Thoughts on the Rolex GMT Pepsi and other expensive watches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I hear you [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION], I think I prefer the non-bezeled GS gmt models which have a little dressier look (and don't look quite as much like my SD). If I were into the bezel look, I think I'd eye the two tone look of the SBGE015 for some variety/more color.

As it stands, GS did a new high beat in green, white and black that look pretty cool too (SBGJ005, 011, and 013). Just a lot of decisions between very similar models there. Wondering if there are non-GS models that might be other good options too.

Edit for pics:

This is the snowflake (which isn't a GMT, but a new classic by GS):

The SBGJ's:

I like all of them and even though they all lie slightly outside of the true dress watch parameters, they are plenty dressy enough to get away with in probably 95% of circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
      I like all of them and even though they all lie slightly outside of the true dress watch parameters, they are plenty dressy enough to get away with in probably 95% of circumstances.
      Agreed, definitely not a true dress watch. You could probably even get away with most of them for all but black tie and even then maybe. This WIS hobby is rough, you (or at least me) are always thinking about what to get next, etc. A few others I'd like to have at some point (which tick similar/overlapping types), in order of most likely acquisition:

Glashutte Original Senator Observer in black w lume (dress-ish, but still ok with casual)... likely not unique enough, but I love the look

OR a GO Panolunarmatic in grey or white (dress-ish, but not full dress; cool complications)

AP Royal Oak 15400 boutique only blue dial (office wear; hard to pull off with black tie, but otherwise goes with anything)

Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Small Seconds (true dress watch)

Comment

Agreed, definitely not a true dress watch. You could probably even get away with most of them for all but black tie and even then maybe. This WIS hobby is rough, you (or at least me) are always thinking about what to get next, etc.
        yeah, I agree. Only maybe 1 in 20 people at a black tie would look at those watches as being anything approaching inappropriate. Hobbyists are all on top of the minor details though. I have become less obsessed with the rules as of late though. No gshocks with suits but a chrono as a dress watch, sure. Or a diver on....gasp....LEATHER!

Comment

yeah, I agree. Only maybe 1 in 20 people at a black tie would look at those watches as being anything approaching inappropriate. Hobbyists are all on top of the minor details though. I have become less obsessed with the rules as of late though. No gshocks with suits but a chrono as a dress watch, sure. Or a diver on....gasp....LEATHER!
          Your diver comments reminds me, I also really want a new Tudor Pelagos blue which I would keep on the blue rubber for a super casual look (I don't care if it's too much like my current SD):

And for those keeping track, these are my current watches:

Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000

Casio G-Shock Rangeman

I also own a Maratac pilot large (original dial) and an Orient Bambino (original white dial) that rarely get much airplay, given that the SD4k can be reasonably worn for pretty much anything.

Comment

man, I like that Tudor. You are fighting in a higher weight class than I but have the same ideas going on. I wear my Seiko FFF mod or blue Mako for almost everything and just move the straps around some, as appropriate. I recently did some work on a vostok as my super casual option. I keep intending to get a pilot and a dress watch but not sure how much wear they would get. I have a Seiko SPC079 chrono that is close enough to dress for my purposes.

Comment

man, I like that Tudor. You are fighting in a higher weight class than I but have the same ideas going on. I wear my Seiko FFF mod or blue Mako for almost everything and just move the straps around some, as appropriate. I recently did some work on a vostok as my super casual option. I keep intending to get a pilot and a dress watch but not sure how much wear they would get. I have a Seiko SPC079 chrono that is close enough to dress for my purposes.
              Tudor is a pretty reasonable price point if you're wanting to get into pricier watches... just be careful because the bug gets you quickly I just love blue dials and blue details.

Mind you the watches above (outside of the G-shock) vary from $3,500 to maybe $20,000, so I don't expect to be owning them all any time soon. It's a long (really long) term plan. That being said, my bonus usually is pretty decent and I have no real obligations (no wife, kids, other family obligations, etc.), so I get to play with watches and the stock market a bit more than a lot of folks.

Comment

Tudor is a pretty reasonable price point if you're wanting to get into pricier watches... just be careful because the bug gets you quickly I just love blue dials and blue details.

Mind you the watches above (outside of the G-shock) vary from $3,500 to maybe $20,000, so I don't expect to be owning them all any time soon. It's a long (really long) term plan. That being said, my bonus usually is pretty decent and I have no real obligations (no wife, kids, other family obligations, etc.), so I get to play with watches and the stock market a bit more than a lot of folks.
                well, I have a wife and 4 kids so no Tudor for me, but I can look and plan for what I will be buying in 13 years when the last one hits the bricks.

Comment

The Swatch Sistem51 has been catching my eye for interesting casual watch. Automatic with 51 moving parts but the designs aren't great. I think they come out with new designs every year but I may end up with one.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                    The Swatch Sistem51 has been catching my eye for interesting casual watch. Automatic with 51 moving parts but the designs aren't great. I think they come out with new designs every year but I may end up with one.
                    swatch has some cool stuff but those proprietary straps bother me.

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] Glashutte Original Senator Observer -> this is a nice watch. I think I'm gonna do some googling around and see what I can find out. This watch might have jumped the line on what I'm looking for. Wow.

So many watches, so little time/money. And who knows where to look for deals and ideas, etc. Gesh.

Updated: So a google search shows the price as US$11,800 on the strap. Is this about right?
                      Last edited by DocDave; October 21, 2015, 03:29 PM. Reason: updated price

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                        [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] Glashutte Original Senator Observer -> this is a nice watch. I think I'm gonna do some googling around and see what I can find out. This watch might have jumped the line on what I'm looking for. Wow.

So many watches, so little time/money. And who knows where to look for deals and ideas, etc. Gesh.

Updated: So a google search shows the price as US$11,800 on the strap. Is this about right?
                        Yeah, it's a pretty watch -- that's prob right for retail, should be able to get it for more toward $9k from what I understand from an AD with a little haggling (but don't quote me), assuming you have an AD that you can go visit in person. Online, you can do grey market in the same price range, but won't have the GO warranty, etc.

A lot of the GOs are A Lange styled, which is something I really enjoy. Nice finishing in their own right, not to mention 50% or less of the cost. On the Pano models, I love the offcenter/smaller rotor. On the Sen Obv, the lume is one of the best highlights. In both, the big date (in my opinion) is a signature.

Comment

Definitely a nice watch. But what's an AD? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                            Definitely a nice watch. But what's an AD? Thanks.
                            AD = authorized dealer, vs. grey market (sellers that don't offer factory warranty).
                            Ben

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Anyone have any experience with Steinhart watches? This one has caught my eye. Price works out to the $1,100 CDN or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X