Question about Tailors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Tailors

I have never been to a tailor. I generally just wore jeans and t-shirts. I prefer not to dress that way anymore; problem is clothes don't fit off the rack, as most of us know.

I don't know my exact measurements, can I go to a tailor just to get proper measurements? Also, when you have your clothes altered, do you tip a tailor?

Yes you can go to a tailor to get measurements. Sometimes places charge for it so you might want to call in advance. Otherwise there are plenty of measurement guides on the internet that you can go off of and just have a friend do it.

I don't tip the tailor and I've never heard of such a thing--that would be news to me if that was the case. But funny how I tip my hair stylist and never think twice about it.

But once you have an idea of what your measurements are, go to the stores and start trying on clothes to see which ones actually fit well. You'd be surprised--you may very well be lucky and find clothes that fit OTR quite well. It just takes a bit of patience hunting things down and swatting away sales associates who come by and tell you that you look good in it even if it doesn't fit you well.

Comment

Agree with Drew, dont write of clothes not fitting off the rack right away. I spent FOREVER trying to find a dress shirt that fits well (Nordstrom trim fit). Go to the mall and try on all different brands, and try to avoid the sales people.

Comment

If you need to know your measurements, you can either go to a tailor or you can measured at any store that sells suits. Wherever you buy a suit you will need to get it tailored, so do some research and find good one. And no, you do not need to tip a tailor. The only thing I've heard that was close to this is tipping a tailor during the holiday season, but I'd say that's only if you go to him often.

Comment

I would tip a tailor if they cut me a deal or did a freebie.

Comment

Thanks for the insight; I appreciate the help.

Comment

I agree with Hardrain, don't count out things off the racks until you've been around the block a bit. I was struggling with button downs but LEC fits great if I size down. Similarly, express does a nice job on the mx1 shirts. Any kind of suiting is more apt to needing some work done on it, but that's also because the stakes are higher and there are more details in the item.

Lastly, I'd say get a myotape so you can measure yourself without some assistance. Great for logging body size if that ever becomes a goal and isn't much more expensive than a regular tailor tape roll.

Comment

Working...
              X