Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoe Restoration - What is reasonable to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoe Restoration - What is reasonable to expect?

How much can I expect from a full shoe restoration? Can these Alden boots be made to look reasonable?

Alden should be able to do a fairly good job on them unless some of the discoloration is due to salt damage. Here's a pair of restored shoes that looks fairly similar to yours:

Comment

Dude, did you ditch those babies in a rock salt desert for a few years?

I believe Alden does recrafting, but given the extent of damage you're dealing with you might be better off finding the absolute best shoe repair shop in your area. That way you can actually talk to the cobbler and get a realistic assessment rather than sending them off to Alden and hoping for the best.

Comment

They're not mine... yet. Thinking about picking them up for ~$60. Just trying to figure out if this is a gamble that's sure to lose.

Comment

@Whiteknight I'd pass if you're paying about $60 for them. Recrafting is going to cost you well over $100(AE charges $125 on their shoes) so keep that in mind. Basically, you're looking at around $200 final cost with no guarantee of a desirable outcome.

Comment

Yeah... I was afraid of that. I'm willing to pay $200 total for a decent pair of used Alden 405s, but like you said, no guarantee.

Comment

Well they're over $100 now and not worth the gamble to me. Here's the link if anyone else is interested: http://bit.ly/xx150Z (10.5D)

Comment

OMG! The other pics in the ebay link show a really messed up boot! I can't believe people are paying over 100 for them still! Scuffed leather all over...torn seams...soles in immediate need of replacement...Quite a testament to Alden that a boot in this condition is still fetching such a high dollar.

I think it'll be better to buy a brand new pair of Aldens/wolverines/redwings/Allen Edmonds instead or look at Chippewa/Frye for a more budget but still good quality boot

Comment

Closing price - $167.50. Crazy town.

Comment

WOw that closing price is stupid...I looked at the pictures, what in the world are people thinking. That pisses me off to see boots in that need of repair go for more than some pair of cordovan shoes sell for used.

Comment

That's more than I paid for my shell AE's and mine are near mint

Comment

That closing price is nuts, especially with the $15 shipping on top. I wouldn't have picked those up in a thrift shop for $15. A skilled shoe repairman might be able to make them LOOK pretty good, but there's some serious wear and damage to those uppers. Besides the scuffing, the overall discoloration makes me think that there's probably some kind of salt or chemical damage to the leather which will not simply go away.

I think you're pretty lucky to have lost out on these ones, TBH.

I bought my fully-welted, US-made Chippewas for a lot less than that price. Maybe they're not as nice as Aldens, but I can tell you which one I'd rather have on my feet....

Ben

Comment

Is it routine to send a pair of shoes to the company that made them as opposed to a local, reputable cobbler?

Comment

That closing price makes me think I should choose Alden instead of Allen Edmonds next time I need new shoes...the resale value on Aldens is crazy!

Comment

^ You consider resale value when purchasing shoes?

Comment

Working...
                              X