Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sunday Challenge-4/25/15: Haters Gonna Hate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sunday Challenge-4/25/15: Haters Gonna Hate!

The theme this week is fairly broad. We've had a fair number of discussions here on the Threads regarding preferences, peeves, and rules. There are often strong differences of opinion, things sometimes get heated and one group claims X can work while the other claims X violates everything right and good about menswear, masculinity, and human civilization in general. So, the challenge this week is to rebel, throw caution to the wind, put your middle finger up and break whatever rules you want and/or piss off anyone you've been dying to piss off.

Whether you break a well-established rule or simply jam a thumb in someone's eye by wearing something that annoys them, put on that polo/blazer outfit, throw on that fedora, don your pleated pants, your short-sleeved dress shirt, your clip on bow tie, and/or your oxfords with jeans or bluchers with a suit and let the haters hate. Just make it look good and let us know what rule or peeve you're stomping on (no need to actually call anyone out, but as long as you keep it good-natured, I certainly won't object).

Standard boilerplate:

- Challenge proposed on Tuesday or [not so] early Wednesday
    - Rules solidified throughout the week
    - On Sunday or before, all participants dress according to challenge guidelines
    - Entries recorded Sunday night, voting begins
    - Winner declared on Tuesday evening
    - Winner is responsible for next week's theme
    JDI
    32.00%
    LesserBlackDog
    28.00%
    Shomas
    24.00%
    Jamie
    8.00%
    Creature
    8.00%

Fantastic idea!

If my trial fit luxire chinos turn out decent (due in on Thursday!), I'm gonna put together a pleated (just a single though, come on), higher rise pants with a polo and blazer ( or is that a sport coat?) combo.

Lots of parenthesis. Sorry.

Comment

A quick Google search of socks and sandals, the proverbial style rule, and this gem was the first hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkie_415 View Post

A quick Google search of socks and sandals, the proverbial style rule, and this gem was the first hit.
        While it lacks sartorial chops, outstanding work in guarding against Lyme disease.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittiwake30 View Post
          While it lacks sartorial chops, outstanding work in guarding against Lyme disease.
          en contre, you seem to underestimate the climbing ability of the deer tick.

Comment

Black and brown can go together....and who says you have to match shoes and watch band....

Comment

Looks great [MENTION=13537]JDI[/MENTION]
              Matt Dalton

Comment

Black and brown! I hadn't even thought of that. Nice one!

Comment

Test running this outfit for a western-themed charity ball I'm attending in May. People either love or hate my western-style belt buckle so I figured that combined with the bolo tie ought to do the trick....

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                    Test running this outfit for a western-themed charity ball I'm attending in May. People either love or hate my western-style belt buckle so I figured that combined with the bolo tie ought to do the trick....
                    Get some cowboy boots. Justin has them for $50 for some cheapos.

Comment

It's actually the dot-print shirt that jars me in this look, but maybe that's because I have a lot of family in western Colorado. Everything you're wearing here could have been worn by any of my male relatives in the last... century, maybe? Everything, that is, except the dot-print shirt.* And true to the spirit of the challenge, I find myself thinking, "Oh man, I hate the idea of that shirt in this outfit. Why can't I hate the execution?" Well done.

*Okay, the balmorals would probably be, as suggested by [MENTION=13581]Eric Leija[/MENTION], cowboy boots. But the shoes don't contrast with the style, IMO, so much as keep the look out of the caricature realm.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Leija View Post
                        Get some cowboy boots. Justin has them for $50 for some cheapos.
                        Originally posted by AngusM View Post
                        *Okay, the balmorals would probably be, as suggested by [MENTION=13581]Eric Leija[/MENTION], cowboy boots. But the shoes don't contrast with the style, IMO, so much as keep the look out of the caricature realm.
                        Angus has got the gist of what I'm going for... I'm trying to do an outfit that suggests traditional western wear, without simply wearing a costume. So for example, I am considering wearing this shirt because the white buttons on the mid-blue color reminds me of the mother of pearl snap buttons on a real "western" shirt.

Another option I'm considering is wearing this shirt with a navy blazer, with the same jeans or possibly with a distressed pair (another potentially hate-inducing item/combo). Same tie, shoes, and buckle.
                        Ben

Comment

Another option I'm considering is wearing this shirt with a navy blazer, with the same jeans or possibly with a distressed pair (another potentially hate-inducing item/combo). Same tie, shoes, and buckle.
                          FWIW, I prefer the current outfit. To me, the alternative shirt choice isn't much of a contrast, and the dot-print shirt wouldn't be as convincingly/noticeably urbane without the dark wash jeans.

Comment

Stellar work so far. My entry:

Jacket: Bonobos
                            Shirt: Kamakura
                            Jeans: Uniqlo
                            Tie: Rooster
                            Boots: Alden
                            Pocket square: J Crew Factory
                            Tie bar: The Tie Bar

How this fits is mostly that it's the idea of a sport-coat-on-top-jeans-on-the-bottom business mullet that people often hate. Also, there's no shortage of grumbling to be heard about ties with button-down collars, especially ocbd's. Tweed in the spring also violates some norms, if not actual rules (but it's kinda chilly today). I don't know if I'm doing anything here that rises to the level of a bolo tie, but it's what I've got.

Let's see some more entries!

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                              Stellar work so far. My entry:

Jacket: Bonobos
                              Shirt: Kamakura
                              Jeans: Uniqlo
                              Tie: Rooster
                              Boots: Alden
                              Pocket square: J Crew Factory
                              Tie bar: The Tie Bar

How this fits is mostly that it's the idea of a sport-coat-on-top-jeans-on-the-bottom business mullet that people often hate. Also, there's no shortage of grumbling to be heard about ties with button-down collars, especially ocbd's. Tweed in the spring also violates some norms, if not actual rules (but it's kinda chilly today). I don't know if I'm doing anything here that rises to the level of a bolo tie, but it's what I've got.

Let's see some more entries!
                              Don't forget jeans and a tie. I really like it though!

Comment

Working...
                              X