No announcement yet.

Let's talk Quality Summer Loafers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've recently been coveting the Deerfield II tassel loafers from Johnston & Murphy.

https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/deerf...-toe/1684.html

Comment

Those blue chromexel oak street loafers are too ill.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresbrando View Post
        Those blue chromexel oak street loafers are too ill.
        There's a similar pair of blue Bass Weejuns in the for sale section currently. They're a steal.

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
          There's a similar pair of blue Bass Weejuns in the for sale section currently. They're a steal.
          The patent leather ones?

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
            The patent leather ones?
            No. The made in maine handstitched ones here: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...eejuns-Sz-9-5D

I'm hoping someone else buys them so that I don't end up spending money that I don't need to. haha

Comment

I have a pair of gently used Oak Street Boot Makers - Navy Beefroll Loafers in a sz 9 (Fits US size 10 D) if anyone is interested. Will probably be putting them up here and on Style Forum for $200 shipped. They retail for $328.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                I agree - and while some may not like the color of that sole, it doesn't bother me. I'm a pretty recent convert to loafers, but I have the zeal of a convert. Unfortunately, all of mine are Aldens, so I have to violate the ground rules out of the gate. I have two pairs of LHS penny loafers, one color 8 shell cordovan and one snuff suede. They are ridiculously comfortable, though I haven't had much opportunity to wear the suede ones yet. I expect they will get a lot of use this spring and summer. I also have a pair of Alden tassel loafers. It's still a look I'm getting used to seeing on my feet, but I like it.

As a general matter, I find that I prefer the LHS style penny loafer (as in the AE Addisons) to the full strap style (like these:http://leathersoulhawaii.com/wp-cont...d1-684x336.jpg). I'm also not a huge fan of beefroll style penny loafers, though I could probably be swayed on that if I saw the right pair.

In addition, beyond what [MENTION=13462]nova[/MENTION] mentioned, there are also horsebit loafers, which I don't really like at all.
                Shomas,
                How do you know about leathersoulhawaii.com? Also, I plan on buying three pair of Aldens: one pair of shell cordovan loafers, one pair of tassel loafers, and another shoe to make a complete collection with seven pair of dress shoes one for each day. Do you know anything about when Aldens go on sale? Also, I have learned a lot about creating your own style from your posts and appreciate you sharing some of your knowledge.

Comment

[MENTION=13428]Apollo[/MENTION] - your best bet would be to get on the Alden Factory irregulars list at The Shoemart. Jcrew has a code about once or twice a year that accidentally works on them. Brooks brothers will also put them on sale from time to time as well. If you know your size, check ebay as well.

Comment

Anybody have a decent pair for <$125? I'm looking for some sort of brown pair for this summer but am struggling to pick out the good quality ones from the cheapo ones online. Thanks!

Comment

I plan on some Rancourts soon, but I can put in a plug for some nice lower quality loafers - Sebago Trenton. made in Portugal, super thin synthetic sole, removable insole. I got a pair in suede. Love 'em

Comment

Jay Butler shoes makes awesome penny loafers for $145 or so. They're TTS and comfortable as hell. I suggest those.

Comment

Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
                          Jay Butler shoes makes awesome penny loafers for $145 or so. They're TTS and comfortable as hell. I suggest those.
                          Just a word of caution on Jay Butler shoes. They are definitely very nice, but I would advise against them if your feet are the least bit wider than average. I sized up and they were still too narrow. I tried to break them in, but to no avail. But yes, they're definitely good quality - they seem like they'd be very comfortable if you have a normal sized foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Apollo View Post
                            Shomas,
                            How do you know about leathersoulhawaii.com? Also, I plan on buying three pair of Aldens: one pair of shell cordovan loafers, one pair of tassel loafers, and another shoe to make a complete collection with seven pair of dress shoes one for each day. Do you know anything about when Aldens go on sale? Also, I have learned a lot about creating your own style from your posts and appreciate you sharing some of your knowledge.
                            Thanks! Leather Soul is one of those retailers that often has cool Alden makeups. Not sure where I first heard of them, but it was probably Styleforum.

Aldens don't often go on sale. Seconds through the Shoemart are about the closest thing that happens with any regularity (but that can be dodgy, given the quality issues you sometimes find with Alden seconds). About once a year, J Crew screws up and allows a sale code to be applied to Aldens, but that's nothing you can rely on. Sales happen here and there at Haberdash, Unionmade, or Need Supply.

You just need to sort of keep your ear to the ground. I recommend following the Styleforum Alden thread to do that - though it can be a bit daunting given the volume of posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                              Thanks! Leather Soul is one of those retailers that often has cool Alden makeups. Not sure where I first heard of them, but it was probably Styleforum.

Aldens don't often go on sale. Seconds through the Shoemart are about the closest thing that happens with any regularity (but that can be dodgy, given the quality issues you sometimes find with Alden seconds). About once a year, J Crew screws up and allows a sale code to be applied to Aldens, but that's nothing you can rely on. Sales happen here and there at Haberdash, Unionmade, or Need Supply.

You just need to sort of keep your ear to the ground. I recommend following the Styleforum Alden thread to do that - though it can be a bit daunting given the volume of posts.
                              I checked out the Alden forum, and it was crazy! I have never seen people with so much knowledge on one shoe brand. Do you have any other high quality brands you like?

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
                                You just killed me. Spent about 20 minutes on the website. Some really good deals. Can anyone remark on Weejun quality? I know we aren't talking about alden, but they seem like a really good deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X