Picking a new dress(ish) chrono

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going back and forth on a new watch purchase. I've been looking for a dressy chrono ever since I sold my Citizen a while back (which, with the black-on-white scheme was a little too start for me). I've got it narrowed down to four, all Seiko quartz with nearly identical dimensions (20mm lugs, 42mm case, ~12mm height) and I'd like you guys to judge them strictly on their looks (dimensions and prices are similar enough that looks are the deciding factor). Without further ado, the borrowed pics:

I like the gold accents, especially since they're protected under the glass, but it might be a little too busy and the font on the numbers may be a little... cartoonish?
    (**EDIT** Pic disappeared, had to replace it.)

I can't figure out if the dial on this is brown, gray, or black. It's listed differently on different sites and it looks different in different pictures. If I could confirm it was gray, I'd buy it immediately... I think.

It's a looker, but will silver-on-silver for the dial/hands be hard to read?

No legibility concerns here... but is it too boring?

So yeah, go ahead and weigh in if you'd like. If you've got alternatives to suggest (in the same price range... not looking to save up for a Tissot T-Tradition or anything), that's cool too, but really just looking for a sounding board here. Muchas thanks in advance.
    Last edited by AngusM; March 14, 2015, 10:36 AM.

1. You, like the gold accents, I don't. However, just a matter of taste. I don't think the numbers are cartoonish, as much as art noveau. An important distinction, as it makes the watch classy, as opposed to childish, even if not my taste.
    2. I would try and contact the manufacturer, to find out the colour. try and see if the model numbers are the same, because there may be variants.
    3. The one I would buy
    4. I don't think it is boring. I do think three looks better than two. It is actually a principle of design, where motifs are more desirable in groups of three.

Comment

#1 is the clear winner for my tastes

Comment

4 is the most elegant. I would buy 3, for all around use.

Comment

i like the 4th watch

Comment

Ha, I actually got #1 in the mail today. Love it. Much more elegant in person, and not overly flashy. The gold accents are actually pretty subtle. Only thing I don't really love is the band. It's a weird washed out blackish/grey. But tha't's easy to change.

I like #4 a lot as well. #3 is boring to me. No character. #2 is not bad, but the gold and black clash in my eyes.

Comment

I'm leaning more and more heavily toward 1. I think 2 may not be as dressy-versatile as I'm looking for, I'm concerned 3 will be hard to read, and I realized the date at 9:00 is a deal breaker on 4.

1 also comes in a cream-dial, blue-hands/indices version, but I think that one is too stark for my taste (which was my problem with my Citizen dress chrono I sold a while back), although it doesn't have the weird gray strap like 1.

Comment

Originally posted by AngusM View Post
                I'm leaning more and more heavily toward 1. I think 2 may not be as dressy-versatile as I'm looking for, I'm concerned 3 will be hard to read, and I realized the date at 9:00 is a deal breaker on 4.

1 also comes in a cream-dial, blue-hands/indices version, but I think that one is too stark for my taste (which was my problem with my Citizen dress chrono I sold a while back), although it doesn't have the weird gray strap like 1.

ooh! I really like the sunburst dial, and blue hands! What model is that?

Comment

Originally posted by mattface View Post
                  Seconded, that is super sharp! Inquiring minds would like to know.

Comment

Originally posted by mattface View Post
                    Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                    Seconded, that is super sharp! Inquiring minds would like to know.
                    That's the SPC155P1. It's about $190 (Prime-eligible) from Amazon. There's a 360-view video here, which convinced me there was too much blue on there for my purposes, but which others may find helpful.

Comment

I like #1 and I am honestly not a big fan of gold accents as I feel it is most difficult to accessorize with. But I like the leather strap on #1

Comment

Ended up ordering 1 (model SPC087). It conveniently dropped a few bucks on Prime, and I was done for. If the gold accents end up bugging me, I'll probably go to #3 (model # SPC079).

As for the other models, the dark face with gold accents (#2) is SPC151** and the two-dial version (#4) is SNN277.

** Someday:

Comment

1st one for me.

Comment

The SPC087 arrived today, and it was the right choice. It's actually my favorite watch I've ever handled. The only imperfection is that the band is pretty stiff; turns out the gray color doesn't bother me a bit. I'll just wear it until it dies and then swap that bad boy out.

Thanks to all who weighed in!

Comment

Originally posted by AngusM View Post
                              That's the SPC155P1. It's about $190 (Prime-eligible) from Amazon. There's a 360-view video here, which convinced me there was too much blue on there for my purposes, but which others may find helpful.
                              Considering I have an SPC079 scheduled for delivery today, I may be a bit biased but I pick it from the first 4 you linked. If we are including watch #5, that would be my choice though. It was my original target but was nearly double in price (got the spc079 second hand in excellent condition) so I couldn't justify it. I have an sndc031 with a cream face and cream hands and have no problems reading it so I wasn't concerned about visibility.

post some real world pics of that spc087. If I were to do gold accents it would be something like that.

EDIT - where are my manners...please post some real world pics

Comment

Working...
                              X