Tailoring Jeans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailoring Jeans

I'm new to tailoring (by new I mean I'm a tailor virgin) and I'm wondering if tailors can alter jeans. I'm thinking about going to a tailor to see if my jean legs can be slimmed, but I'd rather not make an ass of myself. What do you think?

I had it done a long time ago. Something to bear in mind: most jeans have distressing or uneven dyeing along the leg seams and this will go away. I never really thought the pairs I had done looked right afterwards, for this reason and others. They were very significant alterations jobs though, involving both the waist and legs. If you like the jeans now, based on my experience I wouldn't bother. YMMV. I'm actually going to try to get the waist/butt altered in a pair that is currently unwearable, but I'll be leaving the legs alone.

Comment

Had legs done, wearing them right now. Basically turned a pair of 501's into 514 fit. I like em. Did hit the bottom of the new cuff (shortened them, also) with an orbital sander do they didn't look so blue there.

Comment

With so many jeans options on the market and with the option to roll the cuff on a pair of jeans without it looking weird (actually, I think it looks good), I think it's pretty realistic to find jeans that fit the way you want, save for the length.

Still, I have a friend who buys (I think) Rock & Republic jeans unhemmed. Just seems like a lot of work for what I can find in the Levi outlet store for $30. But if OTR jeans just don't work, and you've tried 20 different styles, I won't argue with you.

Comment

Working...
        X