Allen Edmonds Factory Seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Edmonds Factory Seconds

So I have two pairs of AE shoes, the McTavish and the Strand. Both of these were purchased through the factory outlet sales over the phone. The McTavish had some seriously obvious flaws, including a wad of torn leather sewn in to the stitching of the sole of the shoe. It had the appearance of a very light brown dried up scraps of tobacco sewn right in to the considerably darker sole. Sure that pissed me off, but I managed to yank most of it out with a tweezer and make them look presentable, dabbing away at the last bits with a sharpie. Today, after wearing them a handful of times, I notice the stitching at the back of the heel is off center on one of the shoes... about 1/2" --- which is very noticeable when viewing the shoes side by side. It's one thing to call slight flaws "Seconds" but these are more suited to be called "Factory Irregulars." I've seen better construction on the 9.99 zips you can buy at any Sears. At least their flaws are consistent. Extremely disappointed that they would even stamp their name on these.

It would be nice if they could tell you exactly what flaws each pair of seconds has, but that's probably logistically difficult. The upper of the right pair of my MacNeil seconds is a bit crooked, which sucks, but is only noticeable if you look for it (and I only paid $100).

Have you asked AE about returning them? I think they take seconds back.

Comment

You two got it good as far as factory seconds luck. Look at the factory second I once received!

Comment

It appears that they define "Second" as anything resembling a shoe. They clearly aren't using any discernible level of discretion, probably just a large room of monkeys doing the grading.

Comment

Sorry to here troubles with AE seconds. I have 4 seconds and each is hard to tell why it's a second. I did get mine from places like Zappos and Nordstrom when they were on sale. Maybe they do better quality checks? Luckily a Factory outlet store opened up in Charleston, SC and I frequent there and check on what's available. Could be an option if you have one anywhere within driving range.

Comment

I ordered a pair of Daltons and they were in flawless condition. I tried to find the flaw that made them seconds but can only speculate as they look very good to me. Got an awesome price at $149.

Comment

I had a similar experience as mystix with the Daltons when they were $149. I guess seconds are hit or miss. Based on my experience with AE, I can tell you that you can call customer service and they will send you a pre-paid UPS label so you can return those shoes without incurring a shipping charge.

Comment

mystix - That was my Dalton experience too. I went to the AE store near me to look at a pair of shoes for JessyDiamond on this site, and I sent him pictures of the flaws. He decided it wasn't worth the discount. To each their own. Now, as a parent, I really don't sweat the small stuff any more! But if an imperfection is going to eat at you as you wear it, it's not worth it.

Comment

This is just my opinion, but the justification for investing in quality shoes is their quality and not their look. Sure, at that price point you can get lovely styling, but less expensive brands are getting better and better at mimicking high-end designs as well as employing all sorts of chemical trickery to feign the appearance of quality leathers. When you pay a few hundred dollars for shoes, you're paying for peerless construction and materials.

I've been tempted by AE factory seconds, who wouldn't be tempted by $150 Daltons? However, it's just not worth the gamble. Even if you get a pair that have no visible defects, most of what makes a shoe last is not visible unless you literally deconstruct the shoe. I'd probably be more concerned by non-visible defects than visible ones since it might mean that all the super-labor intensive stitching and leather treatment that makes an AE shoe last is not up to snuff.

Comment

@TomasR - AE factory seconds only have cosmetic flaws, not construction flaws.

Comment

How does one go about getting these? I have no AE stores around where I live and would love to grab a pair of black shoes.

Comment

@pratyk - you can call any AE outlet and ask them for a list of shoes available in your size and they will ship to you for free. They all work of the same database, so it doesn't matter which one you call. Below is the info for their main outlet store:

Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank Outlet

201 East Seven Hills Road

Port Washington Wisconsin, 53074

262-284-7158

Comment

Thanks, Juan. Can this be done over email (as far as procuring a list of inventory is concerned?) or is calling in the only option?

Comment

@juan - I think the hole in my inner lining would be considered a construction flaw. Other people have had stiching faults as well that I would classify as construction flaws. But yes I know the seconds are advertised as "cosmetic" flaws only, but that is not always the case in my experience. However, some people do get good versions.

@pratyk - you can email [email protected] to ask for a list of shoes in your size.

Comment

Personally, saving $30 is not worth the gamble to me. I just wait for sales.

Comment

Working...
                              X