Jacket unbuttoned while standing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jacket unbuttoned while standing

I know I can't be the only person here who feels this way.. I just cannot bear to button my blazer/suit jacket while standing. I'm particularly bad about not buttoning sportcoats. I mean really, jeans + sportcoat buttoned seems just over the top and stuffy. It just seems like the unbuttoned look is less.. pretentious.

Thoughts?

I don't like it unbuttoned, but it does bother me to do it all the time, so sometimes I skip it.

Comment

My rule of thumb on this:

If it looks better buttoned than not, button it.

If it looks better unbuttoned than not, leave it unbuttoned.

Comment

sportcoats, especially with jeans, i will leave unbuttoned no matter what. The entire intent of that look is "dressed down dressy"

A suit while at an event that calls for a suit...ill follow the sitting unbuttoned, standing buttoned rules.

Comment

I'm with chern. Everything I have looks better when its buttoned except for a single corded sport coat. Sometimes ill close it up, but I usually just leave of open. It depends entirely on the garment.

Comment

I change my mind on this constantly. Don't ask for my opinion.

Comment

I look at this as a personal preference. But am aware of the sitting/standing unbuttoned/button etiquette. That said I don't like to look pretentious either, so I probably leave mine unbutton more than I should.

Comment

I'm not sure that a person gives off an aura of pretentiousness by buttoning a jacket with buttons...

I'm not saying I think that "rule" should always be followed, but most sport coats, blazers, etc have a nicer silhouette buttoned, IMO. It's one of those details that, to me, separates a well dressed man and one that knows etiquette. Again, I don't always, and don't think you HAVE to, but I always notice when another guy stands and buttons his jacket.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

What @greg_s said... They're cut to have a nice silhouette when buttoned

Comment

I have to say I, totally notice whenever I see someone promptly button their jacket when they stand up, since so many people ignore that convention. I think it's ok, but I'd probably only leave it unbuttoned in a more casual environment. In any case, I think buttoned while sitting is worse than unbuttoned while standing.

Comment

In a suit (not casual), definitely button upon standing. Formality dictates following proper etiquette. In a blazer/sportcoat/casual suit, it really depends on where I am. I'd say I usually don't button up immediately upon standing and I leave it unbuttoned quite a bit.

Comment

I prefer to be buttoned while standing. I (and every other man involved) did get chastised by a mock trial judge once for this - evidently it leaves you "closed off" and "inaccessible" to a jury. Of course, in the mock trial context it's especially annoying because you are standing up and down every three seconds to make objections.

Ben

Comment

Totally agree with the guys using etiquette as the rule. i prefer it buttoned and do button up when i get up, but i am aslo the same guy that used to stand up when my wife would go to the lav while we were in fancy restaurants...the old bogies would always throw me a smile cuz of my old school charm...lol, needless to say its rather annoying at times so i stopped doing it when the gf became the wife and she doesnt mind...if she did, id continue to stand, but what was i talking about, lol, button while standing looks better...lol

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                          I>0<I

Comment

Working...
                          X