Shoe care -- Sweaty leather insoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoe care -- Sweaty leather insoles

Not to be gross, but this thread is about sweaty feet.

I recently landed a job that puts me in dress shoes from about 5am when I leave my house to catch a bus to about 7pm. It's a very long day, but rather than being tired or the like, my biggest problem/concern is how to take care of my shoes. I am basically on my feet from the minute I get off the bus at 6am to when I get back on at 6pm. I've worn dress shoes for extended periods before, but never with this level of activity nor for the same duration. By the end of the day, again not to be gross, the insides of my shoes are not just damp but visibly and tactically wet. The insoles in particular are darker in color. I'm not concerned about odor because that doesn't seem to be a problem (at least not yet) but wondering if anyone has any tips to reduce sweat or how to deal with inevitable sweat?

I wear wool blend socks (think, typical dress socks) that do a good job of wicking moisture away. My feet get hot during the day, but don't feel sweaty. It isn't until I take off my shoes that I see the wetness. I'm afraid repeated exposure will damage the shoes and want to be proactive about the situation before it gets out of hand.

As soon as I get home, I pop the shoe trees back in. Is there anything else I should be doing considering the inside isn't just slightly damp? Also, do the trees need to smell like cedar to do their jobs or not really? I know one can rough up cedar a bit with sandpaper to get the prominent scent back, but is it doing its job without the scent?

Sorry if this is poorly written, it has been a long couple of days and I usually tank toward the end of the week. Thanks in advance for the help.

The shoe tree's main job is to absorb the water. To do this they should be unvarnished, but they don't have to be freshly sanded or smell like cedar. Other than the shoe trees I'd say definitely let them rest at least one day, and, given your description, probably 2 days. I'd say you should probably have 3 shoes you rotate at least.

I also know some people have had good luck using something like Gold Bond powder in their socks to keep the feet feeling cooler so they don't sweat so much, but I haven't tried it myself.

Comment

Second what JC said, and I am big on the gold bond particularly in the late spring / summer months when i start going sans socks...sand your trees and cedar bars every couple of months...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
      I>0<I

Comment

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I'll give gold bond a shot and may experiment with different socks. Still, being trapped inside a shoe for close to 14 hours is tough on the leather I'm sure.

Comment

yea, it will be so its definately in your best iterest to invest in 2 or 3 more pairs, becasue the longevity of your shoe will be greatly cut with that type of wear...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
          I>0<I

Comment

Aside from the recommendations to rotate your shoes, you can try adding thin sock liners to your feet, worn under your socks. They're made of that same material that athletic clothing is made of to help wick away moisture. They carry them at REI and relatively inexpensive.

They are thin enough where you could just get a couple of pairs and hand wash them after each use, hang dry them, and rotate them.

http://www.rei.com/product/242098/wigwam-gobi-liners

Comment

Working...
            X