Charles Tyrwhitt changed their fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles Tyrwhitt changed their fit?

I just bought 3 CT shirts on that $29 sale they were running. For all three, I bought them the exact same size as the shirts that I already own (35/33 Extra Slim Fit). They arrived yesterday and I noticed that they had a "improved fit. Now truer to the name" sticker on the packages. Sure enough, when I tried them on, they are comically small. The armpits dug into me. The shoulders were narrow, and I could literally barely button the shirts past my chest. They made these things WAY slimmer. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm guessing that is need just a slim fit shirt now, but I don't know if they've updated those as well or not. If not, they will be too billowy on me, as they were before.

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
    I just bought 3 CT shirts on that $29 sale they were running. For all three, I bought them the exact same size as the shirts that I already own (35/33 Extra Slim Fit). They arrived yesterday and I noticed that they had a "improved fit. Now truer to the name" sticker on the packages. Sure enough, when I tried them on, they are comically small. The armpits dug into me. The shoulders were narrow, and I could literally barely button the shirts past my chest. They made these things WAY slimmer. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm guessing that is need just a slim fit shirt now, but I don't know if they've updated those as well or not. If not, they will be too billowy on me, as they were before.
    Yeah they updated their fit a lot. Before, even their extra slim fit really wasn't all that slim, but now they swung too far the other way and their extra slim fit is way too slim. The 14.5" neck is said to fit a 36" chest, but the shirt measures only 37.5" in the chest. I have a 36" chest and anything under 39" pulls on the buttons unless I'm standing perfectly still with my shoulders a bit forward. I don't think there is a single person in this world with a 36" chest that would look even half decent in that shirt. The crappy part is the waist measurement at 34.5" is perfect for somebody with a 36" chest and 30" waist, but they really blew the chest measurement. Once you step up to a slim fit, the waist is 37", which looks billowy.

I had been waiting since last summer when they told me the fit would be updated, but the shirts still don't work for me.

Comment

interesting. The last shirt I bought was like a year and a half ago. I guess I'll have to bump up to a slim fit and see if that works. If not, that will be a pretty big bummer. At $29 shirt, that is a great deal for some decent shirts that fit me well, (in the old measurements). We'll see what happens now, I guess.

Comment

yep, just recently researched this myself:

http://www.shirtdetective.com/charles-tyrwhitt-review/

either go up a collar size or move to SF in same collar size.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
          yep, just recently researched this myself:

http://www.shirtdetective.com/charles-tyrwhitt-review/

either go up a collar size or move to SF in same collar size.
          that's a great write-up! Thanks for the link. The way they changed the sizes looks crazy. ESF got really slim, while the slim fit chests actually got larger than some of the old ones, (as the neck size goes up)?? That makes no sense.

Comment

I have also noticed that their sleeves tend to shrink more than other shirts I have, so I need to order a longer sleeve size.

Comment

Are the slim fits different too? The ones I got 18 months ago are perfect but I want o make sure I don't need classic fit now.

Comment

I got a slim one in last week, and it's excellent, with some room. It don't like them skin tight. 5'7, 147#, 15/33.

Comment

I'm 5'10 180 lbs and their 15.5" extra slim fit WAS my go-to. I hope that the new slim fit will still fit as nicely.

Comment

Glad I saw this. I planned on ordering some.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. In the past I felt like CT shirts were unsurpassed in quality for the price but my only issue with them was that they were far too baggy for me even in ESF. After reading this I put in an order for a couple of shirts and if they fit true to the new measurements this will likely be the last dress shirt company that I buy from.

Comment

Banana Republic Tailored Slim-Fit, Non-Iron > Charles Tyrwhitt

Comment

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
                          I got a slim one in last week, and it's excellent, with some room. It don't like them skin tight. 5'7, 147#, 15/33.
                          This is good to know. I'm almost the same size as you.

Comment

I just looked at that shirtdetective site and I'm laughing, should plot that chart over the rate of fast food expansion.

It seems like the bigger necks they did change more for fit guys though, slightly bigger chest with same waist on ESF but the slim fit they shrunk the chest on bigger, which makes sense since it would just then be a bit bigger than ESF.
                            Last edited by shad0w4life; March 16, 2015, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Why do they offer 15.5 with a 37 sleeve, but not 16 or 16.5?

Comment

Working...
                              X