What are with the online stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are with the online stores?

It would seem the typical life cycle for goods in a store or on an online store are list at full price, if it doesnt sell the run a sale. If they still arent gone put them in clearance. If they STILL aren't gone, put them on final fire sale.

However, I've noticed weird things as of late. I was watching some shoes at Nordstrom.com, as of yesterday they had every single size left and as of this morning the item is shown as "unavailable at this time". I ordered some pants from j.crew that are on final sale...indicating they only have a few left and are trying to clear them as quickly as possible, but once I ordered it says they are backlisted and won't ship til APRIL?! huh?

Anyone have anymore insight into the methods of these retailers? Seems odd to pull a product when you have plenty of stock left instead of putting it on sale. Also seems weird to "final sale" items that you have to order more of because you are backlisted.

What gives?

My guess on the back-ordered stuff is that they are expecting a final shipment, but have decided to start clearing out before the final shipment arrives. Is this winter merchandise? They probably want to make room for spring.

Comment

@Jordan - I've experienced similar problems online. J.Crew Factory especially can be weird. I tried getting a polo shirt on sale from them and it was backordered for like 2 months, which I thought was ridiculous.

Comment

It was actually a pair of cotton/linen blend slate (white) pants. Definitely a spring item. Sucks cause I was hoping to have them before I went to the beach in March.

Comment

Link? I could use a pair, and I can afford to wait if the price is right. :-)

Comment

My guess on the back ordering is that there is a SNAFU somewhere in the website programming.

Comment

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_factory_category/allnew/PRDOVR~69541/99102636938/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~~~205+16+4294966726~15~ ~~~~~~/69541.jsp

They aren't rock bottom pricing yet but I was trying to get some in before I go to the beach in two weeks and couldn't wait for a sale. :-/

Comment

I'll keep my eye on 'em and see if I can stack a sale code when it comes around.

As for the backorder, my guess is still that it's a business decision. Maybe they decided they're pulling the line early or something. The world will probably never know.

Comment

It's a poor business practice to tell you after the fact that an item is not in stock and is actually back ordered.

Comment

Yeah it is, but I imagine you can cancel your order if you really want to. However, sometimes it's just difficult to reconcile an e-commerce database with an inventory system in real time so I do understand the mix-ups.

Comment

Working...
                    X