Let's talk Quality Summer Loafers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love loafers in the summer. I am also considering picking up a pair, and so I have a vested interest in productive discussion .

In my opinion loafers fall into two camps - penny and tassel. Yes, there are others like wholecuts, but really, 99% of the time you're buying one of those two. Furthermore, the leather falls into one of several camps (assuming quality), calfskin, chromexel, cordovan, or suede.

Alden also seems to be the undisputed leader in almost every category. We could sit here all day and link alden loafers - they've got 'em all, and they all look good. Rather, I think we should make it a challenge to leave alden out of this. However, it's an open discussion, so do what you will!

For calfskin pennies, these rancourts came out of left field to me, but I really like them. Definitely considering purchasing, especially considering their price relative to Alden, with arguably similar quality.

What do you all own... or WANT to own?

I really like the look of the AE Addisons
    Follow me on Instagram! @wilkstime

Comment

Originally posted by jwwilker View Post
      I agree - and while some may not like the color of that sole, it doesn't bother me. I'm a pretty recent convert to loafers, but I have the zeal of a convert. Unfortunately, all of mine are Aldens, so I have to violate the ground rules out of the gate. I have two pairs of LHS penny loafers, one color 8 shell cordovan and one snuff suede. They are ridiculously comfortable, though I haven't had much opportunity to wear the suede ones yet. I expect they will get a lot of use this spring and summer. I also have a pair of Alden tassel loafers. It's still a look I'm getting used to seeing on my feet, but I like it.

As a general matter, I find that I prefer the LHS style penny loafer (as in the AE Addisons) to the full strap style (like these:http://leathersoulhawaii.com/wp-cont...d1-684x336.jpg). I'm also not a huge fan of beefroll style penny loafers, though I could probably be swayed on that if I saw the right pair.

In addition, beyond what [MENTION=13462]nova[/MENTION] mentioned, there are also horsebit loafers, which I don't really like at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
        I agree - and while some may not like the color of that sole, it doesn't bother me. I'm a pretty recent convert to loafers, but I have the zeal of a convert. Unfortunately, all of mine are Aldens, so I have to violate the ground rules out of the gate. I have two pairs of LHS penny loafers, one color 8 shell cordovan and one snuff suede. They are ridiculously comfortable, though I haven't had much opportunity to wear the suede ones yet. I expect they will get a lot of use this spring and summer. I also have a pair of Alden tassel loafers. It's still a look I'm getting used to seeing on my feet, but I like it.

As a general matter, I find that I prefer the LHS style penny loafer (as in the AE Addisons) to the full strap style (like these:http://leathersoulhawaii.com/wp-cont...d1-684x336.jpg). I'm also not a huge fan of beefroll style penny loafers, though I could probably be swayed on that if I saw the right pair.

In addition, beyond what [MENTION=13462]nova[/MENTION] mentioned, there are also horsebit loafers, which I don't really like at all.
        Do you have any pictures of yourslef in the tassel loafers? I'm debating between those or the LHS in tan suede and just cannot make up my mind...

Comment

Picked these up two months ago and they are incredible:
          https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4337

Comment

Originally posted by geauxtigers View Post
            Do you have any pictures of yourslef in the tassel loafers? I'm debating between those or the LHS in tan suede and just cannot make up my mind...
            This is a pic from a Sunday Challenge or WIWT a few weeks back:

Comment

This is a pic from a Sunday Challenge or WIWT a few weeks back:
              Thanks! They look great! I used to be completely against them, but now I think I really want to try a pair.. It's funny how that happens.

Comment

Thank you. That's about how it went for me, too. Maybe it was just finding the right pair that didn't look too weird to my eyes.

I suppose the same thing could happen with horse bit loafers. I don't see it, but who knows?

Comment

I love the look, and have been coveting a pair of the Rancourt beefroll penny loafers. I think they look awesome.

Comment

Thank you. That's about how it went for me, too. Maybe it was just finding the right pair that didn't look too weird to my eyes.

I suppose the same thing could happen with horse bit loafers. I don't see it, but who knows?
                    I just imagine the conversation I would have if I wore them.

Other Person: So are you a pilgrim?
                    Me: Um, no, these are horsebit loafers, not buckle shoes
                    Other Person: What now?
                    Me: There are horsebits on my shoe.
                    Other Person: Shouldn't they be in the horse's mouth?
                    Me: Yes, yes they should.

Comment

I have been tempted on some AE Lake Shore Dr tassel loafers for $117 at the shoe bank. I have some Carmina loafers in navy that may get transitioned into regular casual wear. Something in a tan color would look great with some patina. If I had to pick one loafer currently and money wasn't an issue, Rancourt Pinch Penny Loafers in Green Cordovan.

Comment

I have 2 pair of Velasca loafers in brown calf and black calf. http://www.velasca.com/en/product/me...e-rilasaa.html . I have had them for 1.5 years and wear them at least once a week. I have been very pleased with them.
                        Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

Originally posted by theskillets View Post
                          I have 2 pair of Velasca loafers in brown calf and black calf. http://www.velasca.com/en/product/me...e-rilasaa.html . I have had them for 1.5 years and wear them at least once a week. I have been very pleased with them.
                          Do you own any other loafers?/would be able to compare their quality to other such as the AE loafers?

Also, for everyone out there, I can't help but feel that loafers are a warm-weather thing. Is that true or are loafers really a year round thing?
                          Size Guide: 38R Suiting, 29" waist, 30" inseam, 37" chest, 32" sleeve, 15.5" neck

Comment

Originally posted by jwwilker View Post
                            Damn. I kind of love/need those.

Comment

Originally posted by thegreenfrog View Post
                              Do you own any other loafers?/would be able to compare their quality to other such as the AE loafers?

Also, for everyone out there, I can't help but feel that loafers are a warm-weather thing. Is that true or are loafers really a year round thing?
                              I have had the AE Patriots and a pair of Meermin loafers too. Both of those are probably a little higher quality. They are goodyear welted and the Velascas are blake stitched so not quite as substantial. The Velascas are much more comfortable for me though. I also liked the Velasca silhouette better. The leather is not quite as thick as the AEs or Meermins either but for $165 dollars the Velascas are tough to beat. I have been VERY pleased with my purchase.
                              Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

Working...
                              X