No announcement yet.

Let's talk Quality Summer Loafers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a tangential note given the thread title, can we also talk CHEAP summer loafers? I haven't traditionally been a loafer guy, so I'd like to find a decent cheap pair to experiment with how they would fit in my rotation before I go dropping a couple bills on real quality.

The Stafford Logan is generally considered the standard poor man's brown wingtip around here; is there an equivalent y'all would recommend for brown loafers?

Comment

Did you see the latest PTO post? Cheap loafers are hard to find. I'd go for a driver. You can find some on sale at BB and BR.

Comment

I may be being dense, but PTO?

Edit: Yes, I was just being dense. Put This On. I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by hbi2k View Post
          The Stafford Logan is generally considered the standard poor man's brown wingtip around here; is there an equivalent y'all would recommend for brown loafers?
          I would suggest the Florsheim Berkeley loafer, but only in the "crazy horse" color (the black and burgundy options are plasticky as all get out). I love mine and wear them more than almost any other shoe I own.

Comment

Originally posted by AngusM View Post
            I would suggest the Florsheim Berkeley loafer, but only in the "crazy horse" color (the black and burgundy options are plasticky as all get out). I love mine and wear them more than almost any other shoe I own.
            Thanks for the recommendation! Looks like Amazon has them with free returns in my size, so nothing to lose by giving them a try-out.

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
              I love the look, and have been coveting a pair of the Rancourt beefroll penny loafers. I think they look awesome.

I have the Rancourt Beefroll Penny in natural CXL, and I absolutely LOVE them! I plan to always have a pair of these in rotation. (For what it's worth, I'm a penny loafer addict. I've had lots of brands, from GH Bass to Alden LHS. I'm a beefroll guy, and these Rancourts fit the bill beautifully.)

Originally posted by thegreenfrog View Post
              Do you own any other loafers?/would be able to compare their quality to other such as the AE loafers?

Also, for everyone out there, I can't help but feel that loafers are a warm-weather thing. Is that true or are loafers really a year round thing?
              The classic answer is: depends on the season or climate for where you live. If you live in South Florida, then penny loafers can be worn year round. Seasonality and local climate are the classic ways to evaluate the appropriateness of penny loafers.

However, I subscribe to a different theory. I think penny loafers are more about one's attitude than the season or climate. Penny loafers are all about relaxation and casualness. If you're a casual, relaxed, mellow person, then the penny loafer suits your personality perfectly. And who cares about the colder weather? Sure, its cool to wear penny loafers sockless. But you know what else is cool? Awesome socks with colorful personality--stripes, dots, hearts, flags, skulls, anything! Awesome socks make penny loafers look even awesomer. Really.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Regards,
              Christopher

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                I know Johnston and Murphy isn't terribly well regarded here, but these look like a decent option for those looking for a less chunky toe box. They look very nice in person, and the leather is soft. They just came out, so I may wait until they inevitably drop below $100 to pick up a pair.
                The classic J&M penny loafer is the Ski-Moc. It's been around for decades. I have the pair shown below, and I love it. Comfy enough (not close to Rancourt, but...) and it's recraftable at the J&M factory. Worth every penny, in my opinion.

Regards,
                Christopher

Comment

I personally like these loafers

Comment

ralph lauren innsbrooks
                    Thoughts on these?

Comment

Originally posted by sean_anon View Post

ralph lauren innsbrooks
                      Thoughts on these?
                      The toe stitching looks too clean to be made in USA. Were they made in England? (Maybe by Crockett & Jones?) I've owned a pair of C&J-made Polo RL penny loafers before, and they were very well made. Worth the money, especially on sale. =)

Those look a little more on the dressier side for my east coast tastes, but they look sharp. I like them a lot.

Christopher
                      Last edited by CJBianco; April 28, 2015, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Alden Cape Cods are nice - they are Blake welted and I believe they are made by Quoddy, so roughly equivalent to Rancourt. They are actually the only loafers I've ever liked.

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
                          I picked up a pair in grey suede. Best $35 I've spent in recent memory.
                          Darn how did you manage $35?

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                            Picked these up two months ago and they are incredible:
                            https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4337
                            Nice! I have been looking at this company for a good amount of time but never bit the bullet because of international shipping to the US. How do these shoes fit?

Comment

Originally posted by CJBianco View Post
                              The toe stitching looks too clean to be made in USA. Were they made in England? (Maybe by Crockett & Jones?) I've owned a pair of C&J-made Polo RL penny loafers before, and they were very well made. Worth the money, especially on sale. =)

Those look a little more on the dressier side for my east coast tastes, but they look sharp. I like them a lot.

Christopher
                              I'm from the west coast and loafers are the last frontier for me. I have not had a pair since I was about 10 and I am late 30's now

What makes these less or more formal in your eyes? Is it the heal or the refined stitching or both? To me the rounded toe is more American and casual than the sleeker European loafers I see.

Comment

Originally posted by sean_anon View Post
                                I'm from the west coast and loafers are the last frontier for me. I have not had a pair since I was about 10 and I am late 30's now

What makes these less or more formal in your eyes? Is it the heal or the refined stitching or both? To me the rounded toe is more American and casual than the sleeker European loafers I see.
                                That's funny. I originally typed "formal," but then changed it to "dressier." =)

I can't see the heel from the photo he posted, but you're right about the stitching. It's definitely more refined (with tighter stitching and thinner thread). It's also burnished which is something you don't find on many USA-made penny loafers. (We tend to like our penny loafers a little more artisanal/imperfect.) However, the real clue is that it's not a beefroll. The beefroll is more casual (the most casual of the traditional penny loafer styles, I'd argue) because of its meaty side-rolls.

But I could be wrong. Often am. =)

Christopher

Comment

Working...
                                X