Shoe stretching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoe stretching

I recently had a fairly successful experience with shoe stretching, so I thought I would share my experience and see if people had heard of having it done or if they had tried it themselves.

I got a pair of vintage Florsheim Royal Imperial longwings in cognac from a thrift store for $3. They are fairly old (v-cleat and all that, but not sure what decade). Virtually no wear. Effectively a vintage version of these: http://www.florsheim.com/shop/style/17109-03.html

They were WAY too tight in the width, but the length was ok. They were so tight I could literally barely get them on my feet. I decided to take a gamble on it since I had heard shoe stores can stretch leather and I really liked them. I took them to a shoe repair shop in town, where I was charged $14 for stretching and told to pick them up a week later.

I am pretty satisfied with the results. It might pay off to be specific about what you want stretched, since the heel is a little roomy now. They are wearable now, though they are still tighter than I would like. They aren't terribly comfortable, but that might be because I am used to rubber soles. I can tell that the leather is a bit thinner now (they were rock-solid before the stretching).

It was less than a home-run for me (note: they had to be stretched A LOT), but I think this is a service worth keeping in mind on this forum of people who use ebay or thrift stores for shoes. When all was said and done, I got a great pair of vintage longwings for $17, which were probably left sitting on the shelf because they were too tight for other people. The shoe repair guy said that high quality leather, such as my shoes, can be stretched more than bad leather.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to try stretching bonded leather!

That's great to hear. Plus, the more you wear them, the better they'll conform to your feet. I was going to get my AE Dalton boots stretched, but just wearing them has done the trick. In your case, it didn't seem like that was even an option.

Comment

Yea, they already feel better than when I first got them back from the shoe repair shop and I've only worn them for a couple half-days.

Comment

Working...
      X