Tie Bar ties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tie Bar ties

I was looking to pick up a few new ties from The Tie Bar. Specifically, I was looking at knit ties. The few that I liked come in at 2". Just how skinny is that? Most of my ties are about 2.5-2.75" and I'm worried about these being just too thin. Anyone have them? Thoughts?

your instincts are correct, i always get at least 2.5 for knit ties. I have one 2" and it's too skinny. I'm a 38R so I'm not a huge guy either

Comment

FWIW, I had a 2" silk knit tie, and it was too skinny for me so I returned it. But then again, I don't think I have the body type to be pulling off skinny ties in the first place.

My wife didn't like the way it looked on me, either.

Comment

I think the reign (of terror) of skinny ties and skinny lapels is almost over anyway

Comment

Contacted the Tie Bar and they informed me that they will have 2.75" ties back in stock next week so that's a huge plus. I know I can't pull of skinny ties.

Comment

I wear thinner ties, but that tends to be 2.25-2.5. 2 is pretty thin. I like somewhat thinner lapels, though. I just hope we don't go back to the 70s massive lapels and 4 foot wide ties.

Comment

Important to keep in mind that knit ties are uniform width whereas regular ties gradually spread out to their widest point and then cut in to form the bottom triangle. A 2" skinny knit tie is very different than a 2" inch regular tie since the regular tie starts much skinnier at the top.

In other words, The Tie Bar's skinny knit ties are a half inch thinner than their regular ties for a very good reason.

Comment

Some knit ties are shaped like regular ties as well

Comment

Really? Never seen 'em to be honest. I'm wearing a Tie Bar skinny knit right now and it's uniform width.

Comment

I think it depends on your build/frame. I have a few knit 2" ties, not from the tie bar but still. I'm 5'10" 155lbs and I think that they go well with everything else i wear. Thinner lapels, collars, slimmer pants and shirting, etc. I don't go over 2.75", it tends to just look weird on me.

Edit: Good point Tomas. If I remember correctly, I tend to get the same size knot on a 2" knit that I do on a 2.5" normal shaped tie.

Comment

@TomasR I bought this one on eBay and it's pretty neat:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180802279730...84.m1497.l2649

Comment

Timely topic, as I just received an order of 8 ties from thetiebar this afternoon. The one on the far left is a 2 inch silk knit. It is skinnier than I prefer, but I tried it on and the knot is an okay size and it doesn't look too bad. I'm thinking I might not even return it. If they had it in 2.5" or 2.75" that would be preferable though -- they just didn't have this style in that size. Not sure if this is going to work but will try to post the pic.

Comment

Really great selection there!

Comment

I'm not a big guy. 5'9", 145 lbs, most of which is in my thunder thighs and ghetto booty. I wear a 36R jacket. Slim ties are the best width for me, but even my slimmest ties are about 2.5" wide. I think anything slimmer is going to look way too trendy on most people, especially if you're not already a pretty slim guy to begin with.

[Edit] Hmm, forget that. Didn't notice the bit about them being knit ties.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                            X