Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GUSTIN JEANS FIT/Quality

Hey all -

Looking for a new pair of jeans. I've sworn by my Levi's 511 commuter in Indigo for years but I'm considering a dive into the world of selvedge since they're about the same price without sale (in the $80s).

Can anyone talk about their experience with Gustin and how does it fit compared to a Levi's 511 commuter? I'm 6'2 185lb usually a 32x32 in most fits (Bonobos, SuitSupply, Gant, Levis etc), would that sizing work?
    Best,
    Paul

You will need to size up since they don't use vanity sizing. The one thing I can tell you is that their sizing is very inconsistent, in my experience, and the return policy was not great (the customer service was very good and they try to exchange product as best they can, but they're limited in what they can do), which is why I don't buy from them anymore. I thought the quality was good though. I haven't purchased from them in over a year, so I don't know if their product/process has changed.

Comment

I don't know. I ordered a pair of their chinos in November for January delivery and I'm still waiting. Walk into any Nordstrom Rack and you'll find a wide selection of high-end jeans for $100 that you can try on and leave the store with.

Comment

Originally posted by Boys Husky View Post
        You will need to size up since they don't use vanity sizing. The one thing I can tell you is that their sizing is very inconsistent, in my experience, and the return policy was not great (the customer service was very good and they try to exchange product as best they can, but they're limited in what they can do), which is why I don't buy from them anymore. I thought the quality was good though. I haven't purchased from them in over a year, so I don't know if their product/process has changed.
        Ah Awesome, good to keep in mind. Do you guys recommend any other jeans as well?
        Best,
        Paul

Comment

The idea behind Gustin is awesome. The execution lacks. I ordered a shirt in August of last year, only for it to arrive in October and be way off in sizing. I had to pay to return the shirt plus lost out on the shipping to me ($16 total), and got a store credit. I backed another shirt in November and it arrived in February. I washed it once and because the chambray was so thick one of the seams popped. This time they gave me a store credit for the shirt and shipping. Now I am waiting for the 1968s to come back in stock and I will try their denim. Overall though, by the time I get an item it will have been nearly a year (or more) since I started this process. Plus, the sizing is weird. The shirts scoop extremely high on the sides so the front covers your zipper and the sides don't even cover your belt. And the sleeves are insanely long (small has 35" sleeves). Also, my second shirt is definitely smaller in the waist and mid-section than their sizing guide says it should be.

Customer service is really nice though and does their best to work with you, but because of their business model things can be a bit frustrating.

Like I said, I'm going to try their denim, but I'm probably done with Gustin until I buy one of their duffels. (I don't really need another bag right now.)

Comment

Thanks for the comprehensive review!
            Best,
            Paul

Comment

I love their denim but as they say no vanity sizing. I like they use half sizes which allows me to go for it. The main issue I have is that the rise is pretty low and I am tall so I am not sure if I will still go for them in the future. But thier fabric is the best I have found so that keeps me coming back.

Comment

I didn't love the cut in the pair I ended up ordering. My limited ability to find a good tailor to hem them + my lack of desire to cuff my jeans didn't help. Quality of fabric was great and construction looked good, but for me even the tailored/slim ones weren't tapered enough beneath the knee and the rise felt too big. For reference, I like jcrew 770 (or 484 on chinos) so I do prefer a slimmer cut.

Comment

I have not found the rise to be low. It seems higher than my 514s. They're more like my old 501s. This isn't "high rise" but I would not say it's low. This is their "regular" fit.

My Classic 16s have stretched from 32 to almost 35 inches in the waist.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekH View Post
                    I didn't love the cut in the pair I ended up ordering. My limited ability to find a good tailor to hem them + my lack of desire to cuff my jeans didn't help. Quality of fabric was great and construction looked good, but for me even the tailored/slim ones weren't tapered enough beneath the knee and the rise felt too big. For reference, I like jcrew 770 (or 484 on chinos) so I do prefer a slimmer cut.
                    I have a store credit and want to try their denim, but that is exactly what worries me. Looking at their sizing, the slim definitely doesn't taper enough below the knee and the skinny is far too tight in the thigh.
                    Plus, with needing a 29" length I'm going to have to cuff a ton or see a tailor, and finding a tailor that can chain stitch will be a pain.

Maybe I should just use my credit on a duffel...

Comment

Working...
                    X