Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocco
    replied
    I know Johnston and Murphy isn't terribly well regarded here, but these look like a decent option for those looking for a less chunky toe box. They look very nice in person, and the leather is soft. They just came out, so I may wait until they inevitably drop below $100 to pick up a pair.

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/on/dem...Show?q=danbury

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    FYI, if anyone is in the market for a well made beefroll penny loafer, it'd be hard to beat these Rancourts at Haberdash. They are $236 with the code "LOOKGOOD" and there appears to be a decent amount of sizes left. If you are at all inclined, I'd advise buying now, thinking later.

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Originally posted by Manceptional View Post
    that's what I was afraid of. Maybe summer suit, no tie kind of deal?
    That could probably work. Obviously, it'd depend on the suit, but anything with the formality dialed back would probably be fine as long as the colors otherwise go together.

Leave a comment:

• Manceptional
    replied
    Originally posted by Shomas View Post
    I don't dislike this at all, but it's definitely more casual than not. You could maybe raise the formality a bit by getting it with a leather sole, but even then I think it's unlikely to work, for example, with a suit.
    that's what I was afraid of. Maybe summer suit, no tie kind of deal?

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Originally posted by Apollo View Post
    I checked out the Alden forum, and it was crazy! I have never seen people with so much knowledge on one shoe brand. Do you have any other high quality brands you like?
    Sorry for the delayed response, [MENTION=13428]Apollo[/MENTION] - not sure how I missed this. I don't really have a preference for any other brands in particular. That's not to say there aren't other quality shoes that I like, just that I don't have much experience with them. I have several pairs of Allen Edmonds and they're all pretty nice. I've seen several Carmina and Meermin shoes that look good, but I've never tried any on.

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    thoughts on the allen edmonds addison in tan?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline..._-1?style=4614

I bought these but am having a bit of buyers remorse. I bought because I thought it was the closest I could find to an in between (easily dressed up or dressed down), but now I'm thinking it might be just subpar at both. Plus the right sole is making a weird noise when I walk. Anyway, wanted to solicit opinions while I still had the opportunity to return or exchange.
    I don't dislike this at all, but it's definitely more casual than not. You could maybe raise the formality a bit by getting it with a leather sole, but even then I think it's unlikely to work, for example, with a suit.

Leave a comment:

• Manceptional
    replied
    thoughts on the allen edmonds addison in tan?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline..._-1?style=4614

I bought these but am having a bit of buyers remorse. I bought because I thought it was the closest I could find to an in between (easily dressed up or dressed down), but now I'm thinking it might be just subpar at both. Plus the right sole is making a weird noise when I walk. Anyway, wanted to solicit opinions while I still had the opportunity to return or exchange.

Leave a comment:

• phsiao08
    replied
    [MENTION=3820]Manceptional[/MENTION] the earnies aren't worth it in my opinion. Go for cole Hawn or Allen are minds for altenst bed

Leave a comment:

• facelessghost
    replied
    Originally posted by PREID View Post
    I like those but I've already ordered these just because of the current price. Can't beat $35

https://m.colehaan.com/products/C13472
    I picked up a pair in grey suede. Best $35 I've spent in recent memory.

Leave a comment:

• Jay Butler
    replied
    Originally posted by Boys Husky View Post
    Just a word of caution on Jay Butler shoes. They are definitely very nice, but I would advise against them if your feet are the least bit wider than average. I sized up and they were still too narrow. I tried to break them in, but to no avail. But yes, they're definitely good quality - they seem like they'd be very comfortable if you have a normal sized foot.
    thanks [MENTION=12061]Jshackleford[/MENTION] for the rec and for the nice words [MENTION=13232]Boys Husky[/MENTION]. To your point on the width, true, are shoes are not sized for wider feet (although the Naples is on a slightly wider last). Some guys have found that going up a half size works, others have been able to break them in and widen them with wear. Then there are others for which neither path worked, unfortunately. I am sorry that yours did not work out. We are currently working on some wide width samples, if they work out well we will ideally offer wide widths on some of the models and colors, but that won't be for a number of months.

-Justin

Leave a comment:

• mjn082
    replied
    I'm looking for something more casual, seems like the casual suede type options are imported. The made in usa line just dont feel very "summery" to me.
    I just received in the mail the Nordstrom 1901 line "Miami" driving loafer in grey suede (they also have navy & chocolate suede). Haven't worn them full on yet but the fit feels fine and will be comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• PREID
    replied
    anyone have any thoughts on these from jack erwin? I know some people are morally opposed to driver's in general, but these have a nice penny loafer look and the treads at the heel don't particularly bother me (although they are too much in the navy with red treads in my opinion)

http://www.jackerwin.com/products/er...fer-sand-suede
    I like those but I've already ordered these just because of the current price. Can't beat $35

https://m.colehaan.com/products/C13472

Leave a comment:

• Manceptional
    replied
    anyone have any thoughts on these from jack erwin? I know some people are morally opposed to driver's in general, but these have a nice penny loafer look and the treads at the heel don't particularly bother me (although they are too much in the navy with red treads in my opinion)

http://www.jackerwin.com/products/er...fer-sand-suede

Leave a comment:

• Manceptional
    replied
    I'm looking for something more casual, seems like the casual suede type options are imported. The made in usa line just dont feel very "summery" to me.

Leave a comment:

• PREID
    replied
    You just killed me. Spent about 20 minutes on the website. Some really good deals. Can anyone remark on Weejun quality? I know we aren't talking about alden, but they seem like a really good deal.
    Which price point Weejun are you referring to? They have a made in maine line as well as a cheaper option.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X