Thoughts on the Rolex GMT Pepsi and other expensive watches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
    [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] - that was anti-climatic. I do love my vintage Seiko's though! Oh and I always love a good canvas strap.
    Yeah, I know. Hate to be a party-pooper. Trouble is I started thinking rationally which is never a good idea when starting to ponder large/expensive purchases. If I'd gone with my heart instead of my head the Rolex would be on the way to me as I type this; heck maybe even here already.

Nevertheless it wasn't all for naught. The discussion was a great learning experience and we even suckered [MENTION=4382]Clarkie_415[/MENTION] in to buying a watch too!

Comment

Suckered me into an upgrade... birthday gift from the wife actually.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
        Yeah, I know. Hate to be a party-pooper. Trouble is I started thinking rationally which is never a good idea when starting to ponder large/expensive purchases. If I'd gone with my heart instead of my head the Rolex would be on the way to me as I type this; heck maybe even here already.

Nevertheless it wasn't all for naught. The discussion was a great learning experience and we even suckered [MENTION=4382]Clarkie_415[/MENTION] in to buying a watch too!
        Think of it as money to spend on nice shoes now...Carmina, bonafe, C&J

Comment

Originally posted by jm722 View Post
          Think of it as money to spend on nice shoes now...Carmina, bonafe, C&J
          Well said. With the AE sale going on right now, it's hard not to pull the trigger on something...gesh.

Comment

Well said. With the AE sale going on right now, it's hard not to pull the trigger on something...gesh.
            For a little more checkout carmina, about 330-360 shipped. Nicest shoes for the money by far

Comment

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] was wondering how you're coming along with the Seiko decision a few months in

Comment

[MENTION=13300]southy[/MENTION] Funny you should ask. I am wearing the Seiko today. Still liking the watch and the Seiko makes it in to the weekly watch rotation without issue. Keeps good time and I would not hesitate to make the purchase again.

Having said all that, I am now thinking about a vintage Omega. My issue is finding a quality one, for a reasonable price, and from someone that I can trust. A quick look around the interwebs for a 'vintage watch' leads to many different links. But with not wanting to be scammed, how to tell who to trust?

And of course I follow some watch geeks on Instagram. They post Rolex GMT Pepsi photos which starts me thinking that maybe said watch wouldn't be so bad after all...In any event, still very happy/satisfied with the Seiko. Are you thinking of picking up a new watch ?

Comment

On my end the Anstead has basically obliterated my watch rotation. It's endeared itself to me and is versatile enough to wear with anything short of a tux by swapping out straps, so I wear it almost every day. Maybe slightly bigger than is ideal for my wrist, but the thick bezel helps. I'm actually quite pleased to not be sliding further down the rabbit hole, though I occasionally am tempted - that C. Ward GMT Dappered gave away comes to mind.

I have no idea how to get pictures to post. So linked:
                  http://imgur.com/vUWohUO
                  Last edited by southy; October 16, 2015, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Nice watch. Glad to hear you're wearing something that you enjoy.

You're right though. That C.Ward watch is a good looking watch. Ah watch obsession. How much fun is that!

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by washcold View Post
                      Not to add to the confusion, but Seiko makes a few very nice, high-end GMTs in their "Grand Seiko" line. It's a way to fly under the radar while getting a watch that's comparable to a Rolex GMT. Here are a couple of my favorites:

SBGE001 - 609K Yen - approximately USD 5110

SBGH005 - also 609K Yen

Related topic, I'm actually debating a GS snowflake or a GS GMT (either the Hi-Beat in champagne dial above or the spring drive GMT in similar color). Anyone have one and have an opinion?

Any other thoughts on a GMT other than a Rolex? I have a Rolex (SeaDweller) already and don't want to have something in that close of a style as my 2nd watch.

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] I really like the look of that SBGE001.

Comment

I hear you [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION], I think I prefer the non-bezeled GS gmt models which have a little dressier look (and don't look quite as much like my SD). If I were into the bezel look, I think I'd eye the two tone look of the SBGE015 for some variety/more color.

As it stands, GS did a new high beat in green, white and black that look pretty cool too (SBGJ005, 011, and 013). Just a lot of decisions between very similar models there. Wondering if there are non-GS models that might be other good options too.

Edit for pics:

This is the snowflake (which isn't a GMT, but a new classic by GS):

The SBGJ's:

Last edited by hornsup84; October 19, 2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

That snowflake is a very nice looking watch. And I hear ya on the non-bezeled version. I can see how the non-bezeled version would be a little bit dressier.

<sigh> and just when I thought I was getting out of the watch game, I'm pulled back in.

Comment

That snowflake is a very nice looking watch. And I hear ya on the non-bezeled version. I can see how the non-bezeled version would be a little bit dressier.

<sigh> and just when I thought I was getting out of the watch game, I'm pulled back in.
                              Snowflake is just amazing. Just wish they made it in a GMT! Feel like I need a GMT and would be great to check that box and a dress watch (not true full dress, but a dressier watch) in one. Want to check out the GMTs vs the snowflake in person -- thankfully (also unfortunately for my wallet) the GS boutique in NYC is easily accessible!

Comment

I hear ya [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION]. I too feel like I need a GMT. I'm just having a hard time getting my head to align with my heart/wants. I thought by picking up the Seiko (which is a very nice watch IMHO) the want would be satiated. Alas, that does not seem to be the case. So now it's a task to see what else is out there. Seeing as I have the Seiko, picking up a Pepsi GMT seems to be a little silly since the watches are similar in appearance/colour scheme.

Comment

Working...
                                X