'm getting close to graduation ceremonies(high school - I know most people here are a ways past that) and I'm trying to figure out what to wear. I didn't get into style until about 1 1/2 years ago and have a very limited budget (no job, and family has pretty much no interest in style), so I have very little to work with. As a result, the one pair of dress pants I have now are black, and the only remotely dressy shoes are brown. I tried them on earlier and IMO the colors didn't look that bad together for all the hate they seem to get. Given that I'll also be wearing a grad gown over it, should I just deal with it for one day? Or is it bad enough to be worth looking for some new navy pants?

Comment

If you're already one of the more thoughtful dressers in your school, and you think they look OK, don't worry about it - especially with the gown. You'll look sharp!

But you might want to start looking for more versatile pants (navy or gray probably) anyway since you'll find them useful in the future.

Comment

I was asked to wear black pants once when I volunteered for an event, and when I said that I didn't have any black pants, they said, "You don't have black pants? Don't you ever dress nicely?"

And to that I thought, "Yes I dress nicely—that's exactly why I don't have an black pants."

Comment

Ha exactly.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Working...
                              X