Virgin Bar Attire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin Bar Attire

Hey, guys I'm about to turn 21 in a couple of weeks. Of course I plan on hitting up some bars (No sport bars). So tell me what is proper casual bar attire?

What kind of an area do you live in? Urban area with a couple dance clubs? Rural area with local watering holes?

Here are some good thoughts: http://www.effortlessgent.com/there-is-no-going-out-shirt-how-to-dress-like-a-real-man-after-hours/

I just think a white button down oxford looks booooring for going out, but for heavens sake, don't get something sparkly.

Comment

It depends on the kind of bars you'll be going to. I'd stick with jeans, brown lace-ups, and a more casual shirt, tucked in and sleeves rolled up. Toss on a vest/waistcoat or casual blazer if you want to be slightly dressier.

For the love of God, don't wear the "going out" shirt.

Ben

Comment

I live in Louisville, Kentucky. Which just had a great right up in GQ as the Manliest town in America. I plan on hitting Bardstown road which is a Vintagey cool kids home owned type area if you catch my drift.

Comment

For manly...I would go with the top two flannel shirts with dark denim, roll up the sleeves like BenR says, shoes he suggests, and have a blast.

Comment

When I say top two, I mean in the image I shared. And when I say that, I mean wear both shirts at the same time. ;-)

The bottom pattern is a little too preppy for what you're describing. Certainly the tie is WAY too preppy. =P

Comment

Keep it extremely simple: dark jeans, OCBD ("vintagey cool" indicates plaid to me, which I'm sure there will be plenty of as there always is) and some sort of casual jacket (military or even a SC) if the weather merits it. And probably some casual boots like Dessert Boots.

Comment

Those patterns are solid choices. Agreed on the whole "no tie" thing and denim pants. If you don't own (or don't like) flannel, work shirts are an option. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding an example of a heavier one online since most places have rolled out their spring selections.

Also, it looks like it's still cold where you are and most bars don't have coat checks so you'll have to hold onto whatever you walk in with. The less you bring in, the less you have to keep track of because it's highly likely that the place will be too hot to leave it on. If you can brave the cold while making it across the parking lot, it could save you the hassle once you get inside. Of course, some bars are busier than others, and how hot it gets will depend on how packed it is and how much people are moving around.

And I guess the other question is... What pieces do you already have and how much do you have available to spend to fill in the gaps?

Comment

If you're going the sport coat route, make it corduroy or something similarly rugged, and keep the jeans with it.

Comment

Wear anything you can wipe vomit off of easily.

Comment

khakis, brown casual boots, OCBD, and jean jacket would work too

Comment

I agree with everyone else. Assuming you're going somewhere that people your age tend to frequent, I would suggest to keep it casual. Dark jeans, brown shoes and a casual button up.

Comment

Things guys for all the tips. I have a lot of plaids. Even a lot of great vintage ones. I don't have a desk job so most of my wardrobe is a more rugged street look. So I have everything you guys suggested thanks!

Comment

I would say go with an untucked shirt for a college age bar (if the shirt isn't really long). Having a casual shirt tucked into jeans looks a little stiff, in my opinion.

Comment

Ah, Bardstown Road. Now that is a bar scene. Anything above a t-shirt or below a suit will work fine there and these gentleman have offered some fine examples. Most importantly, don't drink anything from Tennessee and pace yourself if you aren't used to a 4:30am last call.

Comment

Working...
                              X