Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoe Restoration - What is reasonable to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acousticfoodie
    replied

I'd buy the Lands End version of the indy boot instead at this inflated price

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

I do wonder if part of the price inflation on these Aldens was the fact that they are a pretty popular model right now (Alden Indy, specifically). I find it hard to believe that an Alden in a different, less trendy style (but similar poor condition) would sell for $180+ shipped.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

The guy who sold these seems to be 10 minutes from my house. I'd be sick if I found out he nabbed them from a local thrift shop.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

90% of things I buy have been resold... to me. I buy most things at thrifts, from other thrifters, or from eBay, and I'm only looking for stuff that's of high enough quality for me to want it used.

Leave a comment:

• Hardrain
    replied

everything? I would venture to bet 90% of things you buy don't get resold.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Having never sold an article of clothing, I would have to say that I've never considered resale value. Could change some day, but it's not a factor for me.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Absolutely. I consider resale value when buying everything.

Leave a comment:

• Hardrain
    replied

^ You consider resale value when purchasing shoes?

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    replied

That closing price makes me think I should choose Alden instead of Allen Edmonds next time I need new shoes...the resale value on Aldens is crazy!

Leave a comment:

• forbritisheyesonly
    replied

Is it routine to send a pair of shoes to the company that made them as opposed to a local, reputable cobbler?

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

That closing price is nuts, especially with the $15 shipping on top. I wouldn't have picked those up in a thrift shop for $15. A skilled shoe repairman might be able to make them LOOK pretty good, but there's some serious wear and damage to those uppers. Besides the scuffing, the overall discoloration makes me think that there's probably some kind of salt or chemical damage to the leather which will not simply go away.

I think you're pretty lucky to have lost out on these ones, TBH.

I bought my fully-welted, US-made Chippewas for a lot less than that price. Maybe they're not as nice as Aldens, but I can tell you which one I'd rather have on my feet....

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

That's more than I paid for my shell AE's and mine are near mint

Leave a comment:

• Tat
    replied

WOw that closing price is stupid...I looked at the pictures, what in the world are people thinking. That pisses me off to see boots in that need of repair go for more than some pair of cordovan shoes sell for used.

Leave a comment:

• Whiteknight
    replied

Closing price - $167.50. Crazy town.

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    replied

OMG! The other pics in the ebay link show a really messed up boot! I can't believe people are paying over 100 for them still! Scuffed leather all over...torn seams...soles in immediate need of replacement...Quite a testament to Alden that a boot in this condition is still fetching such a high dollar.

I think it'll be better to buy a brand new pair of Aldens/wolverines/redwings/Allen Edmonds instead or look at Chippewa/Frye for a more budget but still good quality boot

Leave a comment:

Working...
X