Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evanparker
    replied
    I think it has something to do with living and growing up in new england, but I always thought the only thing that looked right in loafers was a beefroll loafer. For some reason I can't get around thinking everything else looks like ballet slippers.

I did the loafer shopping last week, and was going to get a AE Kenmore, because it's, by a large margin, the best priced, best quality shoe made in the traditional new england beefroll loafer vein.

Obviously you guys are talking quality, and therefore skipping the [nearly identical] bass weejun or sebago candidates, but i still ended up with one after finding an OK deal on a set of the LL Bean version of the Sebago one. The [corrected]leather quality obviously isn't as good as the [divine awesome] leather quality in the Allen Edmonds, but the construction really generally is done right. Even as the cut-rate option, it's hard to argue against.

mine look great, and all my friends now think i look WASPy as hell. mission accomplished. now where are my khaki shorts...

Leave a comment:

• cubist_zirconia
    replied
    Originally posted by DerekH View Post
    Anybody have the jack erwin ones? Been eyeballing those for awhile.
    I got them in the brown suede last summer and they ended up being my go-to pairfor the season.
    I'm really looking forward to when it finally warms up a little and I can break them back out.

Leave a comment:

• DerekH
    replied
    Anybody have the jack erwin ones? Been eyeballing those for awhile.

Leave a comment:

• Deke
    replied
    Originally posted by somaticmarker1 View Post
    I love this Navy Pair from Oak Street Bootmakers
    I have a pair of the dark brown ones, and they're awesome. The leather is nice and supple, and that contrasting natural sole...

They are definitely pricey though (hooray for generous christmas gift givers).

Leave a comment:

• AsianDapper
    replied
    Are driving shoes/mocs allowed here too?

I'm thinking of Tod's colorful driving shoes and of course I chose not to spend a bunch of dollars on those so I might buy a cheaper version from Aldo which is this:

Yes, in orange! Pretty nice to pair it with white shorts or chinos.

Leave a comment:

• DrewG
    replied
    I know some people don't like bit loafers but I do. I recently picked up these Allen Edmonds - http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/w...-1?style=69117 - in tan.

They're unlined and the leather is incredibly soft. I'm really enjoying them.

Leave a comment:

• drocpsu
    replied
    Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
    I have been tempted on some AE Lake Shore Dr tassel loafers for $117 at the shoe bank. I have some Carmina loafers in navy that may get transitioned into regular casual wear. Something in a tan color would look great with some patina. If I had to pick one loafer currently and money wasn't an issue, Rancourt Pinch Penny Loafers in Green Cordovan.

Those are nice. I would love a pair of these, but they are definitely an investment:

Leave a comment:

• Shade
    replied
    Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
    Those are great--too bad that model is apparently discontinued. Do you know what last they're made on?
    Yup, they are made on the 4 last.

Leave a comment:

• srlclark
    replied
    My only loafers are cheap: a pair of Stacy Adams tassel loafers and some Italian bar loafers. They're also both at least seven or eight years old, but are still in decent condition. One's a (reddish) medium brown, the other is black. I'll look into getting a better penny loafer at some point, but it's a little way down the priority list at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• facelessghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Shade View Post
    I have a pair of Dexter penny loafers, Bass Weejuns, Allen Edmonds Waldens, and just picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds Glasgows which I will be wearing this season
    Those are great--too bad that model is apparently discontinued. Do you know what last they're made on?

Leave a comment:

• wsupjs
    replied
    Originally posted by Shomas View Post
    Thank you. That's about how it went for me, too. Maybe it was just finding the right pair that didn't look too weird to my eyes.

I suppose the same thing could happen with horse bit loafers. I don't see it, but who knows?
    Are those the Ralph Lauren Marlow? I had a pair and loved the look, but the fit was completely off for my foot.

It's a shame, because I'm a huge fan of their wingtips and wanted the tassel loafer version to mix it up a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Shade
    replied
    I have a pair of Dexter penny loafers, Bass Weejuns, Allen Edmonds Waldens, and just picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds Glasgows which I will be wearing this season

Leave a comment:

• nova
    replied
    Originally posted by Shomas View Post
    I agree - and while some may not like the color of that sole, it doesn't bother me. I'm a pretty recent convert to loafers, but I have the zeal of a convert. Unfortunately, all of mine are Aldens, so I have to violate the ground rules out of the gate. I have two pairs of LHS penny loafers, one color 8 shell cordovan and one snuff suede. They are ridiculously comfortable, though I haven't had much opportunity to wear the suede ones yet. I expect they will get a lot of use this spring and summer. I also have a pair of Alden tassel loafers. It's still a look I'm getting used to seeing on my feet, but I like it.

As a general matter, I find that I prefer the LHS style penny loafer (as in the AE Addisons) to the full strap style (like these:http://leathersoulhawaii.com/wp-cont...d1-684x336.jpg). I'm also not a huge fan of beefroll style penny loafers, though I could probably be swayed on that if I saw the right pair.

In addition, beyond what [MENTION=13462]nova[/MENTION] mentioned, there are also horsebit loafers, which I don't really like at all.
    I can't believe I forgot horsebits. I suppose because I just have an aversion to them - I'm not trying to look like an 80's wall street broker, after all.

I do love the Alden LHS in snuff suede - they're probably the only company that makes a loafer like that, and I will probably purchase a pair going forward. Same with the cordovan. One thing at a time, though!

I bet I could convert you to beefroll loafers. The important thing is to realize that they're exclusively casual shoes - you don't wear them with anything other than rumpled chinos / jeans / shorts and a button-down or similar look. It's very much a take ivy thing. Think Kennedy on the weekends. I would love a pair, but they're just such a low priority for me right now - I'm a recent college graduate, so I'm more focused on workplace attire than weekend attire when considering my purchases.

Leave a comment:

• theskillets
    replied
    Another option for a quality summer loafer is Austen Heller http://www.austenheller.com/collecti...oducts/ripleys. I have a pair of their driving mocs and they are nice shoes. Wore them around NYC for a few days last summer and loved them

Leave a comment:

• somaticmarker1
    replied
    I love this Navy Pair from Oak Street Bootmakers but I already have a decent pair in the same color/style from Sebago I picked up from ebay last year for under $20.

I've had great luck finding decent quality options (Cole Haan, Sebago, etc) from ebay for under $20-30. I've always been hesitant to spend any significant amount of money of penny loafers as (1) I only wear them casually and (2) I wear them in situations where they are likely to get beat up (the beach, summer concerts, etc).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X